Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dahon Vitesse D7HG = Ridgeback Attache?

    Subject says it I guess. Are those 2 bikes the same thing badged differently? They look like they are, but here in the UK there's a considerable price difference.

    Thanks. The stratmeister

  2. #2
    Foldie Owner
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    My Bikes
    Dahon Vitesse D7hg
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ridgeback = Vitesse

    I own a Vitesse D7hg and this looks exactly the same. There may be some specs that are different but according to the following it is made by Dahon:

    http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/...k_attache.html

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hankski View Post
    I own a Vitesse D7hg and this looks exactly the same. There may be some specs that are different but according to the following it is made by Dahon:

    http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/...k_attache.html
    Thanks Hankski. In which case what do you think of the D7HG? As a general commuter bike, with maybe the occasional towpath type thing. I'm attracted by the hub gears, which I have on my non folder.

    Cheers, the stratster

  4. #4
    Foldie Owner
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    My Bikes
    Dahon Vitesse D7hg
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Buy it...

    I think this is an good commuter bike for use on paved surfaces and the occasional gravel surfaces. The Nexus 7 speed internal geared hub is smooth and accurate (no slipping). The gearing on my D7hg is a for low to middle speed travel (range = 42"-78"). The V-brakes are strong and the steering light. The contruction quality is very good except the chain guard which is plastic and a bit fragile. My guard is crazed from stowing it in the back of my car chain guard down. The tires are light and manueverable and as a result prone to puncture.


    I'd say that 429GBP is a good buy for this bike
    Last edited by hankski; 02-09-09 at 04:16 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hankski View Post
    I think this is an good commuter bike for use on paved surfaces and the occasional gravel surfaces. The Nexus 7 speed internal geared hub is smooth and accurate (no slipping). The gearing on my D7hg is a for low to middle speed travel (range = 42"-78"). The V-brakes are strong and the steering light. The contruction quality is very good except the chain guard which is plastic and a bit fragile. My guard is crazed from stowing it in the back of my car chain guard down. The tires are light and manueverable and as a result prone to puncture.


    I'd say that 429GBP is a good buy for this bike
    Thanks for that. Looks like the lowest gear might be bit of struggle on steep hills?

    I guess I can always change the tyres.

    And the current lowest price in the UK is £280, delivered, which seems like an absolute bargain to me.

    Cheers, stratman

  6. #6
    Bicycling Gnome
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    55.0N 1.59W
    Posts
    1,877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stratman View Post
    Thanks for that. Looks like the lowest gear might be bit of struggle on steep hills?

    I guess I can always change the tyres.

    And the current lowest price in the UK is £280, delivered, which seems like an absolute bargain to me.

    Cheers, stratman
    This D7HG looks like a hell of a bargain on Ebay.co.uk - £267!!

    It has a gear range between 34" - 84".

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAHON-VITESSE-...|39:1|240:1308

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    This D7HG looks like a hell of a bargain on Ebay.co.uk - £267!!

    It has a gear range between 34" - 84".

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAHON-VITESSE-...|39:1|240:1308
    Yes, that's what I thought. There's a Dahon Jack about to arrive at my front door any minute now, from the same people. I'm tempted by the D7HG too, but that might be overdoing it a bit.

    Still, that price is fantastic isn't it?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmmm....

    That D7HG is very cheap. But I'd only really be getting it as a small folder, as I've almost got a back of the car folder (the Jack). Looking at the folded size it's still a fair bit bigger than a Brompton.

    Anybody here done any multi mode commuting with a 20" wheel Dahon (especially the D7 or D7HG). Particularly in the UK, either buses or trains.

    If anybody's done a similar thing with Bromptons I'd be interested to hear how much the smaller folded size and smaller wheel size of the Bromptons makes a difference.

    Cheers.

  9. #9
    These go to eleven kegoguinness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Distrito de Columbia
    My Bikes
    BF Pocket Crusoe; B Tikit; dust-gathering MTB
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stratman, I haven't done MM commuting in the UK (being on the other side of the pond) but I use my Dahon Speed P8 for MM commuting and love it. It folds plenty small enough for the train (smaller than a baby stroller, which is my yardstick should anyone complain (and no one ever has). It is heavy at 27ish pounds (12.2 kg), but plenty light enough to carry the length of a train platform and up and down stairs. All-in-all, I love the bike and find it easy to use for commuting, and a stable, comfortable ride on the streets and on light trail use.
    1989 Lumaca Schiacciata
    2003 Réfléchi Souteneur
    2010 salsicha vermelha

  10. #10
    Senior Member rbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    My Bikes
    '07 Brompton S6L; '10 Brompton M6R
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Brompton does fold significantly smaller. It just fits in luggage racks on busses, I doubt a 20" bike would. On trains, I don't think it would be an issue - the luggage areas are big enough for both, and both of them are too big to fit overhead or under the seat.
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Ghandi

    Live as if the world were the way it should be, to show them what it could be - Angel

  11. #11
    Foldie Owner
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    My Bikes
    Dahon Vitesse D7hg
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilV View Post
    It has a gear range between 34" - 84".
    You know this gear range makes better sense to me. That 42-78 gear inch that I quoted previously was from the Dahon website: http://www.dahon.com/us/vitessed7hg.htm

    I think they have the specs wrong for their own product.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,553
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hankski View Post
    You know this gear range makes better sense to me. That 42-78 gear inch that I quoted previously was from the Dahon website: http://www.dahon.com/us/vitessed7hg.htm

    I think they have the specs wrong for their own product.
    42-78 would be for the 3spd version..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •