Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My Downtube touring bike

    I finally got my 2007 Downtube NS fixed up like I want, front rack, fender extender for rear, and added a 39 chainring. I have since found out I could of put on a 38. I may sometime change the big ring to a 53 or 54. I will shift by hand, no front derailleur. The front rack is $7.99 at Nashbar. I found that by tipping it forward regular panniers fit to hub better but it easily will go flat if you prefer. The fender extender is from a gallon milk jug-gives just the correct curve, covered with duct tape and attached with 2 large paperclips, easily removable for dry days. Here are some pics and some pics of the homemade trailer wheels I made to tow suitcase with. I will tour with the panniers and racks when going greyhound and the trailer when flying. Still looking for a cheapo 31" hard suitcase. Oh and I included a picture of my service dog that goes with me everywhere, Rosie a 7lb Yorkie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS I fogot, the front rack doesn't interfere with the fold.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I finally got my 2007 Downtube NS fixed up like I want, front rack, fender extender for rear, and added a 39 chainring.
    Thanks cmcanulty.

    Are your pix really that small, or do you have big ones somewhere? :-)

    Try as I might, I can't get > thumb size :-(

  5. #5
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't get my pictures to ever load, too large so downloaded free easy thumbnails, it makes your pictures small for posting, the large ones are better but I can't figure out how to get them below the 100KB limit for attachments
    http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php?2.93

  6. #6
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you put on a front derailer if you wanted to?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Foldable Two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This FREE Microsoft program works really well. It will allow you to make images them small, medium or large.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

    Small always works for posting on Bike Forums, but Medium will come in under the limit, too, if the original isn't a really big file. Also, works great for e-mailing pictures.

  8. #8
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can put a front derailleur, if there is room on the tube for it the thickness of the tube and the space for it are unknowns. I figured this cost $10 was a 5 min fix and when I am climbing I can leave it on small ring as the 39F-11R gear should be fine for most situations.What I wish I had researched more was the search for a <39 tooth ring with the 130 bolt circle. Yan told me 39 was the smallest but I now know 38 is available, anyone know of smaller still? I also figured ride it a while and if I need lower (I love really low gears as I drive very seldom and carry the dog, groceries, books etc) gears then change the whole crankset.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,513
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Maybe you can put a front derailleur, if there is room on the tube for it the thickness of the tube and the space for it are unknowns. I figured this cost $10 was a 5 min fix and when I am climbing I can leave it on small ring as the 39F-11R gear should be fine for most situations.What I wish I had researched more was the search for a <39 tooth ring with the 130 bolt circle. Yan told me 39 was the smallest but I now know 38 is available, anyone know of smaller still? I also figured ride it a while and if I need lower (I love really low gears as I drive very seldom and carry the dog, groceries, books etc) gears then change the whole crankset.
    38 teeth is the smallest number of teeth available on 130mm bolt centers, otherwise, anything with less teeth, the fastening bolts would be in the way. Also, you wouldn't see more than 1/2in gear-inch difference between a 39t and a 38t.. assuming you have an 11/32, if you changed out to an 11/34 you would get slightly over 1 gear-inch lower difference... on your bike, approximately a 22.4in low..

  10. #10
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,181
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly how do you derail be hand - do you stop for it, or do you have a procedure you can do while riding?
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  11. #11
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    38 teeth is the smallest number of teeth available on 130mm bolt centers, otherwise, anything with less teeth, the fastening bolts would be in the way. Also, you wouldn't see more than 1/2in gear-inch difference between a 39t and a 38t.. assuming you have an 11/32, if you changed out to an 11/34 you would get slightly over 1 gear-inch lower difference... on your bike, approximately a 22.4in low..
    Yep ... Bruce beat me to it.

  12. #12
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Maybe you can put a front derailleur, if there is room on the tube for it the thickness of the tube and the space for it are unknowns. I figured this cost $10 was a 5 min fix and when I am climbing I can leave it on small ring as the 39F-11R gear should be fine for most situations.What I wish I had researched more was the search for a <39 tooth ring with the 130 bolt circle. Yan told me 39 was the smallest but I now know 38 is available, anyone know of smaller still? I also figured ride it a while and if I need lower (I love really low gears as I drive very seldom and carry the dog, groceries, books etc) gears then change the whole crankset.
    By the way, if you keep your eyes open, you can probably find a compact crank (110 BCD) on the cheap that has a minimum 33/34t chainring.

  13. #13
    Senior Member cmcanulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To shift by hand just rotate the rear wheel while pushing the chain over, be careful 1st time I pushed it too far and off the inner chainring. I think it is a good compromise to get lower gears and still fold easily.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •