Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Where to store folding bike?

    I was wondering if everyone who owns a folding bike is paranoid about someone stealing it.

    It seems like a bike that I'm going to spend 600-1,600 on will prob become a burden on days I use it because I can never take my eyes off it.

    Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to store or protect their folding bikes.

    Also, how do you deal with always having to worry about having it stolen.

    Thanks in advance, rob

  2. #2
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,311
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Don't buy a bike you can't afford to replace.
    2) If you're paranoid, bring the bike indoors.
    3) If you can't bring the bike indoors, get a big Kryptonite lock and *fully* register it in the alloted time.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Swift folder, single speed
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to figure out how to best carry it (Swift) around with me in my pickup truck with shell. I don't want to have anything visible that looks too attractive to a thief. Usually I cover things up with old clothes and stuff, but I don't know if that will work with this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Derby UK
    My Bikes
    Claud Butler Mountain Bike
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also remove some easliy detachable small parts from it, such as clamp screws, so that it would be necessary to obtain replacements before the bike could be ridden.
    This may not prevent someone stealing it, but at least they won't be able to ride it, or even demonstrate it's features prior to selling it on.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bestfoldingbike View Post
    I was wondering if everyone who owns a folding bike is paranoid about someone stealing it.

    It seems like a bike that I'm going to spend 600-1,600 on will prob become a burden on days I use it because I can never take my eyes off it.

    Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to store or protect their folding bikes.

    Also, how do you deal with always having to worry about having it stolen.

    Thanks in advance, rob
    Renter's or home owner's should cover it if it's stolen. I have successfully taken mine into restaurants, movie theaters, office buildings, shops, grocery stores, and once on a bus. The whole idea is to take it with you. As came up in your other posting, the ability to roll it makes that more of a reality.

    My tikit rolls well enough on the front tire as is designed, but my wife can't roll hers because she lacks the wrist strength to keep it from tipping while she's rolling it. The wheel is off center, so not exactly balanced. The Strida looks like it rolls best of any I've seen so far, more like a golf bag cart. The bikes with small suitcase style rollers like the Brommie get hung up on small things.

    Since a tikit is included in your price range, it wouldn't hurt to look at one if you want a stoutly made bike. It's pretty solid as folders go. The folded size may disappoint you, but it is a little better than a bike that folds in half, and you don't have to readjust the seat height. My wife has the tikit with the manual handle post knob, and it is a slightly more rigid bike than mine with the cable system. I'd recommend hers over mine, and it's cheaper.

    These bikes are highly inefficient to lock up outside, so I've never even tried. I'd just ride one of my regular bikes if that was the intent. These folders spend a lot of time in the trunk, which is convenient. If we are out shopping we'll centrally locate the car and take off on bikes. To expose the true laziness of the bike thief, replace all the quick releases on your bike with standard bolts and absolutely no one will come near it. That and a good diamond chain or U-Lock and you're all set.

  6. #6
    lube addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central coast California
    My Bikes
    Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removable pedals, like MKS EZY, can deter the opportunist when he sees there are no pedals. For that matter you can remove the seat post as well. Tuck it and the pedals behind your truck's seat in the cab if you store the bike in the shell. Use the Kryptonite if outside.

  7. #7
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I devoted a whole section to this topic. See Security at:

    http://www.geocities.com/folder_fanatic/Security.html

  8. #8
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bestfoldingbike View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to store or protect their folding bikes.

    Thanks in advance, rob
    I keep my Tikit with me when I go anywhere so it would be pretty hard to steal. At home it stays in my apartment on the 11th floor which makes it fairly secure.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    .. The whole idea is to take it with you. As came up in your other posting, the ability to roll it makes that more of a reality.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    My tikit rolls well enough on the front tire as is designed, but my wife can't roll hers because she lacks the wrist strength to keep it from tipping while she's rolling it. The wheel is off center, so not exactly balanced.
    Interesting, can you expand on that please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    The Strida looks like it rolls best of any I've seen so far, more like a golf bag cart.
    We're just back from a longish holiday with ours, & they've been (un)folded numerous times, mostly to demonstrate to intrigued onlookers :-)
    Our favourite supermarket whilst away, "New World", really surprised us, in that *every store* we went into had interested staff - one check out girl wrote down Strida's web address to follow up, & the manager of one of their stores was contemplating the idea of importing them!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    These bikes are highly inefficient to lock up outside, so I've never even tried.
    If we are out shopping we'll centrally locate the car and take off on bikes.
    Just the same for us :-)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a Brompton you can fit a standard U-lock through both wheels and the frame when it's folded. It won't keep someone from walking off with the whole thing locked together, but they might think twice if they don't know if they'll ever be able to unfold it.
    Salsa La Cruz--one bike for everything

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclistjohn View Post
    Interesting, can you expand on that please?
    In a largely exaggerated example, imagine pushing a wheelbarrow with only one handle. The wheel and the handle are not in the same plane so there is a bit of eccentricity to cope with. I am able to muscle it along, but my wife is not. A lap around the market and my arm begins to tire. The Strida looks like that wouldn't be an issue.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Swift folder, single speed
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
    I devoted a whole section to this topic. See Security at:

    http://www.geocities.com/folder_fanatic/Security.html



    I just watched this disturbing video on your website, FF:

    http://www.blip.tv/file/252942/

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Swift folder, single speed
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chainstrainer View Post
    Removable pedals, like MKS EZY, can deter the opportunist when he sees there are no pedals. For that matter you can remove the seat post as well. Tuck it and the pedals behind your truck's seat in the cab if you store the bike in the shell. Use the Kryptonite if outside.
    The doped up thief won't even notice any of that. Guess I'll just toss a dirty old tarp and some crap on top of it.

  14. #14
    lube addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central coast California
    My Bikes
    Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    The doped up thief won't even notice any of that. Guess I'll just toss a dirty old tarp and some crap on top of it.
    Better yet use camouflage. Take an old sleeping bag and use glue, hook-and-loop tape or stitching to attach trash to it - soda cans and bottles, old newspapers, worn sneakers, beach towels, dirty underwear, etc. No one will bother with breaking in because of the "homeless-and-sleeping-in-the-truck" look. You can remove the camouflage cover as a single object instead of spending time digging the bike out of the crap piled on top of it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    I just watched this disturbing video on your website, FF:

    http://www.blip.tv/file/252942/
    If bikes were supposed to be there, where are the bike racks? I think that perhaps there weren't any. All cities are pretty prominent about only putting bikes on racks. If you tie it up to anything else (stop signs, meters, etc.) you are technically in the wrong and the city can choose to remove your bike. If the city refuses to place racks, then you have grounds for a fight. Business owners can also purchase bike racks and obtain city permits to place them in various locations. Basically, if you're going to be gone for more than 5 minutes, don't put your bike anywhere but on a bike rack. They would do the same thing to a bunch of Harley owners who parked on the sidewalk.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Swift folder, single speed
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chain - My truck already has that very fashionable homeless and sleeping in it look, since i do sleep in it and use it as a camper. Plenty of junk and sleeping bags to toss atop the bike.

    Mr Smith - This is NYC they're talking about, not a college campus. Bike racks, what bike racks? In NYC, if the criminals don't get you, the meter maids and the cops will get you. I am so f'ing glad I got out of there!

  17. #17
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    In a largely exaggerated example, imagine pushing a wheelbarrow with only one handle. The wheel and the handle are not in the same plane so there is a bit of eccentricity to cope with. I am able to muscle it along, but my wife is not. A lap around the market and my arm begins to tire. The Strida looks like that wouldn't be an issue.
    Just a suggestion - I roll my Tikit in two ways:

    1 - handle low and bike out in front. This gives me better control [like when I want to rush to catch a bus], but I have to support more of the bike's weight.

    2 - handle high and bike more directly underneath it. This is fine for moving slowly while browsing in a shop and I don't have to support much of the bike's weight as it is balance on the wheel.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Mr Smith - This is NYC they're talking about, not a college campus. Bike racks, what bike racks? In NYC, if the criminals don't get you, the meter maids and the cops will get you. I am so f'ing glad I got out of there!
    I suppose you're right. A lot of cities and companies are doing anything to get LEEDS credits, and an easy way to get a lot of them is provide bike racks and/or showers at businesses and public facilities. There are pretty substantial tax savings to be had. I haven't been to NYC for a long time, but I sort of pictured them being one of the front runners. D.C. and Chicago have come a long way in the LEEDS movement, and a lot of the West Coast cities are really doing well with it. NYC is geographically screwed, so maybe that's what's holding them back.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    Just a suggestion - I roll my Tikit in two ways:

    1 - handle low and bike out in front. This gives me better control [like when I want to rush to catch a bus], but I have to support more of the bike's weight.

    2 - handle high and bike more directly underneath it. This is fine for moving slowly while browsing in a shop and I don't have to support much of the bike's weight as it is balance on the wheel.
    Thanks, Vik. I'm learning there is a bit of a trick to it and am getting a little better at it. There is no hope for my wife. She loathes rolling hers, which causes her to back out of taking her bike sometimes if a high probability of having to roll it exists. I'm wishing we would have bought her a Strida. I think there's one last 2'x2' area in the garage...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Swift folder, single speed
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    I suppose you're right. A lot of cities and companies are doing anything to get LEEDS credits, and an easy way to get a lot of them is provide bike racks and/or showers at businesses and public facilities. There are pretty substantial tax savings to be had. I haven't been to NYC for a long time, but I sort of pictured them being one of the front runners. D.C. and Chicago have come a long way in the LEEDS movement, and a lot of the West Coast cities are really doing well with it. NYC is geographically screwed, so maybe that's what's holding them back.
    If they have their police confiscating bikes that are attached to parking meters and poles, etc. in NYC, and arresting bicyclists who dare to protest, they are essentially outlawing most bicycle commuting in the city!
    Last edited by werewolf; 03-21-08 at 10:37 AM.

  21. #21
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Thanks, Vik. I'm learning there is a bit of a trick to it and am getting a little better at it. There is no hope for my wife. She loathes rolling hers, which causes her to back out of taking her bike sometimes if a high probability of having to roll it exists. I'm wishing we would have bought her a Strida. I think there's one last 2'x2' area in the garage...
    How tall is your wife? Do you think that her height results in the bike being held at a disadvantageous angle?

  22. #22
    Senior Member Caaah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    2006 Dahon Hon Solo, 2007 Dahon Curve D3, 1979 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's where I keep my Curve at home...hehehe. Yes, that's a windowsill (has bars, and its not facing the street though).


  23. #23
    hubgears BB49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    Dahon Curve SL, 2008 with Nexus Premium 8 hub, and many modifications.
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fold my 20" Dahon, lock it up, and take the seatpost with me. Some people told me it looks like a folded wheelchair. That seems to make it theftproof.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •