Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sonoma County, CA
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The A-Bike Plus is here!

    I've been waiting for the release of the A-Bike Take Two all summer and it looks like the first shipments are trickling in. If you are into folders, then check out the lightest/smallest one of them all!

    http://abikecentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1308

  2. #2
    Small wheels ARE better! OldiesONfoldies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested to find out what the PLUS is all about? I rode the A-Bike before and came away unimpressed with the ride. Those wheels just can't roll. I lend my brother, owner of an A-Bike, a Carry Me and he was surprised at the vast difference between those 2 bikes. Has the A-Plus closed the gap a little?

    Its compact size still amazes though!
    Last edited by OldiesONfoldies; 08-08-08 at 07:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the comment it does not roll well. You really have to work to get the bike up to speed. The plus should have been larger wheels, the size of the Carry me. They have the fold correct but the wheels make the bike unusable.
    Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 08-09-08 at 07:24 PM.

  4. #4
    mjw
    mjw is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a video somewhere where there's a race between a Strida and A-bike and the one who rides the A-bike can barely roll.

  5. #5
    Small wheels ARE better! OldiesONfoldies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what are the improvements on the A+? Curious...

  6. #6
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,593
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    There's a video somewhere where there's a race between a Strida and A-bike and the one who rides the A-bike can barely roll.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVVgsQt1DK4
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lalato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bay Area and Sacramento
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Tikit
    Posts
    1,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In watching that video, I think they were being really generous to the A-Bike. It's obvious that the guy is pedaling his ass off... while the woman is going at a pretty leisurely pace.

    --sam

  8. #8
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalato View Post
    In watching that video, I think they were being really generous to the A-Bike. It's obvious that the guy is pedaling his ass off... while the woman is going at a pretty leisurely pace.

    --sam
    Exactly!

    The Strida or Carryme well exceed the A-bike for riding a few miles or engaging in multi-mode computing.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Amuro Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    A-bike, Strida & ,etc.
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldiesONfoldies View Post
    Those wheels just can't roll.
    Are you sure that both tyres of the A-bike had been inflated up to 90psi when you were riding it? Tyre pressure does affect the rolling performance of an A-bike very much.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

    Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
    http://www.foldingforum.com/forum

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5'7 and had to extend the seat post BEYOND the limit! If you look at the video, the rider does not have full leg extention which is why the A-Bike is uncomfortable to ride. On top that, the wheels do not roll well even IF the tires are up to max pressure. If the tires are below pressure, it rolls even worse!

    They need to make the A-Bike larger and the wheels bigger.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sonoma County, CA
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all these criticisms of the A-Bike misses the point. The A-Bike was designed for short rides in urban areas. For instance, from the bus station to the office and back. It incorporates well into an intermodal scheme.

    The A-Bike was not designed for speed/distance.

    As with any design, compromises need to be made. In this instance, the designers wanted a very small, folded package. If you want more leg extension, bigger wheels, more gears, etc., then by all means look around. There are other folders that fit your needs nicely.

    The A-Bike, being what it is, is very much an extraordinary design, imho. Sure, it does have a novelty factor to it, but that's one of it's draws. I want one.

  12. #12
    Small wheels ARE better! OldiesONfoldies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovebicycling View Post
    I think all these criticisms of the A-Bike misses the point. The A-Bike was designed for short rides in urban areas. For instance, from the bus station to the office and back. It incorporates well into an intermodal scheme.

    The A-Bike was not designed for speed/distance.

    As with any design, compromises need to be made. In this instance, the designers wanted a very small, folded package. If you want more leg extension, bigger wheels, more gears, etc., then by all means look around. There are other folders that fit your needs nicely.

    The A-Bike, being what it is, is very much an extraordinary design, imho. Sure, it does have a novelty factor to it, but that's one of it's draws. I want one.
    Many of us have tested the A-Bike and offer our comments and experience sincerely. Yes, the A-Bike is meant as a short commute bike but even then, it fails the minimum standard of being "rideable". Compare with a Carry Me or Strida and its deficiencies are stunningly glaring. No intention to tear down the A-Bike but thats the truth. So yes, please buy one by all means if you want one but prudence dictates that you at least try it vs the CM/Strida.

    And if you don't agree with me, that's ok.

    ps: So what are the improvements with the APlus? Doesn't anyone know? Better wheels will certainly be needed.

  13. #13
    Small wheels ARE better! OldiesONfoldies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here's what I found out abt the A-Bike PLUS. Wheels still the same. Bummer...

    http://abikecentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=987

    The new version has…
    1. A newly strengthen leyshaft.

    2. An improved freewheel assembly.

    3. Strengthen alminium tubing.

    4. A new air-sprung cushioned saddle.

    5. A smoother drive mechanism.

    6. An improved sports carry bag.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheels still the same. Bummer...

    switching to 8" wheels would require a redesign of the frame for it to fold correctly. This is also why Strida cannot produce a 20" version.
    2000 Montague CX, I do not recommend it, but still ride it.
    Strida 3, I recommend it for rides < 10mi wo steep hills.
    2006 Rowbike 720 Sport, I recommend it as an exercise bike.
    1996 Birdy, Recommend.
    Wieleder CARiBIKE (folding), decent frame.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the original A-bike about 50 yards. That was enough for me. I was underwhelmed, it is only fit for very short distances at low speed and it is less hassle to walk short distances briskly rather than have to carry and unfold the A-bike.

    It's the sort of thing that seems like a good idea until you unfold it and ride it.

  16. #16
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whereas the Strida is a totally different proposition.

    What are peoples views on the Pacific Carryme? I know makeinu is a keen supporter and Somnatash desires one

  17. #17
    Small wheels ARE better! OldiesONfoldies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a nutshell, the CM rides as well as the Strida. Similiar one speed gearing - abt 50" though the Strida seems to glide better, maybe a tad faster. CM less stylish too. But the CM "transfers" power more effectively due to a chain drive. It folds smaller and able to carry loads via a rear rack. I think for multi-modal commuting, the CM pips the Strida and the A-Bike of course. But the Strida is one stylish bird!



  18. #18
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,225
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the CM has a very low BB, way too low for my liking...?
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  19. #19
    Small wheels ARE better! OldiesONfoldies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BB works fine for me but I guess if you're above 5'10", the CM wont suit you unfortunately.... think its target market is primarily Taiwan & Asia. But George Lin, ever the inventor/entreprenuer, may consider a CM for taller guys.

    Bear in mind that the CM is designed for brief commutes. But I have done a 40km ride on it... and live to tell the tale
    Last edited by OldiesONfoldies; 08-10-08 at 08:43 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Amuro Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    A-bike, Strida & ,etc.
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me compare the CarryMe with the A-bike briefly.
    Carryme minifolding bike

    Performance:
    The running speed, stability, rideability and sturdiness of CarryMe are much better than the A-bike.

    Foldability:
    The speed and convenience of folding of A-bike are much better than the CarryMe. The A-bike takes less than 10 seconds in folding or unfolding. My neighbor takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to unfold and secure all the locks of his CarryMe DS each time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd0gzgdw1nY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PxP8tMqUW4

    Weight:
    A-bike weights about 5.5kg and CarryMe DS weights 8.8kg including the speed-drive.

    Portability:
    You can carry the folded A-bike by grasping the stem and take it everywhere or put it into the backpack;
    The folded CarryMe have small wheels at the bottom and you can tow it on smooth grounds.

    Folded Size:
    The folded size of A-bike is 67cm x 30cm x 16cm;
    The folded size of CarryMe is 89cm x 30cm x 27cm.

    Side by side comparison:



    Storage:
    CarryMe


    A-bike


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

    Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
    http://www.foldingforum.com/forum

  21. #21
    Small wheels ARE better! OldiesONfoldies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thks for the comparision Amuro! Yr info is pretty spot on.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    My Bikes
    Several bicycles
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    VERY Beautiful posting!

    VERY Beautiful posting!
    Pics of portable bikes at work..
    Is anybody interested in contibuting to a Wikipedia Article that I started some time ago about portable bicyles:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_bicycle

    More authors is way better that only one author.



    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Lee View Post
    Let me compare the CarryMe with the A-bike briefly.
    Carryme minifolding bike

    Performance:
    The running speed, stability, rideability and sturdiness of CarryMe are much better than the A-bike.

    Foldability:
    The speed and convenience of folding of A-bike are much better than the CarryMe. The A-bike takes less than 10 seconds in folding or unfolding. My neighbor takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to unfold and secure all the locks of his CarryMe DS each time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd0gzgdw1nY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PxP8tMqUW4

    Weight:
    A-bike weights about 5.5kg and CarryMe DS weights 8.8kg including the speed-drive.

    Portability:
    You can carry the folded A-bike by grasping the stem and take it everywhere or put it into the backpack;
    The folded CarryMe have small wheels at the bottom and you can tow it on smooth grounds.

    Folded Size:
    The folded size of A-bike is 67cm x 30cm x 16cm;
    The folded size of CarryMe is 89cm x 30cm x 27cm.

    Side by side comparison:



    Storage:
    CarryMe


    A-bike



  23. #23
    Senior Member Amuro Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    A-bike, Strida & ,etc.
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gganio View Post
    VERY Beautiful posting!
    Pics of portable bikes at work..
    Is anybody interested in contibuting to a Wikipedia Article that I started some time ago about portable bicyles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_bicycle
    More authors is way better that only one author.
    I think one author can maintain the style of the article in same tune. (The truth is, I'm a lazy guy. )
    However, you can use my information and photos which I posted here and on abikecentral.com.
    Thanks for your effort on writing articles about bikes on the Wikipedia!
    Last edited by Amuro Lee; 08-11-08 at 01:31 PM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

    Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
    http://www.foldingforum.com/forum

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    What are peoples views on the Pacific Carryme? I know makeinu is a keen supporter and Somnatash desires one
    I just found this new Carryme blog:
    http://carrymeadventures.wordpress.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by datako View Post
    I was underwhelmed, it is only fit for very short distances at low speed and it is less hassle to walk short distances briskly rather than have to carry and unfold the A-bike.
    Yeah, there comes a point of compromise where you can't beat a good pair of running/walking shoes. I haven't tried the A-bike, but I'm currently not interested because I have no need for a smaller fold than the CM and since the CM rides and fits me so well I don't mind throwing money at it to make it lighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Looks like the CM has a very low BB, way too low for my liking...?
    It is very low. I would like to fit shorter cranks on mine to reduce pedal strikes (in addition to saving weight and improving spinning).

    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Lee View Post
    The speed and convenience of folding of A-bike are much better than the CarryMe. The A-bike takes less than 10 seconds in folding or unfolding. My neighbor takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to unfold and secure all the locks of his CarryMe DS each time.
    Last time you posted this I didn't know, but I just found out that the 08 Carrymes have a fiddly Brompton-like latch in the front as opposed to a quick "quick release" lever. So now I understand why it takes your neighbor so long.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Lee View Post
    A-bike weights about 5.5kg and CarryMe DS weights 8.8kg including the speed-drive.
    ...also including front/rear rack, mudguards, average "stock" seat (ie heavy), kickstand, etc. Easy to lose a kilogram just tossing extras and another kilogram with simple upgrades (carbon seatpost, carbon stem, ultegra brakes, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Lee View Post
    Folded Size:
    The folded size of A-bike is 67cm x 30cm x 16cm;
    The folded size of CarryMe is 89cm x 30cm x 27cm.

    Side by side comparison:

    Just a note: the Carryme is not completely folded in the picture and it looks like it's about 30cm taller than it would be if completely folded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •