I have my entry level NWT for 2.5 weeks now and am not happy with the gear system (every thing else is very good). I a consider to upgrade it and will appreciate any advice.
Cranks Alloy 170mm 30/42/52 130/74 bcd 119mm
Derailleurs Fr. Shimano R443 Braze triple Ft
Derailleurs R. SRAM 3.0 ESP Long Cage (34t)
Shifters SRAM 3.0 8x3 micro front ESP/pair
Cassette 11-32 8sp SRAM PG-830 Cassette Chains 3841
Hub R. BF Select 32o 130mm REAR-Silver/black
My main goals are:
1. Get rid of the front derailleur (difficult to fold, need to micro adjust).
2. Get better quality components and improve shifting and reliability
3. Nice to have but not required: get rid of rear derailleur
4. Maintain gear ratio of at least 350%, nice to have >= 450% (currently I have 504%)
5. I am happy with twist shifters but other kinds may also be ok
6. Upgrade cost lower than letís say $500 (not a hard limit but I am trying to find a sub Rohloff solution)
The bikes are still in the 30 days refund period so it is OK to have solutions that are not compatible with the existing frame (I discussed it with BF).
My typical usage pattern: the bike lays folded in the back of my car. Each time I ride them I unfold, ride 5-20 miles, fold, and put back in the car.
Here is the list of the options I identified so far
1. SRAM DualDrive. Qualms: noisy? Reliability? RD can be damaged easily when folding?
2. Alfine + tensioner + 2 chain rings (manual range switch by moving the chain between the chain wheels by hand). Qualms: inconvenience of moving the chain between chain rings, Alfine's iregular shifting ratios.
3. Alfine + Crank gear (donít remember the name of this two shift gear that is part of the crank where you shift by moving a button with your feet) Qualms: too complex? Option 2 seems to be simpler since I donít need the entire range all the time.
4. I-Motion 9: Qualms: noisy? 350% range is marginal.
5. Get a 8x3 RR/FD configuration similar to the existing one but with better quality components. Qualms: will it make the folding and shifting better?
6. Anything else?
Which option would you recomand?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.