So far, I've test-ridden:
- Brompton M series -- Good, but I don't like the fact that the bike doesn't hold together well when folded, and the rubber suspension thingy doesn't work for me (I hate suspension bikes with a passion). I'm not trying any more Bromptons, since I didn;t like this one at all.
- Dahon Curve D3 - awesone ride, handles well, very stable. The internal hub shifts very well, but 3 speeds won't cut it for me. The 13" tires are awesome.
- Dahon Vitesse - hard to say, since the store wouldn't let me ride it outside.
- Dahon MU P8 - good bike, but it feels wobbly, even for a folder.
- Dahon MU P24 - feels like the P8, but with 24 speeds. The shifting is awesome, and if I had never tried the Curve, I would have gotten this one.
I decided on a Dahon Curve SL. It's basically the Curve D3 with more speeds, 3 pounds lighter and a shimano hub. The problem is that the 2008 models won't be around until late July at the earliest. (This information is straight from Dahon.)
At the moment, I'm leaning towards waiting on the Curve. I'll probably be happy with any Dahon, but I'll kick myself later if I don't wait for the bike I really want.
The problem here is that we really don't have any guarantee the bikes will be available even in July...