Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-09, 12:01 PM   #26
Foldable Two
Senior Member
 
Foldable Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Cadenza Solo is a nice bike, but not a proper cruiser here at the beach in Ventura, CA.

This is what a cool cruiser looks like around here - single-speed with a coaster break.

ADD: I have only seen three or four real Fixies" around here in the last two months, and two of them were together. In Portland they are the 'basic city bike' and abound, but not here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electra_111118_08_m.jpg (17.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Foldable Two; 01-26-09 at 03:36 PM.
Foldable Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:10 PM   #27
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter
 
jdmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Bikes: Trek Soho S
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
Cadenza SOlo is indeed available in the US
http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/2008/cadenzasolo.htm

but no Cadenza SOlo for 09 in the US ......

Thanks Thor
Yeah, I remember the 08's being available in the US (and sadly noticed them after I bought my Trek Soho S, of the two I think I would have preferred a Solo - not to say I don't like my Trek, I do, but of the two for the money I think the solo would have been the better deal).

However, I hadn't noticed that you still had some '08s in stock (may have to look at one of those in the future...). Is there any major mechanical upgrade? Other than the obvious 1) handlebar change to bullhorns 2) update to the frame triangle (check the images near the top of the seat tube).

Any thoughts on WHY Dahon nixxed the Solo for the US? Other than the fact that it's got 26" wheels (which some don't like, but Specialized is doing fine with it's 26" single speed... Globe something or other), the fact that it'd got a EBB and it's crazy read for modifying makes it a killer deal.
jdmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 03:29 PM   #28
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmitch View Post
Yeah, I remember the 08's being available in the US (and sadly noticed them after I bought my Trek Soho S, of the two I think I would have preferred a Solo - not to say I don't like my Trek, I do, but of the two for the money I think the solo would have been the better deal).

However, I hadn't noticed that you still had some '08s in stock (may have to look at one of those in the future...). Is there any major mechanical upgrade? Other than the obvious 1) handlebar change to bullhorns 2) update to the frame triangle (check the images near the top of the seat tube).

Any thoughts on WHY Dahon nixxed the Solo for the US? Other than the fact that it's got 26" wheels (which some don't like, but Specialized is doing fine with it's 26" single speed... Globe something or other), the fact that it'd got a EBB and it's crazy read for modifying makes it a killer deal.
I think Dahon'd make a mint if they did their BreakAway frame in a ss/fg version...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 04:59 PM   #29
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter
 
jdmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Bikes: Trek Soho S
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
I think Dahon'd make a mint if they did their BreakAway frame in a ss/fg version...
Breakaway... you talking like the Tournado? Mmm... that could be really slick, since if you went fg, you could just run a front brake...
jdmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 05:41 PM   #30
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Solo is a fixed gear/singlespeed.
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 07:17 PM   #31
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Models in the US or models in the Uk or elsewhere .....
here is how i works ... I bet Dahon would like to sll every model they make everywhere... but they let the importers decide what models they can sell to the dealers in their market ....
If enough dealers place orders for the new 09 Dahon Solo at the tradeshow in October than that bike will be showing up in the 09 line up .. If the dealers are only lukewarm than it ight not...
So far we have 08 for sale and no need for 09 !

Sometimes Singlespeeders think that they make a big market ... I tend to dissagree ....
( I have sold ONE !!! all last year )

Thor

p.s
what that means is that if you like to get one and you live in the USA now its the time to get that butt of the fence and put some money down .... lol
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 09:11 AM   #32
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter
 
jdmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Bikes: Trek Soho S
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
Models in the US or models in the Uk or elsewhere .....
here is how i works ... I bet Dahon would like to sll every model they make everywhere... but they let the importers decide what models they can sell to the dealers in their market ....
If enough dealers place orders for the new 09 Dahon Solo at the tradeshow in October than that bike will be showing up in the 09 line up .. If the dealers are only lukewarm than it ight not...
So far we have 08 for sale and no need for 09 !

Sometimes Singlespeeders think that they make a big market ... I tend to dissagree ....
( I have sold ONE !!! all last year )

Thor

p.s
what that means is that if you like to get one and you live in the USA now its the time to get that butt of the fence and put some money down .... lol
I guess that makes sense on how they decide what's coming to market in a given year.

Yeah, I'd jump on one of the Solo's you have in stock if my wife and I weren't in house-hunting mode (meaning no 'extra' expenses for a while).
jdmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 03:04 PM   #33
EastBiker
Dis Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai View Post
??? By which you mean, just like every other Dahon, Downtube, and low-end folder on the market?
Wow, you're so wrapped up in your tikit that you're dissin' other bikes? Lumping Dahon and Downtube with low end folders huh?
EastBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 07:39 PM   #34
datako
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
...Sometimes Singlespeeders think that they make a big market ... I tend to dissagree ....
( I have sold ONE !!! all last year )...
Now, now! We don't really think that, but we tend to deal with shops that specialise in SS stuff, and also we tend to build our own bikes from scratch, so generalist dealers don't see much of us. (Although you have sold me some stuff )

But we do have the same frame requirements as hub geared bikes, and as those get more leverage in the market, you'll see more of us.

As a matter of interest, do Dahon sell frames so someone could build their own ss Dahon?

Last edited by datako; 01-29-09 at 07:43 PM.
datako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 08:55 PM   #35
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol ,,, maybe a little offbeat statement there .... but the reality is that the demand is low than the manufacturer will not make huge efforts to make more models available ....

No sorry no frames ..I have some repair 20 inch frames or can get them to fix a bike which got into an accident or such .. but nothing for sale ... unfortunately .... i tried hard VERY ..lol

I will order some Mu unos when they become available .. for sure .. just not 10 at a time ..lol

thor
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 09:43 PM   #36
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
No sorry no frames ..I have some repair 20 inch frames or can get them to fix a bike which got into an accident or such .. but nothing for sale ... unfortunately .... i tried hard VERY ..lol
This Dahon sales model reminds me of the Apple model... "No you can't. You buy a Mac with our SW on it and that's that."

But Thor's is in a position to make an informed statement, being a shop owner. The market must suck.

I have my revamped Eska (which is not entirely unlike the Uno) up on ebay (190282409052) here in Melbourne and it seems to be generating interest... people asking me to post it and I don't want to. I didn't think it was that special...
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 12:28 AM   #37
feijai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBiker View Post
Wow, you're so wrapped up in your tikit that you're dissin' other bikes?
An astonishing misreading of what I wrote. I didn't say a dang bad thing about other bikes, and in fact own two Dahons. I was only irritated at an overexcited posting about how the Uno folds, only to find out after clicking the link that it folds in the standard way. Shouldn't have let my irritation out on the forums: it was a very bad day. But don't you let that stand in the way of a playground style swipe opportunity.

Last edited by feijai; 01-30-09 at 12:41 AM.
feijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 03:26 AM   #38
datako
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
...I will order some Mu unos when they become available .. for sure .. just not 10 at a time...
Very wise in my opinion!
datako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 01:58 PM   #39
EastBiker
Dis Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai View Post
An astonishing misreading of what I wrote. I didn't say a dang bad thing about other bikes, and in fact own two Dahons. I was only irritated at an overexcited posting about how the Uno folds, only to find out after clicking the link that it folds in the standard way. Shouldn't have let my irritation out on the forums: it was a very bad day. But don't you let that stand in the way of a playground style swipe opportunity.
LOL, the first playground swipe was you first post here. Take that.
EastBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 AM.