Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    birdy in uk ? need to replace stolen brompton

    Dear People,

    My much loved brompton was stolen in feb from the courtyard of the RA.

    I have now come to terms with the loss and need to replace it.

    Have been looking at birdy (s) and wondered where I could test ride - or get the cheapest.

    I also have a raleigh twenty stowaway pub bike, a Dahon HH 7.0, a couple of old racers etc.

    Yours collective wisdom on birdy much appreciated

    Tom

  2. #2
    The Legitimiser Sammyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    My Bikes
    Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This place does them, but they're in Bath

    http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/

    I can't find anywhere in London. There's always a LOT of people milling around the Academy - you'd hope it would've been safe there.

  3. #3
    Lonesome No More nigelme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    Downtube IX FS, Brompton M6 LX, Moulton, Dahon HG7
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a Grey Rohloff Birdy on Gumtree at the moment, in London.

    http://www.gumtree.com/london/89/26294689.html

  4. #4
    The Legitimiser Sammyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    My Bikes
    Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, at 900, that's actually a bargain....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velorution in Gt Tichfield St have Birdy, in london, as do Condor in Grays Inn Rd

  6. #6
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
    Dear People,

    My much loved brompton was stolen in feb from the courtyard of the RA.

    I have now come to terms with the loss and need to replace it.

    Have been looking at birdy (s) and wondered where I could test ride - or get the cheapest.

    I also have a raleigh twenty stowaway pub bike, a Dahon HH 7.0, a couple of old racers etc.

    Yours collective wisdom on birdy much appreciated

    Tom
    AFAIK Condor cycles had/has some in stock. Phone to check though.

    http://www.condorcycles.com/store.html
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried out the Birdy a couple of years ago -- and didn't like it.

    I wanted to like it. I really, really did. I went there thinking I'd buy it. But the front end was just kind of skittery in an uncomfortable way and it didn't get better after riding it for a while. And folding it? Not too bad, just takes practice but it's ultimately a PITA compared to the Brompton.

    So my Brompton is still the only folder in the house.

  8. #8
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom.
    Have you considered the Dahon range? i am very impressed with the Dahon Mu SL 2008. it is only 8.7kg, folds nice enough but would make an excellent road bike. It really flies too. Fudges Cycles on the Harrow Road just up from Marylebone Rd. and Paddington do a great range of Dahons and are very obliging on test rides. Just worth looking at a serious alternative to the Birdy. i alos think the Dahon Jestream is a wonderful all-rounder. See:
    http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1284/2870.php

  9. #9
    Car free since 1995 pm124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Birdy Yellow, Birdy Monocoque
    Posts
    1,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by origami cyclist View Post
    I tried out the Birdy a couple of years ago -- and didn't like it.

    I wanted to like it. I really, really did. I went there thinking I'd buy it. But the front end was just kind of skittery in an uncomfortable way and it didn't get better after riding it for a while. And folding it? Not too bad, just takes practice but it's ultimately a PITA compared to the Brompton.

    So my Brompton is still the only folder in the house.
    There is a huge amount of subjectivity to this. But a Brompton trumping a Birdy on ride?

    That's like saying a Birdy trumps a Brompton on folded size.

  10. #10
    Senior Member what bike?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its the way you ride, what you like when you ride a bike, some people prefere bromptons for riding than birdy's it depends on what YOUR like.

  11. #11
    Senior Member snafu21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Mangroves, UK
    My Bikes
    None.
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty-odd percent off last year's Mu's here at Winstanleys bikes.

    Get thee behind me, Satan...
    - every mile of road has two miles of ditch -

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    My Bikes
    Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, ICE B1. Used to own: 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 2000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bikefix.co.uk have Birdy's - they are near King's Cross. It seems to be a requirement to be grumpy on the outside, soft on the inside to work there After I got to know them I realized they are nice guys.

    Otherwise, there's kinetics.org.uk - they are up in Scotland somewhere.
    ICE B1, Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada drop-bar vintage mtb

  13. #13
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pm124 View Post
    There is a huge amount of subjectivity to this. But a Brompton trumping a Birdy on ride?

    That's like saying a Birdy trumps a Brompton on folded size.
    Depends what you mean by ride. You can laugh away with your smug icon lol. I believe the Brompton is a more agile ride in urban traffic than the Birdy for sure and very capable in its 6 speed form wit well spaced and efficient gears.

    On longer touring and off-road trails the Birdy would prevail as a better ride. 'Horses for courses'

    I believe a Dahon Speed Pro 2008 or Mu SL would trump a Birdy on the road actually. The Dahon Jetstream is also cheaper and just as good as the Birdy. I'm not saying the Birdy isn't a lovely high quality bike it's just overpriced, but so are Bromptons.
    Last edited by mulleady; 07-19-08 at 03:55 AM.

  14. #14
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yangmusa View Post
    bikefix.co.uk have Birdy's - they are near King's Cross. It seems to be a requirement to be grumpy on the outside, soft on the inside to work there After I got to know them I realized they are nice guys.

    Otherwise, there's kinetics.org.uk - they are up in Scotland somewhere.
    I cancelled my order from Bikefix for a Brompton because they did not follow up on things and were rude a few times. Not being vindictive just giving my view. They are obliging with test rides though. IMHO it is worth a trip to Bath to test out the huge variety of bikes at Avon Valley Cycles (www.foldingbikes.co.uk) and to cross-compare the Birdy to say the Xootr Swift & some Dahons etc.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John at Walton Street did his best to get a set of Birdy fenders to me. Seems like a nice guy and they have an assortment of folders. http://www.spoke.co.uk/shop.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •