Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    100th Folding Bike + Train Commute!

    Woo hoo, today marks my 100th folding bike + train commute between Center City Philadelphia and Malvern, PA! My first one was Feb 28 last year, so it's almost one year of doing this commute also. It's been a blast and of course I'm going to continue. Here are some stats:

    100 Round Trips on Bike + Train
    850 Miles biked
    5300 Miles Not Driven by Car (Philly to Los Angeles AND back again)
    31500 vertical feet (6 miles) up the Cedar Hollow Rd hill
    220 gallons of gas not purchased
    30,000 Calories burned (8 ˝ lbs of fat) (note that I haven't lost weight, but I've enjoyed eating lots of desserts and cookies and stuff with no guilt)
    $600 dollars saved vs. driving (I Save $6 per round trip counting “everything”)

    oh, and all the benefits: it's fun, it's exercise, I avoid traffic jams and stress, get to read or listen to music for almost an hour each day, interact with people, my dollars are going towards Amtrak and its employees rather than gas companies and the middle east.

    (additional info for the folding bike forum - my Downtube IXNS has held up pretty nicely. The only actual 'upgrade' I did was change the bottom bracket to a Shimano sealed cartridge. Over the past year I had two parts break -- the brake noodle broke in the first week or two. The handlebar quick release nut stripped a couple months back, probably from me tightening it too much. The chain and cassette have a little rust on it, because a couple of times I rode in the rain and didn't really dry off the parts well.)
    Last edited by JugglerDave; 02-15-08 at 06:45 AM. Reason: explain what CC means

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I also commute from center city to Malvern and I applaud your 100th ride! I used to use a folder but I have to ride about 5 miles from the Malvern train station and the folder, unfortunately, was a bit slow on the hills.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe my geography is off, but how does Los Angeles fit into your commute?

  4. #4
    Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Posts
    3,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic! You're walking the walk....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some questions.

    1. Do you use a bag or cover when bringing the bike on Amtrak?

    2. Have you been rejected or had to argue with the Amtrak workers?

    3. Do you think Amtrak would allow a larger 26' inch wheel folder from Dahon?

    4. Where do you park the bike? Overhead rack, by the door or in the luggage area?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    Here are some questions.

    1. Do you use a bag or cover when bringing the bike on Amtrak?

    2. Have you been rejected or had to argue with the Amtrak workers?

    3. Do you think Amtrak would allow a larger 26' inch wheel folder from Dahon?

    4. Where do you park the bike? Overhead rack, by the door or in the luggage area?
    Answers:

    1. No bag or cover, just the bike
    2. Between February and May of 2007 I had problems... on May 7, 2007 the conductor rulebook was amended to specifically mention folding bikes and bring specific instructions and size specifications to what was otherwise a vague website policy. Here is the policy: http://bikefriday.com/images/news/amtrakpolicy07.pdf
    3. Probably not, but depends on the fold: the allowed folded dimensions are 34x15x48.
    4. Never the overhead rack. On the Keystone train I take, there are luggage shelves near the end of each car. There is also a 'coat closet' into which my bike fits perfectly, but often has a broom or (recently) icemelt. In some cars there are no racks so I just lay down the bike near the end of the car where there is extra space, on the opposite side of the wheelchair area.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cmd3 View Post
    Maybe my geography is off, but how does Los Angeles fit into your commute?
    The distance he has traveled is the equivalent of traveling from Philly to LA round trip!!
    He is not riding the the folder to and from Philly to LA!

  8. #8
    Living Life On Two Wheels knatchwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Salinas in California
    My Bikes
    Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not that would be a great tour
    When I go biking, I repeat a mantra of the day's sensations: bright sun, blue sky, warm breeze, blue jay's call, ice melting and so on. This helps me transcend the traffic, ignore the clamorings of work, leave all the mind theaters behind and focus on nature instead. I still must abide by the rules of the road, of biking, of gravity. But I am mentally far away from civilization. The world is breaking someone else's heart. ~Diane Ackerman
    Read More: Bicycling With Knatchwa

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu SL, KHS Mocha w/BionX PL350
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome--thanks for taking the time to track and share this!

  10. #10
    Tęte de Limace gurana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    '05 Specialized Allez Sport Triple
    Posts
    1,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post
    Woo hoo, today marks my 100th folding bike + train commute between Center City Philadelphia and Malvern, PA! My first one was Feb 28 last year, so it's almost one year of doing this commute also. It's been a blast and of course I'm going to continue. Here are some stats:

    100 Round Trips on Bike + Train
    850 Miles biked
    5300 Miles Not Driven by Car (Philly to Los Angeles AND back again)
    31500 vertical feet (6 miles) up the Cedar Hollow Rd hill
    220 gallons of gas not purchased
    30,000 Calories burned (8 ˝ lbs of fat) (note that I haven't lost weight, but I've enjoyed eating lots of desserts and cookies and stuff with no guilt)
    $600 dollars saved vs. driving (I Save $6 per round trip counting “everything”)

    oh, and all the benefits: it's fun, it's exercise, I avoid traffic jams and stress, get to read or listen to music for almost an hour each day, interact with people, my dollars are going towards Amtrak and its employees rather than gas companies and the middle east.

    (additional info for the folding bike forum - my Downtube IXNS has held up pretty nicely. The only actual 'upgrade' I did was change the bottom bracket to a Shimano sealed cartridge. Over the past year I had two parts break -- the brake noodle broke in the first week or two. The handlebar quick release nut stripped a couple months back, probably from me tightening it too much. The chain and cassette have a little rust on it, because a couple of times I rode in the rain and didn't really dry off the parts well.)
    Dave, it's funny, but I was looking for info on folding bikes and I remember you telling me at last years Lancaster covered bridges that your other bike was a folder for commuting. Congratulations!

    Les Douleurs de la Mort. :: Sed fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    200th Folding Bike + Train commute!

    Today is my 200th folding bike + train commute. It keeps getting more fun and much more enjoyable than driving on the Schuylkill 'Expressway'.

    latest stats:
    200 Round Trips on Bike + Train
    1700 Miles biked
    10,600 Miles Not Driven by Car (almost a full year of typical car use)
    63000 vertical feet (12 vertical miles) up the Cedar Hollow Rd hill
    440 gallons of gas not purchased
    60,000 Calories burned (17 lbs of fat)
    $1600 dollars saved vs. driving (Save $8 per round trip counting “everything”)
    Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post
    Woo hoo, today marks my 100th folding bike + train commute between Center City Philadelphia and Malvern, PA! My first one was Feb 28 last year, so it's almost one year of doing this commute also. It's been a blast and of course I'm going to continue. Here are some stats:

    100 Round Trips on Bike + Train
    850 Miles biked
    5300 Miles Not Driven by Car (Philly to Los Angeles AND back again)
    31500 vertical feet (6 miles) up the Cedar Hollow Rd hill
    220 gallons of gas not purchased
    30,000 Calories burned (8 ˝ lbs of fat) (note that I haven't lost weight, but I've enjoyed eating lots of desserts and cookies and stuff with no guilt)
    $600 dollars saved vs. driving (I Save $6 per round trip counting “everything”)

    oh, and all the benefits: it's fun, it's exercise, I avoid traffic jams and stress, get to read or listen to music for almost an hour each day, interact with people, my dollars are going towards Amtrak and its employees rather than gas companies and the middle east.

    (additional info for the folding bike forum - my Downtube IXNS has held up pretty nicely. The only actual 'upgrade' I did was change the bottom bracket to a Shimano sealed cartridge. Over the past year I had two parts break -- the brake noodle broke in the first week or two. The handlebar quick release nut stripped a couple months back, probably from me tightening it too much. The chain and cassette have a little rust on it, because a couple of times I rode in the rain and didn't really dry off the parts well.)

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lalato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bay Area and Sacramento
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Tikit
    Posts
    1,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at about 17 round trips from Champaign-Urbana to Chicago via Amtrak (I go up on Monday night and return either Thursday night or Friday morning). I'm at about 100 round trips via Metra from Chicago to Lombard. I'm at about 100 total trips on the "L" with a folding bike (about 1/3 during rush hour).

    I've saved about $500 since I started in May. If Amtrak and Metra ran at slightly more convenient times, it would be perfect. As it stands... it's merely fantastic.

    --sam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •