Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dahon MU SL Wheel Strength?

    I am interested in the MU SL for the weight, but by conventional wisdom the very airy wheels, and especially the rear with lack of crossed spokes, tend to scare me.

    Does anyone have experience with them?
    Long term?
    Do they get out of whack and damage easily?
    I'd welcome all opinions and experiences.

  2. #2
    PDR
    PDR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, North West England, UK
    My Bikes
    Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only had mine for 3 weeks but I have been using it everyday. I did 40 miles on it the first weekend. Last Saturday I did 25 miles in one trip.
    I am 12st. (168lbs)and have not had any problems at all. I have mainly been riding on surfaced roads and have been able to avoid any pot holes. The wheels run perfectly true and I think they are a really beautiful design. I wouldn’t worry, they are going to be fine.... oh and the bike is really great!!!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Jetstream XP '04, a Dahon Cadenza '07
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Jetstream XP- with paired spoke wheels made by Rolf Prima themselves rather than Dahon's licenced version- second-hand in November. It's three years old or so, rear's been replaced as I had DualDrive fitted (it was, however, immaculate running condition) and the front's been absolutely no bother whatsoever.
    They may look fragile, but they're not. Rolf's technology is well-proven and highly regarded.
    Dahon Jetstream XP '04 with DualDrive- folding not boring. And an '07 Dahon Cadenza- rather splendid too.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Bikes
    Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic
    Posts
    789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jetstream is absolutely one of my favorite bikes!

  5. #5
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wheels are strong, but if you kick up a branch into the spokes, they are more likely to bite dust. That's one reason why folks with strong hand built wheels carry more spokes. I only put 500 miles on them, but they held up fine. I think that the AC hubs are more of a problem on the unsuspended bike.

    It's the rest of the bike I would worry about. They have made significant improvements in the bike, but it probably still won't hold up like a more expensive Bike Friday or Birdy would.

    IMHO, the bike is fast, but only on perfectly smooth surfaces. My Birdy is much faster in general (or I'm in better shape). The new Kojack tires might have taken care of that problem as well. The upside is that it was a pleasure to fold and carry, and is very inexpensive for what it is. If you ride the bike infrequently, it's a good deal. If you plan on putting 15,000 miles on it, you might not get that far with your teeth all in one place.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

    With 4 other bikes in the barn, my intention is for a part time ride. I love my Ellsworth, Fat Chance and Klein mountainbikes, but they just can't make it to vacation or in the trunk to car service trips and the likes.

    But then again, who knows if a new folder might get more interest once it's tried.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StuAff View Post
    I bought my Jetstream XP- with paired spoke wheels made by Rolf Prima themselves rather than Dahon's licenced version- second-hand in November. It's three years old or so, rear's been replaced as I had DualDrive fitted (it was, however, immaculate running condition) and the front's been absolutely no bother whatsoever.
    They may look fragile, but they're not. Rolf's technology is well-proven and highly regarded.
    Where did you get the unlicensed 20" RPs?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Jetstream XP '04, a Dahon Cadenza '07
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makeinu View Post
    Where did you get the unlicensed 20" RPs?
    Fitted to the bike- '04 XPs (plus Helios XXs) had Rolf Prima Accel wheels as standard, also available as accessories. As of '05 model year, Dahon switched to their own Kinetix Pro wheels, using the paired spoke technology under licence. I've seen the Rolf originals on eBay from time to time.
    Dahon Jetstream XP '04 with DualDrive- folding not boring. And an '07 Dahon Cadenza- rather splendid too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pm124 View Post
    The wheels are strong, but if you kick up a branch into the spokes, they are more likely to bite dust. That's one reason why folks with strong hand built wheels carry more spokes. I only put 500 miles on them, but they held up fine. I think that the AC hubs are more of a problem on the unsuspended bike.

    It's the rest of the bike I would worry about. They have made significant improvements in the bike, but it probably still won't hold up like a more expensive Bike Friday or Birdy would.

    IMHO, the bike is fast, but only on perfectly smooth surfaces. My Birdy is much faster in general (or I'm in better shape). The new Kojack tires might have taken care of that problem as well. The upside is that it was a pleasure to fold and carry, and is very inexpensive for what it is. If you ride the bike infrequently, it's a good deal. If you plan on putting 15,000 miles on it, you might not get that far with your teeth all in one place.
    I reckon if you chuck a branch into the spokes of most wheels you are going to face problems. I've got a MUSL 2007 version and can only cover it with glory - it is fast on the stock version - quickest bike in the Smithfield Nocturne (well with the quickest rider too) and was pretty quick even with me on it! I've not had any problem with it on any London roads. Stelvios are fine, ride can be a bit hard. I ride the bike every day, doing about 20 miles a day with an unfold, a fold, an unfold and another fold, have put well over 1,000 miles on it and have only had a problem with the bearings going in the headset (oh and one puncture once I swapped out the SV6As). It has been as reliable as any non-folder I have had and more fun. I can't comment on the Birdy/Bike Friday, but to me, this bike has done everything I have asked of it and more.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mroli View Post
    I reckon if you chuck a branch into the spokes of most wheels you are going to face problems.
    Another advantage of small wheels. I ride through some neighborhoods where I've had to fist fight over my bike before, but I fear there's almost nothing I can do about branches in the spokes.

    The smaller the wheel diameter the smaller the target.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •