Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   My Downtube touring bike (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/383121-my-downtube-touring-bike.html)

cmcanulty 01-28-08 09:37 AM

My Downtube touring bike
 
9 Attachment(s)
I finally got my 2007 Downtube NS fixed up like I want, front rack, fender extender for rear, and added a 39 chainring. I have since found out I could of put on a 38. I may sometime change the big ring to a 53 or 54. I will shift by hand, no front derailleur. The front rack is $7.99 at Nashbar. I found that by tipping it forward regular panniers fit to hub better but it easily will go flat if you prefer. The fender extender is from a gallon milk jug-gives just the correct curve, covered with duct tape and attached with 2 large paperclips, easily removable for dry days. Here are some pics and some pics of the homemade trailer wheels I made to tow suitcase with. I will tour with the panniers and racks when going greyhound and the trailer when flying. Still looking for a cheapo 31" hard suitcase. Oh and I included a picture of my service dog that goes with me everywhere, Rosie a 7lb Yorkie.

cmcanulty 01-28-08 09:47 AM

PS I fogot, the front rack doesn't interfere with the fold.

Baldone 01-28-08 11:28 AM

Thanks for sharing.

cyclistjohn 01-28-08 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcanulty (Post 6064059)
I finally got my 2007 Downtube NS fixed up like I want, front rack, fender extender for rear, and added a 39 chainring.

Thanks cmcanulty.

Are your pix really that small, or do you have big ones somewhere? :-)

Try as I might, I can't get > thumb size :-(

cmcanulty 01-28-08 12:53 PM

I couldn't get my pictures to ever load, too large so downloaded free easy thumbnails, it makes your pictures small for posting, the large ones are better but I can't figure out how to get them below the 100KB limit for attachments
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php?2.93

invisiblehand 01-28-08 01:58 PM

Could you put on a front derailer if you wanted to?

Foldable Two 01-28-08 02:24 PM

This FREE Microsoft program works really well. It will allow you to make images them small, medium or large.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Small always works for posting on Bike Forums, but Medium will come in under the limit, too, if the original isn't a really big file. Also, works great for e-mailing pictures.

cmcanulty 01-28-08 06:10 PM

Maybe you can put a front derailleur, if there is room on the tube for it the thickness of the tube and the space for it are unknowns. I figured this cost $10 was a 5 min fix and when I am climbing I can leave it on small ring as the 39F-11R gear should be fine for most situations.What I wish I had researched more was the search for a <39 tooth ring with the 130 bolt circle. Yan told me 39 was the smallest but I now know 38 is available, anyone know of smaller still? I also figured ride it a while and if I need lower (I love really low gears as I drive very seldom and carry the dog, groceries, books etc) gears then change the whole crankset.

BruceMetras 01-28-08 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcanulty (Post 6067187)
Maybe you can put a front derailleur, if there is room on the tube for it the thickness of the tube and the space for it are unknowns. I figured this cost $10 was a 5 min fix and when I am climbing I can leave it on small ring as the 39F-11R gear should be fine for most situations.What I wish I had researched more was the search for a <39 tooth ring with the 130 bolt circle. Yan told me 39 was the smallest but I now know 38 is available, anyone know of smaller still? I also figured ride it a while and if I need lower (I love really low gears as I drive very seldom and carry the dog, groceries, books etc) gears then change the whole crankset.

38 teeth is the smallest number of teeth available on 130mm bolt centers, otherwise, anything with less teeth, the fastening bolts would be in the way. Also, you wouldn't see more than 1/2in gear-inch difference between a 39t and a 38t.. assuming you have an 11/32, if you changed out to an 11/34 you would get slightly over 1 gear-inch lower difference... on your bike, approximately a 22.4in low..

jur 01-28-08 09:04 PM

Exactly how do you derail be hand - do you stop for it, or do you have a procedure you can do while riding?

invisiblehand 01-29-08 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceMetras (Post 6067820)
38 teeth is the smallest number of teeth available on 130mm bolt centers, otherwise, anything with less teeth, the fastening bolts would be in the way. Also, you wouldn't see more than 1/2in gear-inch difference between a 39t and a 38t.. assuming you have an 11/32, if you changed out to an 11/34 you would get slightly over 1 gear-inch lower difference... on your bike, approximately a 22.4in low..

Yep ... Bruce beat me to it.

invisiblehand 01-29-08 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcanulty (Post 6067187)
Maybe you can put a front derailleur, if there is room on the tube for it the thickness of the tube and the space for it are unknowns. I figured this cost $10 was a 5 min fix and when I am climbing I can leave it on small ring as the 39F-11R gear should be fine for most situations.What I wish I had researched more was the search for a <39 tooth ring with the 130 bolt circle. Yan told me 39 was the smallest but I now know 38 is available, anyone know of smaller still? I also figured ride it a while and if I need lower (I love really low gears as I drive very seldom and carry the dog, groceries, books etc) gears then change the whole crankset.

By the way, if you keep your eyes open, you can probably find a compact crank (110 BCD) on the cheap that has a minimum 33/34t chainring.

cmcanulty 01-29-08 02:59 PM

To shift by hand just rotate the rear wheel while pushing the chain over, be careful 1st time I pushed it too far and off the inner chainring. I think it is a good compromise to get lower gears and still fold easily.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 AM.