Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-08, 01:45 PM   #51
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser
 
Sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southampton, UK
Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They can be had relatively cheap over here Sue, if you don't mind watching eBay closely. I've got two Moulton Minis (14" wheels, smaller frame) that I got for a total of 8 from the freeads. Of course, then there's the work to do. You can come over, and we can have a Moulton co-operative. If you put aside 60, you can find yourself a tidy example on eBay.
Sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 01:54 PM   #52
snafu21
Senior Member
 
snafu21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Mangroves, UK
Bikes: None.
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"If you put aside 60, you can find yourself a tidy example on eBay."

I'm already getting death threats from the g.f for having three bikes around the house. :-(

They're sweet looking scoots, though..
snafu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 02:24 PM   #53
what bike?
Senior Member
 
what bike?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
looks like a nice frame, goodluck
what bike? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 02:36 PM   #54
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser
 
Sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southampton, UK
Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu21 View Post

I'm already getting death threats from the g.f for having three bikes around the house. :-(

They're sweet looking scoots, though..
Hey now. One of those bikes is HERS now. That means you need a third one. There are even seperable versions of this (not real folders mind)
Sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 02:55 PM   #55
BruceMetras
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Rafael, California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,910
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch View Post

I had been meaning to upgrade the rear hub to a Sturmey Archer 8 and finally got around to it. It presented a dilemma as I had a 36 hole hub and a 28 hole rim. But, after considerable head-scratching, and trying to remember my high school math classes, I decided to take the easy way out and just lace it radially. I figure with 28 spokes, and mighty short ones at that (123mm), I wouldn't have much of a problem. Besides, the front wheel was already radial, and I actually quite like the looks. So the result is this:


S/C, did you check with any wheel builders on running a radially laced rear wheel? I would think you should have at least the drive side with crosses (ala Dahon's lightweight wheels).. seems like it would be prone to some windup especially when under heavy torque.. but I could be all wet.... will be interested to hear if you encounter any problems with that wheel because it does look nice.
BruceMetras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 03:19 PM   #56
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SC I don't use superlatives for the sake of using them! Quite simply this is the work of a craftsman with taste. You can afford to be as proud as a peacock lol! I'm sure Neokohime would lust after your bike more than my raw lacquer Brompton except mine folds better for commute purposes lol. It is a truly stunning bike and with the SA8 must ride great too. I love where you put the shifter too, very innovative.

I would have to nominate this upgraded Moulton and Littlepixel's lightweight Brompton as 2 of the finest bikes of their types I've ever seen on a personal build! Wow!
mulleady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 05:15 PM   #57
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation
Thread Starter
 
SesameCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
S/C, did you check with any wheel builders on running a radially laced rear wheel? I would think you should have at least the drive side with crosses (ala Dahon's lightweight wheels).. seems like it would be prone to some windup especially when under heavy torque.. but I could be all wet.... will be interested to hear if you encounter any problems with that wheel because it does look nice.
*Gulp* No, I didn't check with any actual professionals on this. Where would the excitement be in riding if everything was up to snuff ?

I'm counting on the super short spoke length and the 28 spokes to keep me out of the hospital. I will frequently check the wheel in the beginning to see if it's OK. But, mostly this is a Pootling bike. And as the Master Pootler, Snafu21, will quickly tell you, there is a maximum speed limit of 12 mph for Pootles.
__________________

Last edited by SesameCrunch; 07-14-08 at 05:21 PM.
SesameCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 05:20 PM   #58
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation
Thread Starter
 
SesameCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
SC I don't use superlatives for the sake of using them! Quite simply this is the work of a craftsman with taste. You can afford to be as proud as a peacock lol! I'm sure Neokohime would lust after your bike more than my raw lacquer Brompton except mine folds better for commute purposes lol. It is a truly stunning bike and with the SA8 must ride great too. I love where you put the shifter too, very innovative.

I would have to nominate this upgraded Moulton and Littlepixel's lightweight Brompton as 2 of the finest bikes of their types I've ever seen on a personal build! Wow!
Aww shucks. It weren't nothin'

Actually, did you know this Moulton is genealogically linked with LittlePixel's Mercton? LP sent me the rims, hubs and brakes from his Merc. Yup, they came across the pond and now lives on in the Moulton. Isn't that fantastic?
__________________
SesameCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 07:40 PM   #59
arctos
40 yrs bike touring
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Santa Barbara,CA.
Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988]
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lovely restoration and upgrade.

A suggestion: The front wheel fender/mudguard on a 349 wheel needs to be longer and have a very wide mudflap as those wheels tend to spray water from the road in a very wide pattern. I learned this on my Stowaway and Mark 3.
arctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 08:01 PM   #60
sahadev
Still moving forward.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: S.F. Peninsula
Bikes: BF NWT
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful SC! Bring it to the next FolderFest and you will be the hit of the party.
sahadev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 11:56 PM   #61
maranen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations for the Ultimate Pootling Bike! This bike is a sight for sore eyes.
maranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 12:36 AM   #62
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch View Post
Aww shucks. It weren't nothin'

Actually, did you know this Moulton is genealogically linked with LittlePixel's Mercton? LP sent me the rims, hubs and brakes from his Merc. Yup, they came across the pond and now lives on in the Moulton. Isn't that fantastic?
No! That's a good story considering I linked you 2 purely on your ability to transform folding bikes into eclectic or futuristic wonders lol!
mulleady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 01:40 AM   #63
Diode100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyboy View Post
They can be had relatively cheap over here Sue, if you don't mind watching eBay closely. I've got two Moulton Minis (14" wheels, smaller frame) that I got for a total of 8 from the freeads. Of course, then there's the work to do. You can come over, and we can have a Moulton co-operative. If you put aside 60, you can find yourself a tidy example on eBay.
Any half way decent series 1 or 2 16'' wheeled Moulton is going to cost you at least 80-100 quid these days, and you wont find a Mk III for less than 150 +++. they are the most sort after cooking Moulton. 14'' Moulton's are a different story, note that they are framed for ''ladies, little blokes & big kids'' so if that's you, now would be a good time to buy and put away one or two nice ones, say a 4 speed and a Mini Automatic.
Diode100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 04:41 AM   #64
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc
 
LittlePixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London UK
Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch View Post
Of course, the first order of business was to transform our family room into a bicycle workshop
This is so so true - I'm sure you aren't alone. Loving the conversion with the period drops - looks like the perfect bike for going out and getting ice-cream on - Sweet!
LittlePixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 07:46 AM   #65
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser
 
Sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southampton, UK
Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode100 View Post
Any half way decent series 1 or 2 16'' wheeled Moulton is going to cost you at least 80-100 quid these days, and you wont find a Mk III for less than 150 +++. they are the most sort after cooking Moulton. 14'' Moulton's are a different story, note that they are framed for ''ladies, little blokes & big kids'' so if that's you, now would be a good time to buy and put away one or two nice ones, say a 4 speed and a Mini Automatic.
In the style of BikesnobNYC, I've compiled a "Moultodex" from my recent watch list.

73
46
62
82
41

Which means the Moultodex is right on the money at 60.80. I'm not saying those are cooking ones, but they're not Minis or Midis. Some want more work than others, but on the SesameCrunch model, you'll be refurbing anyway. I consider my point defended!

As far as Minis, I'm encouraged by the fact that the top of the seat tube is a trifle higher than that on my Downtube Mini, making me think that I can accommodate myself with the aid of modern seatposts. The fact that it's smaller makes the challenge of building a roadie killer all the greater!
Sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 08:48 AM   #66
Diode100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyboy View Post
Which means the Moultodex is right on the money at 60.80. I'm not saying those are cooking ones, but they're not Minis or Midis. Some want more work than others, but on the SesameCrunch model, you'll be refurbing anyway. I consider my point defended!
Ok, as you will, but dont fall into the trap I did, if it doesn't say the wheel size, dont assume its a 16'' model- best to always ask. Also when it comes to assessing refurbishing costs, most of these bikes were built by British Leyland, and for a very good reason, you don't see many Austin 1100's running around these days. The two most exasperating, mind numbing, vehicle maintenance tasks I've encountered, changing the brake master cyclinder on a Morris Minor, and removing a rusted in bolt on a moulton rear suspension.
Diode100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 08:53 AM   #67
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser
 
Sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southampton, UK
Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, they were all 16" models, for definite. I agree that rusted items can be a problem, but hey, I have a hand built EG Bates track bike where the seatpost is locked solid, and I've give up trying to move it, afraid that I'll damage the frame. Old bikes often involve stuck things, it's just part of the fun. I am deadly serious, however, that you can find a rideable Moulton for 60 or less, provided you're willing to be patient. It might take a month of watching eBay before you find one that's what you want, and isn't too far away, but it's eminently doable. I've bought a LOT of old bikes at bargain prices (in the region of 60 of 'em) on eBay, and patience and a willingness to drive somewhere a bit odd are your friends.
Sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 09:36 AM   #68
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation
Thread Starter
 
SesameCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePixel View Post
This is so so true - I'm sure you aren't alone. Loving the conversion with the period drops - looks like the perfect bike for going out and getting ice-cream on - Sweet!
Thanks for the idea! I think that'll be my Moulton Pootle this afternoon!
__________________
SesameCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 01:42 PM   #69
what bike?
Senior Member
 
what bike?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone think i should take on this project, without buying a new dahon?

1990s moulton ABP frame:







if i take on this project i could also make quite alot of cash from it and would be able to afford a even better bike but i would be risky :s
what bike? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 01:56 PM   #70
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation
Thread Starter
 
SesameCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by what bike? View Post
anyone think i should take on this project, without buying a new dahon?

1990s moulton ABP frame:

if i take on this project i could also make quite alot of cash from it and would be able to afford a even better bike but i would be risky :s
Sweeeeet!

If you don't take the project on, sell me the frame!!!! I'd love to work on it!
__________________
SesameCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 02:10 PM   #71
what bike?
Senior Member
 
what bike?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i might take it on but ive seen some newer bikes that i like but this would be fun , i like yours it looks alot less costly , i havent bought the frame yet i might not even buy it, its just another project im thinking about
what bike? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 02:22 PM   #72
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser
 
Sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southampton, UK
Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take it on! Forget the Dahon! I see it on the Bay - I guess it depends what it goes for. If you could get it for the starting price....
Sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 02:30 PM   #73
what bike?
Senior Member
 
what bike?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i might im not sure ive still got a couple of days to make up my mind yet
what bike? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 01:23 AM   #74
Diode100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyboy View Post
.......... patience and a willingness to drive somewhere a bit odd are your friends.
Very true, anythink with a remote location that says ''Pickup only'' is ripe to be had at a bargain price.

Last edited by Diode100; 07-16-08 at 01:38 AM.
Diode100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 01:41 AM   #75
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser
 
Sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southampton, UK
Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, my 20 Gazelle roadie was pickup only in Essex, my 18 Raleigh Royal tourer from a village near Bedford, my 25 R20's came one from the wilds of Staffs, and the other from London, but again, pickup only. I even won a 20 for 5, but just couldn't manage to make picking it up work.
Sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.