Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-08, 06:20 PM   #1
badmother
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Best headtube angle for old folder.

Could somebody tell me the best headtube angle for an old "R20 like" detatchable? Looks much like the famous R20, so I think they can be compared.

I am going to put a new fork and since I find the headtube (and seattube) angle wery "relaxed" I was thinking of cutting off approx 1 1/2 cm of the lower part of the head tube before cutting it to the right lenght for the new fork.

What makes me think twice is that I`we got a similar bike, only 24" wheels. I rode it for a short time with a 26" rear and a 24" front just to test out the lowered front. Found the steering "twitchy" and strange. What is the best angle for such bikes?



The purple bike is mine, but picture is not good,



Blue /green bike is not mine and picture is not mine but same type bike and better picture.



Brown bike is my 24" that I tryed with lower front to change angle.

What do you think?
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 06:39 PM   #2
faffer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't answer your question, but I want to know more about the last bike. Is that a frame extension or is the bike originally like that?
faffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 12:55 AM   #3
badmother
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faffer View Post
I can't answer your question, but I want to know more about the last bike. Is that a frame extension or is the bike originally like that?
That is "Dogbike2", a DIY longtail /extracykel-like bike. Wanted a detatchable one since the first one I built is a bit difficult to transport on a small Toyota. Use it to ride ith my dog and to give him a lift when I go further than what is ok for him to run, or for shopping. This bike started out just like the others, but with 24" wheels instead of 20".

badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 06:42 AM   #4
timo888
...poet...
 
timo888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic USA
Bikes: bikes
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
What makes me think twice is that I`we got a similar bike, only 24" wheels. I rode it for a short time with a 26" rear and a 24" front just to test out the lowered front. Found the steering "twitchy" and strange. What is the best angle for such bikes?
The Xootr Swift's 72 degree angle doesn't feel twitchy to me.

If you were building the frame and intending to have a 26" rear 24" front: if you started with a 72 degree angle on the 26" front wheel, and then you swap in a 24" front wheel, you are tilting the head-tube forward about 3 degrees (assuming a 41" wheelbase), to around 75 degrees, shortening the trail. So you'd need to compensate by about 3 degrees. You'd want to weld the new headtube at a more acute angle, about 69 degrees, so that it would tilt forward to 72 when you install the smaller-diameter front wheel and the larger diameter rear wheel.

Regards
T
timo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:51 AM   #5
badmother
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo888 View Post
The Xootr Swift's 72 degree angle doesn't feel twitchy to me.

If you were building the frame and intending to have a 26" rear 24" front: if you started with a 72 degree angle on the 26" front wheel, and then you swap in a 24" front wheel, you are tilting the head-tube forward about 3 degrees (assuming a 41" wheelbase), to around 75 degrees, shortening the trail. So you'd need to compensate by about 3 degrees. You'd want to weld the new headtube at a more acute angle, about 69 degrees, so that it would tilt forward to 72 when you install the smaller-diameter front wheel and the larger diameter rear wheel.

Regards
T
Ok, thank you. I am mainly working on the 20" at the moment and want to do the same with the 24" later. I am keeping same size wheels on the 24".

I`ll stick to 72 degrees, I`ll post pix when done.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 PM.