Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    My Bikes
    HP Grasshopper, Brompton, Claud Butler Tourer
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Uncomfortable riding position of a Birdy

    It may just be me, but I have recently purchased a new Birdy which came as standard with the comfort stem, I have tried changing the saddle to my well used Brooks, adjusting the height of the handlebars, seat height etc and putting bar extensions to increase the reach, but I just cannot get a comfortable position, I am just under 6ft and wondered whether changing the stem the the standard one which doesn't look to give you any height adjustment would be the answer. The ride position just seems too cramped. I had planned to take it touring this year, but so far my old tourer beats the Birdy hands down on comfort value.

    Any advice would be well received.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Victoria BC Canada & La Quinta CA USA
    My Bikes
    Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Monocoque 24 Speed, KHS Westwood Folder
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sounds as though you have the adjustable height 5 deg "comfort"stem but need the 25 deg stem which is I believe available in fixed height and adjustable height.

    This web page http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/birdy.htm shows 2 bikes with the 5 deg adjustable stem and 2 with the 25 deg adjustable stem.

    I am 6'2" with long limbs and I have an older Birdy with a fixed height 25 deg stem. I had planned to replace it with an adjustable stem but it has turned out its geometry works pretty well for me.

    IIRC, the adjustable height stem cannot be adjusted to be quite as low as the fixed stem. Perhaps it can be modified to do so.

    David

    .

  3. #3
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,980
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the sports stem riser - I am 5'10" also couldn't ride my Birdy with the comfort version. It all depends on what you're used to - make sure your body-bicycle contact points are at identical geometrical relationships to your other bike, and you will definitely be comfortable.

    I was able to swap cost-free on my new Birdy. See the Birdy Thread.

  4. #4
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somersetflyer View Post
    It may just be me, but I have recently purchased a new Birdy which came as standard with the comfort stem, I have tried changing the saddle to my well used Brooks, adjusting the height of the handlebars, seat height etc and putting bar extensions to increase the reach, but I just cannot get a comfortable position, I am just under 6ft and wondered whether changing the stem the the standard one which doesn't look to give you any height adjustment would be the answer. The ride position just seems too cramped. I had planned to take it touring this year, but so far my old tourer beats the Birdy hands down on comfort value.

    Any advice would be well received.
    If you ask around -- blackdogbicycles has it -- you can find the old, old stem post which lets one attach an ahead-type stem.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    My Bikes
    HP Grasshopper, Brompton, Claud Butler Tourer
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the first free service coming up soon at AVC in Bath, I think I will ask for the stem to be swapped back as none of the changes I have made with the comfort stem helps with the riding comfort, even turning my knees hit the handlebars. Thanks for the feedback time for a change

    Andrew

  6. #6
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,980
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep your knees should definitely not be close to the bars.

  7. #7
    The Legitimiser Sammyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    My Bikes
    Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.
    Posts
    4,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVC is the same company that calls itself foldingbikes.co.uk on the interwebz, (see link above) so you should be fine .

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    My Bikes
    HP Grasshopper, Brompton, Claud Butler Tourer
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have since spoken to AVC who will swap the stem over on Friday when the bike has its free service, hopefully this will resolve the problem.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Somerset UK
    My Bikes
    HP Grasshopper, Brompton, Claud Butler Tourer
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a final followup, AVC swapped the stem today without a fuss, and lent me a similar style for the duration of the service, ended up cycling almost 40 miles along the bath to Bristol cycleway, the new stem has completely changed the geometry of the bike, much more comfortable with the steering feeling more responsive.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Chop!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cymru (Wales)
    My Bikes
    GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    If you ask around -- blackdogbicycles has it -- you can find the old, old stem post which lets one attach an ahead-type stem.
    Beware! Some of the old stems were prone to shearing at the weld above the hinge, I had a very scary experience of this. R & M supplied a new improved stem FOC, which was fitted FOC by AVC in Bath, England
    A to Z of Folding Bikes, Designers, Sellers, Accessories, Forums, Meetings, Publications
    My bicycle site
    My Microcar & alternate energy vehicle site.
    Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
    Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!

  11. #11
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,980
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somersetflyer View Post
    As a final followup, AVC swapped the stem today without a fuss, and lent me a similar style for the duration of the service, ended up cycling almost 40 miles along the bath to Bristol cycleway, the new stem has completely changed the geometry of the bike, much more comfortable with the steering feeling more responsive.
    Excellent!


  12. #12
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop! View Post
    Beware! Some of the old stems were prone to shearing at the weld above the hinge, I had a very scary experience of this. R & M supplied a new improved stem FOC, which was fitted FOC by AVC in Bath, England
    I didn't realize that there was an update. Certainly asking about this would be prudent.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Chop!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cymru (Wales)
    My Bikes
    GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    I didn't realize that there was an update. Certainly asking about this would be prudent.
    I wasn't trying to start a panic! It was on my Birdy that was stolen, it was several years ago & R & M are aware of the problem and have fixed it in all newer models, but it was the reference to 'old stock' that made me mention it.
    A to Z of Folding Bikes, Designers, Sellers, Accessories, Forums, Meetings, Publications
    My bicycle site
    My Microcar & alternate energy vehicle site.
    Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
    Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •