Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-08, 07:56 PM   #1
marshhawk
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dahon Mu p24

I'd like to buy a foldie to use on tours in Europe and here in Canada. I'm looking at the Dahon Mu P24.
I'd love some expert opinions on its suitability as a touring bike. What about the reliability of the Scam Duel Drive? Any info would be great.
Thanks
marshhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 09:06 PM   #2
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scam Duel Drive ...lol thats a good one ... Its the SRAM DUAL Drive ...

and yes its as good as most people describe it. I hear a lot but havent heard anybody growling about that drivetrain yet.... spares are indeed available from Sram ( and Dahon)
I see no problems ....

of course I am somewhat biased ...lol
thor
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 11:25 PM   #3
mrbrown
Senior Member
 
mrbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is very reliable. I've ride a P24 to work and have taken it overseas for long rides too.

The Dual Drive does make the rear wheel a little heavier but you won't really feel it when you ride it, only when you lift it up.
mrbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 08:38 PM   #4
tblendell
Senior Member
 
tblendell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: hollywood, ca.
Bikes: cannondale cross, , tommaso as1, cannondale jekyll
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hey there! can i hijack this?
my GF just bought a P24 for our trip to Italy next month (i have a BF pocket rocket).
does anyone know for sure if its possible to pull a trailer/suitcase a la Bike Friday with this rig?
i've read a few things on the web where its not possible without changing the rear wheel to a non-geared hub, and thing where it IS possible.
would love to know for sure and how to do it.
and any other tips for light touring with it.
tblendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 07:33 AM   #5
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sure it can pull a trailer ...
just try it out now and not a day before you go on vacation....

put some miles on the bike, bring it to the dealer and have him re true the wheels
take the clickbox off the bike and unscrew the pin before you pack the bike
get familar with putting the clickbox back on
get some tubes and tools
and u set to go
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 06:55 PM   #6
tblendell
Senior Member
 
tblendell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: hollywood, ca.
Bikes: cannondale cross, , tommaso as1, cannondale jekyll
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
great. thanks!
what's a clickbox????
tblendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 02:54 AM   #7
tblendell
Senior Member
 
tblendell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: hollywood, ca.
Bikes: cannondale cross, , tommaso as1, cannondale jekyll
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my GF and I are touring Tuscany in a couple of weeks and she's bringing her Mu P24 as above.
two things i've noticed so far: packing it into a regular large suitcase, eg. a Carlton case formerly available from Bike Friday is tough, and you can't fit in both wheels, partly because of the extra width of the dual drive hub. I THINK it'll squeeze into the newer 31 inch Flite case that BF sells now (and available on the Bay for MUCH cheaper)...

also, got the "tour rack" from a Dahon Retailer. looks great, its pretty light, but can't use my Ortleib's because of significant heal strike...
maybe some smaller panniers or awkwardly strap a backpack/duffel to the top of the rack.
great little bike, otherwise, though.

there's a website by Gaerlan.com (i think, maybe do a search) and they recommend using a Speed P8. its only got 8 gears in the rear, but they claim putting on a smaller chainring in the front is an easy fix (along with removing a bit of chain) so you get some lower gears for the hills (really important if you've got gear with you). In fact, I have great BF pocket rocket, but i'm looking for a used one of these because they fold up SO fast and easy, no tools required, like my pocket rocket (unless you're getting on a plane)
tblendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 06:52 AM   #8
Azreal911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblendell View Post
hey there! can i hijack this?
my GF just bought a P24 for our trip to Italy next month (i have a BF pocket rocket).
does anyone know for sure if its possible to pull a trailer/suitcase a la Bike Friday with this rig?
i've read a few things on the web where its not possible without changing the rear wheel to a non-geared hub, and thing where it IS possible.
would love to know for sure and how to do it.
and any other tips for light touring with it.
if not the suitcase you can bring a bob trailer, my friend put it on his curve and it works like a charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bob-trailer.jpg (104.3 KB, 26 views)
Azreal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 08:32 AM   #9
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblendell View Post
my GF and I are touring Tuscany in a couple of weeks and she's bringing her Mu P24 as above.
two things i've noticed so far: packing it into a regular large suitcase, eg. a Carlton case formerly available from Bike Friday is tough, and you can't fit in both wheels, partly because of the extra width of the dual drive hub. I THINK it'll squeeze into the newer 31 inch Flite case that BF sells now (and available on the Bay for MUCH cheaper)...

also, got the "tour rack" from a Dahon Retailer. looks great, its pretty light, but can't use my Ortleib's because of significant heal strike...
maybe some smaller panniers or awkwardly strap a backpack/duffel to the top of the rack.
great little bike, otherwise, though.

there's a website by Gaerlan.com (i think, maybe do a search) and they recommend using a Speed P8. its only got 8 gears in the rear, but they claim putting on a smaller chainring in the front is an easy fix (along with removing a bit of chain) so you get some lower gears for the hills (really important if you've got gear with you). In fact, I have great BF pocket rocket, but i'm looking for a used one of these because they fold up SO fast and easy, no tools required, like my pocket rocket (unless you're getting on a plane)
Try a front rack and put your Ortliebs there. Unless you are going off road full size rear panniers in the front works fine. At least it did for us this summer. It is better for the bke that you put the luggage in the front anyway.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 10:16 PM   #10
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the Mu Xl would be a nice touring bike. I like the idea of an internal hub.
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 12:36 AM   #11
tblendell
Senior Member
 
tblendell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: hollywood, ca.
Bikes: cannondale cross, , tommaso as1, cannondale jekyll
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
so...back from the quick tour in italy....
used small ortleibs in the back with the dahon p24 and no problems at all. figured out the clickbox removal etc. if you take off both wheels it fits nicely (with the rack) into the BF suitcase, a 31 inch samsonite flite. we stowed our cases at the hotel in rome until our return the night before our flight home. the p24 def. had enough gears for the tuscan hills, but i think if i were to buy it again i'd pick up the p8 and use a smaller front chainring...
tblendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 09:02 AM   #12
kamtsa
Senior Member
 
kamtsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblendell View Post
so...back from the quick tour in italy....
Any picture to post here?

;-)
kamtsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 12:44 PM   #13
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome back. I picked up a MuSl since the last time and 9 gears work well for me. With a P8 you can always get a front derailluer and have 2 chainrings.
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 09:14 PM   #14
tblendell
Senior Member
 
tblendell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: hollywood, ca.
Bikes: cannondale cross, , tommaso as1, cannondale jekyll
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
okay! leaving out pictures of accidentally ending up on the freeway and scrambling to stuff the bikes into bags for the train!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5321.jpg (99.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5645.jpg (97.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5444.jpg (101.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5556.jpg (99.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5811.jpg (100.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by tblendell; 10-11-09 at 09:22 PM.
tblendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 09:45 PM   #15
vmaniqui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, SF California
Bikes: Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblendell View Post
okay! leaving out pictures of accidentally ending up on the freeway and scrambling to stuff the bikes into bags for the train!
nice pics especially the first pics of the bikes with the panniers. did your girlfriend had any heel strike problem with the pannier ? i have a mu xl and planning on adding a pannier but worried about the heel strike issue.

thanks,
vic
vmaniqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 01:05 PM   #16
tblendell
Senior Member
 
tblendell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: hollywood, ca.
Bikes: cannondale cross, , tommaso as1, cannondale jekyll
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
we used the ortlieb front roller on the back for the p24 and it was fine. also tried some older REI panniers that also worked well. was able to adjust the ortleibs back a bit, so maybe could have fit the larger back roller ortliebs, but the smaller front rollers were plenty big enough. they also make a front rack for the dahon. we used the dahon tour rack.
tblendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 PM.