Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-17, 10:11 PM   #851
ehasbrouck
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Bikes: 1982 Infinity (aluminium LWB/USS recumbent), c. 1984 Maruishi Tour Ace TA18, 1986 Miyata 912, 1989 Miyata 312, 1982 Bridgestone Regulus, 2015 Rodriguez UTB, c. 2002 Birdy folding (Sach 3x7)
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've posted some notes on my recent plane and train (and city riding) travels with my Birdy in my blog:

https://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002276.html

Turkish Airlines is still offering the trans-Atlantic sale fares that allow two pieces of checked baggage at no extra charge that I mention in that post. This means you can check both a folding bike and a large backpack (or set of panniers) without any checked baggage fee.
ehasbrouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 08:35 PM   #852
downtube
Senior Member
 
downtube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)
Posts: 1,276
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode100 View Post
About 10 years ago the was a Birdy Green available in Europe that had belt drive but it was discontinued fairly quickly- might be worth investigating why before you commit to any expenditures.
Belt drives require fixed chainstays. The rear suspension on a Birdy implies that the chainstay length varies, hence the problem.

Thanks,
Yan
__________________
Designer of Downtube Folding Bike
Ph.D. Temple University ( Math )
Biked across the USA twice
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
downtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 10:01 PM   #853
Sangetsu
Senior Member
 
Sangetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 東京都
Bikes:
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
I rather wonder why people are enamored of belt drives. Belt drives have been available here in Japan on various types of bikes for decades, and even though they are not particularly expensive, they still have not managed to catch on.

One of the things I most like about the Birdy is it's ability to use standard components. I have an XTR 11 speed driveline on mine, with a Dura Ace crankset and front derailleur, for a total of 22 speeds. And it is all bolt-on, no fabrication or modification. And if and when Shimano comes up with a 12 speed system, it will likely bolt onto the Birdy as easy as the 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed parts do.

I also like that converting to 20" wheels involves nothing more than attaching the wheels, and either extending the brake posts with adapters, or getting brakes with longer arms.

As for the suspension, here in Japan there are various types available, but pneumatic and hydraulic. These are a bit expensive, about $200 each for the front and back. For myself, the stock springs and elastomers are completely adequate. They aren't high on the cool factor, but they are perfect for the job.

The only advantage to the belt drive would be to keep your hands and bike bag clean when folding and unfolding your bike.
Sangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 10:35 PM   #854
mkatz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
One of the things I most like about the Birdy is it's ability to use standard components. I have an XTR 11 speed driveline on mine, with a Dura Ace crankset and front derailleur, for a total of 22 speeds. And it is all bolt-on, no fabrication or modification. And if and when Shimano comes up with a 12 speed system, it will likely bolt onto the Birdy as easy as the 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed parts do.
With your 2X11 system, do you have any idea of the gear range as expressed in gear inches?
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 12:17 AM   #855
foldingdroid
Senior Member
 
foldingdroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Bikes: Birdy Monocoque, Riteway Glacier, Dahon Mariner D7
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
What is the better V brakes can you recommend for Birdy? Will Magura rim brakes will fit on a Birdy?
foldingdroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 03:36 AM   #856
Sangetsu
Senior Member
 
Sangetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 東京都
Bikes:
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldingdroid View Post
What is the better V brakes can you recommend for Birdy? Will Magura rim brakes will fit on a Birdy?
I use Shimano XTR v-brakes, no complaints. For 20" wheels I need adapters, but brakes with longer arms and slots work fine without adapters. The only problem with the longer arms and slots is that when the brake shoe is moved closer toward the end of the brake arms, the less leverage you have, which means increased braking effort. In a pinch, you can use your OEM brakes by moving the pads to the end of the slots, and turning them so the ends can grab the rim. I don't recommend doing this unless the alternative is no brakes at all.

With your 2X11 system, do you have any idea of the gear range as expressed in gear inches?

The range is from 17" to 85" (remember my Birdy has 20" wheels). It is quite adequate for just about anything, though the rear cassette looks the size of a dinner plate. There are some steep hills here in Japan, no need for me to get out of the saddle to climb them. The only difficulty I had was finding a front derailleur adapter which fit correctly. There is not a lot of space between the swingarm and the chain rings, so placement is critical. As I was using an Ultegra road hub, a spacer is needed for the 11 speed XTR cassette to fit properly, but it was included in the package.

Last edited by Sangetsu; 01-17-17 at 06:31 AM.
Sangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 03:49 AM   #857
foldingdroid
Senior Member
 
foldingdroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Bikes: Birdy Monocoque, Riteway Glacier, Dahon Mariner D7
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Thank you Sangetsu!
foldingdroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 05:50 PM   #858
mkatz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Birdy Disk brakes: hydraulic or cable actuated?

I've read references to current model Birdy disk brakes being hydraulic... and other references to them being cable driven. Is one correct and the other wrong or is the disk brake chosen a function of marketer preference?
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 06:02 PM   #859
yangmusa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco, California
Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 2000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
I've read references to current model Birdy disk brakes being hydraulic... and other references to them being cable driven. Is one correct and the other wrong or is the disk brake chosen a function of marketer preference?
If you look at the manufacturer's website, you'll see that they are all listed as hydraulic:
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/folding-bike/birdy/
yangmusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 06:20 PM   #860
mkatz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
But Pacific Cycles (which I think is the current manufacturer of Birdy) lists the the bike as supplied with an Avid BB 7 Disc brake (which I think is mechanical rather than hydraulic). Same for NYCEwheels (new york). Bfold lists TRP Spyre Disc Brake (also mechanical, I think). That's why I was/am confused!
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 09:43 PM   #861
foldingdroid
Senior Member
 
foldingdroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Bikes: Birdy Monocoque, Riteway Glacier, Dahon Mariner D7
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I suspect they supply different set-ups for different markets areas.
foldingdroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 11:54 PM   #862
Dropbear
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney, Australia
Bikes: Biomega Amsterdam, Biomega Boston, 2003 Birdy, Dynamic Tempo 8, XDS DD8
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I use Shimano XTR v-brakes, no complaints. For 20" wheels I need adapters, but brakes with longer arms and slots work fine without adapters. The only problem with the longer arms and slots is that when the brake shoe is moved closer toward the end of the brake arms, the less leverage you have, which means increased braking effort. In a pinch, you can use your OEM brakes by moving the pads to the end of the slots, and turning them so the ends can grab the rim. I don't recommend doing this unless the alternative is no brakes at all.

With your 2X11 system, do you have any idea of the gear range as expressed in gear inches?

The range is from 17" to 85" (remember my Birdy has 20" wheels). It is quite adequate for just about anything, though the rear cassette looks the size of a dinner plate. There are some steep hills here in Japan, no need for me to get out of the saddle to climb them. The only difficulty I had was finding a front derailleur adapter which fit correctly. There is not a lot of space between the swingarm and the chain rings, so placement is critical. As I was using an Ultegra road hub, a spacer is needed for the 11 speed XTR cassette to fit properly, but it was included in the package.
Are you referring to this type of brake adapter?



Besides swapping out the wheels and installing the adapters, are there any other adjustments needed?
Dropbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 12:03 AM   #863
mkatz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I use Shimano XTR v-brakes, no complaints. For 20" wheels I need adapters, but brakes with longer arms and slots work fine without adapters. The only problem with the longer arms and slots is that when the brake shoe is moved closer toward the end of the brake arms, the less leverage you have, which means increased braking effort. In a pinch, you can use your OEM brakes by moving the pads to the end of the slots, and turning them so the ends can grab the rim. I don't recommend doing this unless the alternative is no brakes at all.

With your 2X11 system, do you have any idea of the gear range as expressed in gear inches?

The range is from 17" to 85" (remember my Birdy has 20" wheels). It is quite adequate for just about anything, though the rear cassette looks the size of a dinner plate. There are some steep hills here in Japan, no need for me to get out of the saddle to climb them. The only difficulty I had was finding a front derailleur adapter which fit correctly. There is not a lot of space between the swingarm and the chain rings, so placement is critical. As I was using an Ultegra road hub, a spacer is needed for the 11 speed XTR cassette to fit properly, but it was included in the package.
I'm very curious: how has the use of 20" wheels affected the fold?

Last edited by mkatz; 03-15-17 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Just re-read the poster's post referencing v-brakes. Thus, my query about his disk brakes is inappropriate
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 12:47 AM   #864
Sangetsu
Senior Member
 
Sangetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 東京都
Bikes:
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
Are you referring to this type of brake adapter?



Besides swapping out the wheels and installing the adapters, are there any other adjustments needed?
These are not exactly the same ones that I use, but they will work. The cleanest adapters are the old Suntour Superbe type which adapted short-reach caliper brakes designed for 700c wheels for use on bikes with 27" wheels, though these adapters are very hard to find nowadays. If the adapters are expensive, it may be cheaper just to convert your v-brakes to the type which have longer slots. If price is no object, the Paul Motolite brakes work very well. My local shop sells the longer style v-brake arms, the entire kit, front and rear, is only $25. No special adjustments are necessary.

With the 20" wheels the fold is not as tight, though I can still fit the bike inside my Birdy carrying bag.

The 20" conversion makes an obvious difference in speed, handling, and run-down. And the larger wheels give me more clearance for my medium cage derailleur.
Sangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 12:55 AM   #865
Dropbear
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney, Australia
Bikes: Biomega Amsterdam, Biomega Boston, 2003 Birdy, Dynamic Tempo 8, XDS DD8
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
These are not exactly the same ones that I use, but they will work. The cleanest adapters are the old Suntour Superbe type which adapted short-reach caliper brakes designed for 700c wheels for use on bikes with 27" wheels, though these adapters are very hard to find nowadays. If the adapters are expensive, it may be cheaper just to convert your v-brakes to the type which have longer slots. If price is no object, the Paul Motolite brakes work very well. My local shop sells the longer style v-brake arms, the entire kit, front and rear, is only $25. No special adjustments are necessary.

With the 20" wheels the fold is not as tight, though I can still fit the bike inside my Birdy carrying bag.

The 20" conversion makes an obvious difference in speed, handling, and run-down. And the larger wheels give me more clearance for my medium cage derailleur.
$25 is a fantastic deal for the entire kit! I've tried looking for Ridea long reach V brakes locally but no such luck so far. The adapters are available on eBay, but they're roughly the same price as your entire kits.

Conversion to 20" wheels make a lot of sense. When I picked up my banged up old Birdy, that thing looked like it was using its derailleur as a kickstand. I guess a compromised fold is worth the change.
Dropbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 01:10 AM   #866
berlinonaut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
But Pacific Cycles (which I think is the current manufacturer of Birdy) lists the the bike as supplied with an Avid BB 7 Disc brake (which I think is mechanical rather than hydraulic). Same for NYCEwheels (new york). Bfold lists TRP Spyre Disc Brake (also mechanical, I think). That's why I was/am confused!
Riese and Müller is the inventor of the Birdy and also the manufacturer of the models for the western parts of the world. The frames are produced by pacific cycle and they produce and sell the Birdy in Asia. Specs may be different between the two as the product lines are independent from each other apart from using the same frame and the same name. The deal with Pacific Cycles regarding manufacturing and market-areas dates from the very beginning of the Birdy in the nineties when they were looking for some funding to start production and Pacific Cycles stepped in to help them with production of the frames, getting the right to serve the asian market with Birdies in exchange.

So depending on in which area of the world you are living Birdies may be speced differently.
berlinonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 12:17 PM   #867
mkatz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinonaut View Post
Riese and Müller is the inventor of the Birdy and also the manufacturer of the models for the western parts of the world. The frames are produced by pacific cycle and they produce and sell the Birdy in Asia. Specs may be different between the two as the product lines are independent from each other apart from using the same frame and the same name. The deal with Pacific Cycles regarding manufacturing and market-areas dates from the very beginning of the Birdy in the nineties when they were looking for some funding to start production and Pacific Cycles stepped in to help them with production of the frames, getting the right to serve the asian market with Birdies in exchange.

So depending on in which area of the world you are living Birdies may be speced differently.
Perfect! thank you for clearing up my confusion.
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 08:20 AM   #868
chris@propel
Junior Member
 
chris@propel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Riese & Müller Birdy Speed, Riese & Müller Load
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I hope you guys don't mind me posting in here, but I figured this might be of some interest for those of you who live in the NYC area. We have been working with Riese & Müller in Germany to bring their bikes to the states and we're going to have a party on April 8th. Heiko Müller, the co-founder of Riese & Müller will be there to talk about the history of the company along with his wife Dr. Sandra Wolf, the Brand Specialist & Managing Director of R&M. I added it to the calendar section, but I figured I would add it here as well. I hope to see some of you there

I'm not able to post links, but the event is April 8th from 6-9pm at Propel - 134 Flushing Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11205
chris@propel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 09:14 PM   #869
kidshibuya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Bikes: Dahon Mu LT11; Doppelganger Aurora 219
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Do you think it's possible to get a Birdy (not classic) to 8kg or under? I really like Birdys, the only reason I don't own one is weight.

Anyone know the weight of the frame and fork alone?
kidshibuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-17, 01:16 AM   #870
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,968
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I think you would have to go single speed and jokacks to get near 8kg. About 10.5 basic bike.
Birdie is one of the lightest folding bikes in mass production.
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 04:15 PM   #871
mkatz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Portland, Oregon has a Birdy dealer! Now that it does I can test-ride and finalize purchase details. That leaves me with another question: How does one obtain ColorPlus parts in the US?
mkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:22 PM   #872
daihung
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York
Bikes: 2014 Birdy Disc Polished Silver 9sp; 2013 Downtube Nova; 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@propel View Post
I hope you guys don't mind me posting in here, but I figured this might be of some interest for those of you who live in the NYC area. We have been working with Riese & Müller in Germany to bring their bikes to the states and we're going to have a party on April 8th. Heiko Müller, the co-founder of Riese & Müller will be there to talk about the history of the company along with his wife Dr. Sandra Wolf, the Brand Specialist & Managing Director of R&M. I added it to the calendar section, but I figured I would add it here as well. I hope to see some of you there

I'm not able to post links, but the event is April 8th from 6-9pm at Propel - 134 Flushing Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11205
What is this party about? What is the agenda? Anyone can go? Maybe bring my Birdy to get a signature? 😆
daihung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:30 PM   #873
chris@propel
Junior Member
 
chris@propel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Riese & Müller Birdy Speed, Riese & Müller Load
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post
What is this party about? What is the agenda? Anyone can go? Maybe bring my Birdy to get a signature? 😆
It's kind of a launch party for Riese & Müller coming to the US. Heiko and Sandra will be doing some press stuff so we figured we would throw a little party and Heiko is going to give a talk about the history of the company and what the future looks like. Anyone is welcome to come. I encourage you to come and bring your Birdy. I think Heiko would be happy to sign it

I hope you can make it. I'm really looking forward to it.
chris@propel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 09:40 AM   #874
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,968
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
stems fitting all models,

I have an old birdy silver I would like to upgrade the stem to the newer version.
I see online the stem for sale stating suitable for a 2011 birdie or onwards.
The stem I have seen fits a 2009 bike from the information.
I am aware of the difference in quick release and angle.
Are they all the same fitting in the headset?
There is a slight difference in seatpost diameter but a slight tweak of the clamp is all thats needed changing from my monocoque to classic
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 01:52 PM   #875
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,968
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Birdie stem fitting.
Can I just use a 1 1/8 threadless compatable folding stem from another folder??
Information would be appreciated.
Struggling to find this on line.
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION