Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best looking brompton I've seen so far.

    Actually this brompton is not my mate's. It was built for a bike show by a japanese custom shop.
    Their homepage address is http://bike.gn.to/
    They build lot of interesting products for folders as well (Ti spokes, bladed spokes, anodized rims, 74mm front hubs and so on)

    Anyway..



    Bullhorn bar makes a very racy look. BTW the black seatpost is made of carbon.



    Vision carbon bullhorn bar and STI levers.. Satori stem is used (a la speed pro TT)



    FSA carbon crank and carbon-wrapped TT chainring (55-44T)
    It has a front derailleur too.



    Custom 130mm spacing rear frame with derailleur hanger.
    Wheels are built using american classic hub, Titanium spokes and 18" rims.
    There are 10 cogs... so 2*10 speeds.



    As the rim diameter is bigger, standard ultegra caliper brake can be used.



    This bike does fold. (you will need hex wrench to fold the handlebar though)

  2. #2
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the translated page specific to folding bikes ...

    http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

    Neat hubs. Although I wonder how low those handlebars are ...

  3. #3
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really nice conversion - I love white bikes!
    Funnily enough - I just fitted a Syntace stem extension similar to the Satori you mention this weekend so I can have a more forward riding position. Naturally - it means the bars don't fit into the clip anymore so I have two options I'm considering at the moment. One is adapting some seatpost quick-release bolts to fit instead of the current allen-key bolts so I can rotate the bars when I fold; The other being the fabrication of an extension to the protruding part on the stem that attaches to the clip so the bars can still fasten shut in a fold with the bars still in their forward position (my bars just have bar ends - this wouldn't work with bullhorns or drops).

    The main problem I'm finding with a lightweight Brompton with things on the bars is balance when it's folded - the bar side of the fold is a lot heavier than the other without a rack or mudguards fitted so it isn't exactly happy to sit on it's base without being up against a wall.

    Thanks for the links - I look forward to perusing them in good time.

  4. #4
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh - a query - you mention it has bigger rims - are these the Moulton size or maybe the Birdy?

  5. #5
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,313
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so how many millimeters off the ground is the rear derailleur? 6 or 7?

  6. #6
    Life in Mono
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    5 bikes, all the usual types
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awsome, But I'd ditch those adjustable forward 'bars to save some weight.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Best looking Brommie I’ve seen too.


    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel View Post
    The main problem I'm finding with a lightweight Brompton with things on the bars is balance when it's folded - the bar side of the fold is a lot heavier than the other without a rack or mudguards fitted so it isn't exactly happy to sit on it's base without being up against a wall.
    I converted Merc to a ti-version too, and noticed also that when the bike is folded the front and rear wheels are not on the same level – the folded bike tends to fall on the front wheel side. All I can think of is that the ti-front fork differs from Merc’s fork. The difference is about 5mm.
    I also had the following experiences:
    - Rear triangle wasn’t assembled properly. When I dropped the wheel axle into the slot of the triangle, there was like 15mm distance between the triangle and the rim on the left side, and 25mm on the right side. There wasn’t play enough to turn the wheel so that it would be in the centre. So I filed off some material from the axle slot. The package was intact, no marks of harsh handling. For the price one should get good quality. I didn’t send it back to the British bicycle shop, because it would have meant a month’s waiting. And before that a couple of weeks e-mail correspondence trying to convince them that I’m not a monkey.
    - There is only 1 mm – or even less - distance between the tyre and the triangle’s vertical short tube when the axle is seated against the end of the slots.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Angus, Scotland
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont they get bolts for the stem that can be undone by hand.

    Either quick releases or just L shaped bolts.

  9. #9
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maranen View Post
    The difference is about 5mm
    I've noticed this too.

    Quote Originally Posted by maranen View Post
    Rear triangle wasn’t assembled properly... When I dropped the wheel axle into the slot of the triangle, there was like 15mm distance between the triangle and the rim on the left side, and 25mm on the right side
    I have to say I'd doubt a part so strong and mass produced is 'assembled wrongly' - these things are made on a jig. Perhaps there is a built in offset you weren't expecting compared to the Merc part or maybe the problem is to do with the dish of the wheel? Did you put in the Merc rear hub or something else?

    When I got my track hub for mine I was momentarily dismayed because I thought all track hubs were positioned dead-centre on the axle (mine isn't as it's not a flip-flop) and it seemed like it just wasn't going to fit in the frame; at least - not with a centred rim. But then I took a deep breath built the rear wheel with the correct dish (my first dished wheel) and the rim is dead-centre while the flanges are offset slightly to the left to allow for the sprocket. It's a tight fit but it works.

  10. #10
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alecw35 View Post
    why dont they get bolts for the stem that can be undone by hand.

    Either quick releases or just L shaped bolts.
    I'm hoping to experiment with exactly this idea with a seatpost QR in the next few days if it's the right size.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Auld Blighty
    My Bikes
    Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton
    Posts
    2,177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maranen View Post
    - Rear triangle wasn’t assembled properly. When I dropped the wheel axle into the slot of the triangle, there was like 15mm distance between the triangle and the rim on the left side, and 25mm on the right side. There wasn’t play enough to turn the wheel so that it would be in the centre. So I filed off some material from the axle slot. The package was intact, no marks of harsh handling. For the price one should get good quality.
    The Brompton rear triangle is designed to be like that, mostly for chainline and folded clearance reasons. The rear wheel still sits on the centreline of the frame. You shouldn't have filed the dropouts before asking the question.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel View Post
    ...? Did you put in the Merc rear hub or something else?
    I used the Merc rear wheel.

    Quote Originally Posted by LWaB View Post
    The Brompton rear triangle is designed to be like that, mostly for chainline and folded clearance reasons. The rear wheel still sits on the centreline of the frame. You shouldn't have filed the dropouts before asking the question.
    I can’t explain without a picture (This is not the ti-version). The clearance in A between the wheel and the frame tube on the left side was almost 1 cm greater compared to the clearance on the right side. But in B the clearance differences were vice versa – left side clearance was 1 cm less. This asymmetry is not present with Merc.

    I did ask the question some months ago in this forum – “Are the Merc and Brompton frame parts identical?” The answer was “Yes”.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maranen View Post
    I can’t explain without a picture (This is not the ti-version). The clearance in A between the wheel and the frame tube on the left side was almost 1 cm greater compared to the clearance on the right side. But in B the clearance differences were vice versa – left side clearance was 1 cm less. This asymmetry is not present with Merc.

    I did ask the question some months ago in this forum – “Are the Merc and Brompton frame parts identical?” The answer was “Yes”.
    Hmmm, I never noticed this on the Merc nor the old Brompton. Then again, I never gave it a good look. EvilV? SC? Rafael? Anyone else?

  14. #14
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorted out my quick release this afternoon - works a treat - (I love the smell of dremel in the morning)
    I could fit any bars now - moustache, bullhorn, risers; Drops would be a bit of a push though what with the width.

  15. #15
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel View Post
    Sorted out my quick release this afternoon - works a treat - (I love the smell of dremel in the morning)
    I could fit any bars now - moustache, bullhorn, risers; Drops would be a bit of a push though what with the width.
    Sweet. How did you get it to work?

  16. #16
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut off the 'rocker' half of a spare seat release clamp to use on one side of the stem's clamp, so that the lever still applied tension in the desired incremental manner, and used the same bolt as well, with a little of the head removed so that the bars can actually rotate over this setup when you want to fold. I might put the bolt in a drill chuck and sand off a bit more of the inner shoulder for a more snug fit at some point but it all works for now. Stem 'risers' are Syntace. Pictures below:











  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Angus, Scotland
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could have just got a countersunk bolt from a hardware store.

  18. #18
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LP ... excellent instructions.

  19. #19
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alecw35 View Post
    could have just got a countersunk bolt from a hardware store.
    This is a possibility
    Was just working with the parts I have to hand. If it was totally countersunk it'd be harder to finger-tighten on the knurled end if it gets loose for any reason though so this is pretty good. Just need to 'lathe' off some of the shoulder and I'll be happy...

  20. #20
    eight spokes somnatash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ruhr district, Germany
    My Bikes
    merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet Pics on nice work again Littlepixle!

    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    Hmmm, I never noticed this on the Merc nor the old Brompton. Then again, I never gave it a good look. EvilV? SC? Rafael? Anyone else?
    Jepp, just checked a merc and a new b.: the ti-rear-triangle is asymmetrical with the wheel while the merc steel triangle is not (at least not as far as I can see). The parts of the two bikes are not identical. I believe, it was said here that the merc is an almost one-to-one copy to pre 199x bromptons. The Ti-parts definitely have slightly different measures. But does it matter in terms of fitting the ti-triangle to merc frame? Did others need to file also?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel View Post
    I cut off the 'rocker' half of a spare seat release clamp to use on one side of the stem's clamp, so that the lever still applied tension in the desired incremental manner, and used the same bolt as well, with a little of the head removed so that the bars can actually rotate over this setup when you want to fold. I might put the bolt in a drill chuck and sand off a bit more of the inner shoulder for a more snug fit at some point but it all works for now. Stem 'risers' are Syntace. Pictures below:
    [/IMG]
    Very nice work. Be careful with this – if the quick release gives while riding the consequences can be serious. I have experience with handle-bar vertical adjustment quick-release giving and I was lucky to survive with only some bruises. Now I wouldn’t trust my life on a quick-release in a place like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by somnatash View Post
    Jepp, just checked a merc and a new b.: the ti-rear-triangle is asymmetrical with the wheel while the merc steel triangle is not (at least not as far as I can see). The parts of the two bikes are not identical. I believe, it was said here that the merc is an almost one-to-one copy to pre 199x bromptons. The Ti-parts definitely have slightly different measures. But does it matter in terms of fitting the ti-triangle to merc frame? Did others need to file also?
    Thanks for the information. I guess nobody needs to file anything – obviously I was wrong. I just couldn’t believe that the rear brake & wheel would be on the side of the frame, not in the centre!

  22. #22
    Life in Mono
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    5 bikes, all the usual types
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice White Brommie, definately not one to leave outside, even for a nano second .. what is the overall weight ?

    Very Nice Syntace Mod Little Pixel ... is the adjustment worth the extra weight ? (how many precious grams does it 'cost').

  23. #23
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't weighed them but they're pretty chunky seemingly made from cast aluminium; I dunno - 150g each?
    Is it worth it? It's not much more reach but it does help - especially when out of the saddle. Makes for a more sporty, purposeful side profile too.

    I've actually just ordered some of the Zoom/Satori clamps as they look like they've got a bit more reach, are a bit more elegantly put together and you can take the bars out without having to remove all the levers/grips. I might run drops every now and again so this will be ideal for hot swapping them.
    Last edited by LittlePixel; 04-24-08 at 05:37 PM.

  24. #24
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel View Post
    I've actually just ordered some of the Zoom/Satori clamsp ...
    Where did you order them from? Please let us know how it turns out.

  25. #25
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered from here: http://www.bicyclerepair.co.uk; Branded Zoom not Satori but they're the same. If you search for the product name 'Aberhallo' you should be able to find a US stockist maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •