Bike Friday was kind enough to entertain my repeated requests and build me a custom 2 pannier front rack for my Tikit. If you want to see lots of photos and my full comments jump to my Tikit Blog.
The Coles Notes version is:
- rack is light and looks well made
- mounts easily
- accepts my Ortlieb front panniers
- bike folds with rack mounted - left pannier must be removed [large frame]
- bike rolls with rack mounted [large frame]
- bike can be covered with shower cap with rack mounted, but not rolled [easily fixed I will advise BF]
- handling is slower and quite stable with loaded panniers
- rack is quite stiff and panniers do not sway with steering input
- rack is not a production item at this point, but if it continues to work well I'd be suprised if BF didn't add it to their line up of Tikit accessories
- Small & Medium frames have less clearance between the front and rear wheels when folded so there may be issues folding those bikes with this rack that I am unaware of
Looking down on my ortliebs as I rode home from the grocery store yesterday I started to get excited for some warm weather touring on the Tikit. I'll be interested to see how the touring rear rack BF is working on performs with the Tikit.