Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    Life in Mono
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    5 bikes, all the usual types
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reviews Jur .. nothing like back to back tests.

    It looks like wives are getting in on our folder fun - in my case mrs.SS prefering the smaller wheels - infact they have got her back into cycling again .. for fun and commuting.

  2. #27
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,102
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well MrsJ vetoed the Racer and chose the Offroad in Canberra, based on its color (black) (I agree - it looks a lot better) and the fact that it is right as-is for her wrt equipment.

    She has never ridden drops and she doesn't feel inclined to learn either. We are both fine all day on flat bars (I think the "more hand positions" argument for drop bars is a bit over-rated - people ride on the hoods most of the time, and flatbars with bar-ends are very close if you discount the drops which is mostly used in fast descending, not something she is interested in, plus flatbars are a bit wider). So I would have to fit flatbars, but then the brakes become a bit of an issue.

    The Canberra Reach comes with a folding luggage rack, also something we want. So we have paid and are awaiting delivery. Price incl delivery was $1600, that is a discounted price according to the dealer (but they always say that anyway). Photos will be taken hopefully over this weekend.

  3. #28
    SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome kb5ql's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That reach with the suspension fork should be a nice upgrade.

    Let us know the unladen weight when you get it!

  4. #29
    Life in Mono
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    5 bikes, all the usual types
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    She has never ridden drops and she doesn't feel inclined to learn either. We are both fine all day on flat bars (I think the "more hand positions" argument for drop bars is a bit over-rated - people ride on the hoods most of the time, and flatbars with bar-ends are very close if you discount the drops which is mostly used in fast descending, not something she is interested in, plus flatbars are a bit wider). So I would have to fit flatbars, but then the brakes become a bit of an issue.
    Totally agree with this - I've not really missed Drops since my 20's - they are part of the 'roadie culture clique'... fine for a serious race but pretty useless for most rides.

  5. #30
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jur,

    Very cool bike. I wish I could see one in person. When looking for a new, faster bike for this year, the Racer and Offroad was way up there on my list. It's tough to find them on Ebay, though!

    Give us a review after a few miles.



    P.S. I spend a lot of time in my drops, probably 75% of my riding. If the seat is positioned correctly, I find it plenty comfortable and definitely faster.

  6. #31
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Simon View Post
    Totally agree with this - I've not really missed Drops since my 20's - they are part of the 'roadie culture clique'... fine for a serious race but pretty useless for most rides.
    You know, part of me agrees with you; I sort of hate that bent over position. I don't see well out of my right eye (lets say it has practically useless vision) and driving on the left in Britain, that's a real handicap for overtaking parked cars, or other riders. I need to get my head RIGHT around to see over the right shoulder, because it has to be the 20:20 left eye. that checks on what's about to squash me like a bug. Drops make that much harder for me and I favour an upright position like the Merc gives me. HOWEVER - the TSR has drops, which I ride on the hoods mostly, but hell, when I get a headwind or feel the need to hold 25mph for a while, do I notice the difference when I go into the tucked position. At 10 or 12 mph, wind resistance is nothing. Not so at 20 - 30, or when you're trying to maintain 12 - 14 mph into a stiff headwind.
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Twain

  7. #32
    Senior Member stevegor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jur, Simple Simon and EvilV,

    Firstly, I usually agree with most of what you guys say, however, not this time
    Second, I could be annoyed and offended, but I'm not.

    Like most people on this forum I have cycled for many years using all types of handle bars and for me the most comfortable is the racing drops. When riding my R20 "the hoods" position give me a bit more room to stretch out, the tucked in position on the drops is ideal for serious speed ie down hill and sprinting and there are 2 other positions, namely, the flat part of the bar near the stem and on top of the curve of the drops.
    I've tried flat bars with bar ends on short and long rides and I always return to the drop bars, it's not because I'm a "nancy-boy poser" ... I simply find them better.
    Please credit me with some respect and brains before telling me that I'm not setting the flat bars up correctly, I don't know much about a lot of things, but.....things of cycling I do.
    What it all boils down to is this...you ride with what you feel the most comfortable with, if you don't have much experience with drops please don't make comments without knowledge....

    Thus the sermon and rantings of stevegor endeth.
    Last edited by stevegor; 02-27-08 at 10:42 AM. Reason: correction

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Well MrsJ vetoed the Racer and chose the Offroad in Canberra, based on its color (black) (I agree - it looks a lot better) and the fact that it is right as-is for her wrt equipment.

    She has never ridden drops and she doesn't feel inclined to learn either. We are both fine all day on flat bars (I think the "more hand positions" argument for drop bars is a bit over-rated - people ride on the hoods most of the time, and flatbars with bar-ends are very close if you discount the drops which is mostly used in fast descending, not something she is interested in, plus flatbars are a bit wider). So I would have to fit flatbars, but then the brakes become a bit of an issue.

    The Canberra Reach comes with a folding luggage rack, also something we want. So we have paid and are awaiting delivery. Price incl delivery was $1600, that is a discounted price according to the dealer (but they always say that anyway). Photos will be taken hopefully over this weekend.
    Quite a bit of "we" in the above writings, my thinking is once the Reach comes into stock, the Mrs. better develop an appreciation for the Raliegh...

  9. #34
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SteveGore!!

    Wazup Dude?????

    Maybe the above is a joke I'm too stoopid to catch. If not, maybe you should read what I said.

    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Twain

  10. #35
    Senior Member stevegor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    SteveGore!!

    Wazup Dude?????

    Maybe the above is a joke I'm too stoopid to catch. If not, maybe you should read what I said.


    Sorry mate, I work afternoon shift, missed tea, got a pizza very late, and the driver forgot the drink, ate too much, damn anchovies woke me up in the wee hours, literally 'cos I couldn't drink enough water to quench the salty thirst, it's TTOTM....no wait, I'm a bloke, umm....couldn't get back to sleep, angry, it was 3:30am, now too tired to go for a ride
    I promise I won't go off like that again.....but I still reckon drops are better
    .....for me.

  11. #36
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,102
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegor View Post
    I promise I won't go off like that again.....but I still reckon drops are better
    .....for me.
    Perhaps you read more into my post than intended... all I said was the the "more hand positions" argument for drop bars are a bit over-rated... didn't mean to say that everybody who thinks they are better are bike nazis I think once you are used to a style of bars that is what you prefer, not necessarily because they are better.

    heh heh, when SWMBO tried out the Reach Racer she wobbled around so much she asked me to lower the saddle until she could reach the ground with her feet while seated

  12. #37
    Senior Member stevegor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Perhaps you read more into my post than intended... all I said was the the "more hand positions" argument for drop bars are a bit over-rated... didn't mean to say that everybody who thinks they are better are bike nazis I think once you are used to a style of bars that is what you prefer, not necessarily because they are better.

    heh heh, when SWMBO tried out the Reach Racer she wobbled around so much she asked me to lower the saddle until she could reach the ground with her feet while seated

    Jur,
    For the many minutes I've known you........you're right, didn't mean to be a nasty old fart, I think my reply to EvilV sums up my state of mental fraility at that hour......I'm getting better.

    Oh yeah mate, how lucky are you that Connie wants a good bike and she rides with you? and how lucky is she that you've bought her the Reach......My SWMBO's modded R20 will hopefully whet her appetite for something like that too.
    Last edited by stevegor; 02-27-08 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add more

  13. #38
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegor View Post
    Sorry mate, I work afternoon shift, missed tea, got a pizza very late, and the driver forgot the drink, ate too much, damn anchovies woke me up in the wee hours, literally 'cos I couldn't drink enough water to quench the salty thirst, it's TTOTM....no wait, I'm a bloke, umm....couldn't get back to sleep, angry, it was 3:30am, now too tired to go for a ride I promise I won't go off like that again.
    Don't worry about it mate - I'm barely sane at the best of times let alone in the middle of the night if I wake up with indigestion.

    but I still reckon drops are better for me.
    I was saying drops were faster myself, though they make it hard to look behind for me, because I only have good vision in one eye, and have to screw my head right around. maybe I should get a mirror.
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Twain

  14. #39
    Senior Member stevegor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    Don't worry about it mate - I'm barely sane at the best of times let alone in the middle of the night if I wake up with indigestion.

    I was saying drops were faster myself, though they make it hard to look behind for me, because I only have good vision in one eye, and have to screw my head right around. maybe I should get a mirror.
    At least you have one good eye!!, if I don't wear my specs or contacts I'm as blind as a bat, have been since I was a kid. Made life interesting when I was surfing...I could see the waves rolling in and I had enough sight to enjoy what I was doing, but I couldn't distinguish between the chop and shark fins
    In fact, one morning paddling way out to the waves, I was about 10 feet from an approaching wave when a big blackish object burst out of the wave's face right in front of me.....it was a seal, popping in to say "Hello there, matey"....well, I needed to change my wetsuit after that.

    I think in your case EvilV, a mirror might be a very good idea, better that than taking a tumble.

  15. #40
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegor View Post
    At least you have one good eye!!, if I don't wear my specs or contacts I'm as blind as a bat, have been since I was a kid. Made life interesting when I was surfing...I could see the waves rolling in and I had enough sight to enjoy what I was doing, but I couldn't distinguish between the chop and shark fins
    In fact, one morning paddling way out to the waves, I was about 10 feet from an approaching wave when a big blackish object burst out of the wave's face right in front of me.....it was a seal, popping in to say "Hello there, matey"....well, I needed to change my wetsuit after that.
    Check this out and then stay away from that water ->

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6mWzI5anxI


    And here's another reason why your bike is safer than your board ->

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA8zQw6gDNI&NR=1
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." - Mark Twain

  16. #41
    Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Posts
    3,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    Check this out and then stay away from that water ->

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6mWzI5anxI


    And here's another reason why your bike is safer than your board ->

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA8zQw6gDNI&NR=1
    Wow! That octopus video was amazing!!!

  17. #42
    Life in Mono
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    5 bikes, all the usual types
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re - drops ... Nah Worries Steve .... No Nazis here.
    and Evil ... I agree the headwind situation is the one time when I'd put minimising profile ahead of my old creaking back and neck - so when not on drops have to bend them arms more.

    TOP vids ... Thanks

  18. #43
    Senior Member stevegor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    Check this out and then stay away from that water ->

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6mWzI5anxI


    And here's another reason why your bike is safer than your board ->

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA8zQw6gDNI&NR=1

    and more

    The scary part was, wetsuits in those days were mainly black....just like a seal, and where I surfed was near the migratory route that white pointers, (or great whites) followed, from the coast of South Africa to The Great Australian Bight....ha ha...BITE......get it?
    I've been called out of the water by lifeguards for a shark alert, they went in in a motorised inflatible and hit it, (the shark...not the boat...would be pretty silly going all the way out there just to hit the boat), with the paddle to scare it off, then the engine conked out and a man-powered surf rowing boat had to go out and rescue them.
    Sounds kinda funny, don't it?....betcha the BIG shark wasn't laughin'.

  19. #44
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,102
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon I recognise that shark clip. Taken in False Bay off Cape Town. It is a popular place to watch the sharks hit seals. The brown haze in the distance is air pollution from cooking fires in huge squatter camps in the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •