Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   help with my 20!? (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/389115-help-my-20-a.html)

roseskunk 02-17-08 06:37 PM

help with my 20!?
 
hi folks- so i've got this raleigh twenty gathering dust. i recently bought a moulton and my money and energy have gone that way... so i'm trying to decide what i want to do with the twenty... she's missing the brakes but is otherwise all there. so i'm eother going to sell her off the way she is, or i'm going to do a cheap fix to get her running and i'm looking for opinions... i want to get alloy rims for it, would bmx rims be okay or is there a better option?

and then for brakes, i can spend 100 bucks for an sa three speed with a coaster brake- i still won't have a front brake- but i'd rather use the existing three speed, no coaster, but it's otherwise fine and i save 100 bucks... are there any existing brakes that will fit the twenty without frame mods? i do have the original fenders but might go with something newer and lighter... i know there's a lot out there about the twentys and i will look at them as well, but i just wanted some great opinions on this thing. i'll et pics up soon, i promise! thanks in advance. :)

roseskunk 02-17-08 08:31 PM

okay, how about the sachs vt5000 front drum brake for the twenty? do i still need a rear brake? man, i just missed a pair of weinman 1020 braks on ebay- went for 99 cents! two hours ago...

roseskunk 02-17-08 08:32 PM

and are all alloy rims created equal? my lbs has some bmx rims... should i go for something better?

LittlePixel 02-18-08 04:02 AM

Some modern BMX rims can be a bit wide or have too many spokes for use on a Twenty but in general the answer is yes. Be sure to check what size rims the Twenty has already - some have ISO 406 wheels (BMX size) and some have the bigger ISO 451 which is a different size altogether and harder to source parts for.

If yours has the smaller 406 wheels then this influences the brake calipers you source and you'll need to find ones with a fairly long reach as the frame is the same regardless of the wheels that were originally fitted.

I'd shy away from a front-brake only option - it's actually how I ride a lot of bikes but it requires a certain amount of experience to use just the front safely without doing endos.

Hope that's some help. Twenty's are ace bikes - I hope you have fun getting her roadworthy again!

jur 02-18-08 05:01 AM

Over here in Oz I have found that BMXers race on skinny (relatively speaking) 451s.

raleighrider75 02-18-08 10:30 PM

If you can find bmx rims like these.It makes it much easier to handle when folding and loading into the trunk of the car.And it gives a much cleaner look as well.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...Mini-small.jpg

kpug505 02-18-08 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raleighrider75 (Post 6190137)
If you can find bmx rims like these.It makes it much easier to handle when folding and loading into the trunk of the car.And it gives a much cleaner look as well.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...Mini-small.jpg

Oh snap!^^^^ Skyway mags! Gawd, why didn't I think of that! That is sweet! I am so going with some skyways.......

Sixty Fiver 02-18-08 10:50 PM

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/phillips20b.jpg

I used BMX wheels (20 x 2 - 406's) for my Twenty... the front wheel was a direct swap for the stock wheel while I had to lace the new wheel to the original SA hub.

I run 20 by 2 Specialized tyres as the bike does see a variety of terrain ranging from pavement, MUTS, and even snow.

With the swap to alloy wheel the factory brakes actually do a good job stopping the bike but I do have plans to replace the fork with one that will accommodate v-brakes and further improve the braking. I already have a new stem and bars to go with a standard headset.

It is a fabulous bike that does not know it's little.

Sirrus Rider 02-19-08 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseskunk (Post 6182945)
hi folks- so i've got this raleigh twenty gathering dust. i recently bought a moulton and my money and energy have gone that way... so i'm trying to decide what i want to do with the twenty... she's missing the brakes but is otherwise all there. so i'm eother going to sell her off the way she is, or i'm going to do a cheap fix to get her running and i'm looking for opinions... i want to get alloy rims for it, would bmx rims be okay or is there a better option?

and then for brakes, i can spend 100 bucks for an sa three speed with a coaster brake- i still won't have a front brake- but i'd rather use the existing three speed, no coaster, but it's otherwise fine and i save 100 bucks... are there any existing brakes that will fit the twenty without frame mods? i do have the original fenders but might go with something newer and lighter... i know there's a lot out there about the twentys and i will look at them as well, but i just wanted some great opinions on this thing. i'll et pics up soon, i promise! thanks in advance. :)

If you plan to continue to run fenderless then I would suggest improvising a set of drop-down bolts for a set of modern side pulls like how Sheldon Brown did his eight speed Raleigh 20.



if you're planning to run fenders than you really need to come up with a set of long reach brakes like what was originally on the bike or alternatively you can try a hybrid solution to and fit the bike with a front drum brake and either create a step down bolt or scrounge a long reach side pull. This could have interesting possibilities particularly if you go with a Sturmey-Archer X-FDD Generator/Drum Brake Hub on the front as you can also incorporate generator lighting.

BMX rims would work; however, make sure you get the 406 size with 36 spokes.


As for fenders you're pretty much stuck with what came with the bike as no one makes a set of polycarbonate fenders that would work

kpug505 02-19-08 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider (Post 6190658)
As for fenders you're pretty much stuck with what came with the bike as no one makes a set of polycarbonate fenders that would work

I don't know about that.....

http://store.bikefriday.com/images/parts/489.jpg

Bike friday makes a set that looks easily modified.

SKS makes a set they claim fits all 20" bikes.

http://www.dahon.com/images/detail/large/dsks.jpg

Not the cheapest option but some wood ones would be sweet too.....

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/images/Fender0054.jpg

And with the "reach around" mounting hardware brake clearance is no longer an issue. They sell the reach arounds individually as well.......

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/images/Fender0012.jpg
http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pro...roducts_id=505

Kelly D

Sixty Fiver 02-19-08 02:29 AM

I don't always allow bikes in the house but it was tucked away in the entry.

The fenders on my Twenty are both front fenders from 26 inch bikes... simple, inexpensive, and they work great.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/phillips20d.jpg

Sirrus Rider 02-19-08 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpug505 (Post 6190721)
I don't know about that.....

http://store.bikefriday.com/images/parts/489.jpg

Bike friday makes a set that looks easily modified.

SKS makes a set they claim fits all 20" bikes.

http://www.dahon.com/images/detail/large/dsks.jpg

Not the cheapest option but some wood ones would be sweet too.....

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/images/Fender0054.jpg

And with the "reach around" mounting hardware brake clearance is no longer an issue. They sell the reach arounds individually as well.......

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/images/Fender0012.jpg
http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pro...roducts_id=505

Kelly D

Okay.. I stand corrected.. Thanks!

Sammyboy 02-19-08 03:02 AM

Bear in mind that if you use Skyways or any other mag (if you're gonna do it, buy new; it's much cheaper than vintage skyways), you lose the opportunity to run anything other than single speed.

kpug505 02-19-08 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammyboy (Post 6190809)
Bear in mind that if you use Skyways or any other mag (if you're gonna do it, buy new; it's much cheaper than vintage skyways), you lose the opportunity to run anything other than single speed.

Thats cool. It's a single now and it's pretty flat here. I hear ya on the price of new versus used or NOS. NOS ones are through the roof! I don't think I'd buy used anyways unless they looked new and were super cheap. The new ones have better hubs and used ones are usually pretty chewed up....

Kelly D

LittlePixel 02-19-08 05:09 PM

I was gonna run a skyway on the front of mine but I was new to the Twenty thing and didn't realise it wouldn't fit the forks, nor would my skinny tyres fit the rim... (At the time I was toying with keeping the stock chrome mudguards (fenders) too

Pic of mockup that proves I tried:
http://littlepixel.info/twenty/Basement_01.jpg

roseskunk 02-20-08 10:07 PM

this is great guys, thanks. i'm having trinity bikes build up some alloy rims on the sa hub and original front hub. i was thinking of doing a coaster brake rear, but i didn't like the idea of not using the original hub...i'll just keep looking for some 1020 brakes- does anyone know what the reach needed is? those tektro556's go to 73, but i don't even think that's long enough... and i might go with bike friday fenders... i have woodys on my surly lht but i need to be pretty cheap for this bike as i just bought a moulton, and as of about 15 minutes ago, a super course... :o

Sixty Fiver 02-20-08 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePixel (Post 6194201)
I was gonna run a skyway on the front of mine but I was new to the Twenty thing and didn't realise it wouldn't fit the forks, nor would my skinny tyres fit the rim... (At the time I was toying with keeping the stock chrome mudguards (fenders) too

Pic of mockup that proves I tried:
http://littlepixel.info/twenty/Basement_01.jpg

The stock forks on a Twenty are too narrow for modern axles and need to be carefully ground - on the bottom side - to accommodate a modern wheel.

It isn't hard but does require a steady hand and a little patience.

kpug505 02-20-08 11:30 PM

I ran across this little bit thanks to Sheldon. I think that while it's not the cleanest looking fix for your brake reach problem it might and most likely would function the best.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/dropbolt-r20.jpg

Here is the article on how Sheldon solved the problem:
http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

And his page dedicated to the 20 specifically:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html

I can't believe how valuable a resource his pages are. I use them virtually every day and learn something new every time. I hope that I can make such a lasting impression on the world and I really hope his family knows how important he really is. Thanks Sheldon!

roseskunk 02-21-08 08:24 PM

thanks kpug. i've seen that before. at this point i'm just kind of waiting to see some original weinmann 1020's show up on ebay. i'm not in any rush as i have more bikes... well, uh, more bikes than a baseball team could ride at once...

jur 02-21-08 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokaimo (Post 6203665)
OT: Thanks for this tip kpug...this would fix the clearance problem I have with the rear fender on my Dahon (from installing mini-v's). And readily made from spare parts...looks pretty much like a seatpost strut from a rear rack.

Hey, I like your sig line ;)

kpug505 02-21-08 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseskunk (Post 6209142)
thanks kpug. i've seen that before. at this point i'm just kind of waiting to see some original weinmann 1020's show up on ebay. i'm not in any rush as i have more bikes... well, uh, more bikes than a baseball team could ride at once...

Ha! I know what you mean...Every time I get a bike I get one similar to it for my GF. I've got one for just about every purpose and then some. Last time I counted I was up to 22 riders! That doesn't include the projects, flippers or the secret stash at work;)

jur 02-21-08 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpug505 (Post 6210079)
Ha! I know what you mean...Every time I get a bike I get one similar to it for my GF. I've got one for just about every purpose and then some. Last time I counted I was up to 22 riders! That doesn't include the projects, flippers or the secret stash at work;)

Wow you are in a different league! :D :beer:

jur 02-23-08 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokaimo (Post 6215018)
Why thank you Jur! It's from the Wikipedia entry on "speed wobble'. Y'know, I find the information on Wikipedia sometimes mildly to wildly inaccurate. But let me tell you, that statement is the complete and utter truth.

Heh heh, now you've made my day.

I wrote that article. :D

alecw35 02-24-08 09:39 AM

Hey some wheels have real thick lock nuts on there. So you could swap them for the thin ones so they may fit between the fork drop outs.

Of course the axle wouldnt fit into there as the drop outs are for a 5/16th inch axle. Ive fitted a 3/8" axle into a old raleigh front wheel. Never tried to go the other way. Ive got loads of bike parts to experiment with though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.