Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-08, 05:15 PM   #1
old_school_dave
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
old_school_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The foothills of California
Bikes: 2008 Vitesse D7HG, 2007 Curve D3
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Folder for Airline Travel

Hey everybody,

In September I'll be flying back east for a week from California, and I'd really like to take a folder with me. I've read over the threads about packing in suitcases, but I have a couple of questions still.

First up is the suitcase. It seems the two cases of choice are the 29" Oyster and the 31" F'Lite. It seems the F'Lite is much easier to pack in, but I'm wondering about the possibility of getting nailed by the airline for exceeding 62 linear inches. I notice many of the threads on airlines and folders are like from 2005, and wondering what people's more recent experience is. My thought is with the high cost of fuel and such, the airlines might be more stringent these days. (I'll be flying United).

Now to the fun question--which bike would you recommend for airline travel. I have the Vitesse D7HG, but I'd die if it was lost on the airline, so I'm thinking of a second folder just to travel (I'm back east 3-4 wks a year). Yes, I've got the folder bug, and work has been obliging with lots of overtime, but I'd still like to keep the bike purchase <= $500. I like Dahons, but am open to Dowtube, etc. Offhand I was thinking either single gear or internal hub just to maximize chance that the luggage handlers won't be bending derailers by throwing the luggage around.

Would a Boardwalk S1 work for this, or is the non-adjustable handlebar an issue for packing? Is there a preference for the D or P series on the Dahon Speed models in terms of packability/ability to survive air travel?

Any thoughts appreciated, and thanks for your patience on a subject I know has been covered before.
old_school_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 05:31 PM   #2
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_school_dave View Post
First up is the suitcase. It seems the two cases of choice are the 29" Oyster and the 31" F'Lite. It seems the F'Lite is much easier to pack in, but I'm wondering about the possibility of getting nailed by the airline for exceeding 62 linear inches. I notice many of the threads on airlines and folders are like from 2005, and wondering what people's more recent experience is. My thought is with the high cost of fuel and such, the airlines might be more stringent these days. (I'll be flying United).
I've flown United many times with my F'Lite, the last time was a couple months ago. They never look twice at it. I've also seen many other people with the same suitcase. This is definitely the way to go.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 10:47 PM   #3
old_school_dave
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
old_school_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The foothills of California
Bikes: 2008 Vitesse D7HG, 2007 Curve D3
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
I've flown United many times with my F'Lite, the last time was a couple months ago. They never look twice at it. I've also seen many other people with the same suitcase. This is definitely the way to go.
Thanks for the info. I ended up going with the Curve D3, and I'll probably go with the F'lite since consensus seems to be if within weight restrictions, size isn't an issue. It seems like the F'lite will allow less disassembly of the bike and more room for extras like helmet, bottle, lights, etc.

If I end up getting tagged for the oversize, I'll be sure to let everyone know.
old_school_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:22 AM   #4
CaptainSpalding
Explorer
 
CaptainSpalding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I brought my Jetstream XP to Belgium in an F'lite. It doesn't have the narrowest fold, and I spent some time playing with the best way to pack it. I could have fit the whole bike in the F'lite, but I couldn't be certain it would make the trip without a scratch. Ultimately I removed the wheels, put them in plastic, and packed them in a different suitcase with my clothes. Some clothes in the F'lite, some in the other case with the wheels.

FWIW, the counterperson didn't give the F'lite a second glance re: its size, and when my bags went through x-ray TSA didn't even raise an eyebrow.
__________________
I came to say I must be folding . . .
Dahon Jetstream XP
Dahon Helios SL
Strida 5.0
Twenty project


or not . . .
Fisher Mt. Tam (c.1988)
Merlin Road flat bar project
Schwinn Twinn Deluxe
CaptainSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 09:22 AM   #5
old_school_dave
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
old_school_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The foothills of California
Bikes: 2008 Vitesse D7HG, 2007 Curve D3
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSpalding View Post
I brought my Jetstream XP to Belgium in an F'lite. It doesn't have the narrowest fold, and I spent some time playing with the best way to pack it. I could have fit the whole bike in the F'lite, but I couldn't be certain it would make the trip without a scratch. Ultimately I removed the wheels, put them in plastic, and packed them in a different suitcase with my clothes. Some clothes in the F'lite, some in the other case with the wheels.

FWIW, the counterperson didn't give the F'lite a second glance re: its size, and when my bags went through x-ray TSA didn't even raise an eyebrow.
I thought about that--splitting the bike into two pieces of luggage, but United Air just started charging for a second checked bag, plus with my luck ONE of them would get lost, and I'd end up with just the frame or just the wheels.

I'm glad to hear that the F'lite seems to be unworthy for the airline personnel to break out the measuring tape.

Oh, and when you say you "wrapped in plastic", is that bubble wrap you're referring to?
old_school_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 09:46 AM   #6
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bromptons are great but expensive. The alternative is the well regarded Downtube Mini.
mulleady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 AM.