Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Forigve me father, for I have sinned...

    ...and bought a nice univega mixte instead of a folder. It was just the right size, right price (well, kinda), and right color, so I had to jump on the deal! It's making my way to me from Ohio Pics soon when I get the bike, hopefully by next week. I guess this means no brommie though (at least, not immediately).

    On to the folder talk--has anyone tried to put a downtube mini under the seat of a bus/train? I know that the brommie fits, but since I'm not getting one (yet...but one day, yes, one day...) I wanna know how well the downtube will stand up to crowded buses. If it doesn't do well with that I might need to seriously reevaluate the "omgwtfbbq hills!!!!" part of my commute and get a strida knockoff or carryme instead.
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  2. #2
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never tried putting my Mini under a bus or train seat, but I've taken it on a train. Talk about your stares.

    Congrats on the mixte. Very cool style of bike.

  3. #3
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the mini small enough to smoosh in a crowded train? I ask because I just brought my borrowed classic Dahon on the bus this morning because the racks were full and it was...rather uncomfortable.
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  4. #4
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    ...and bought a nice univega mixte instead of a folder. It was just the right size, right price (well, kinda), and right color, so I had to jump on the deal! It's making my way to me from Ohio Pics soon when I get the bike, hopefully by next week. I guess this means no brommie though (at least, not immediately).

    On to the folder talk--has anyone tried to put a downtube mini under the seat of a bus/train? I know that the brommie fits, but since I'm not getting one (yet...but one day, yes, one day...) I wanna know how well the downtube will stand up to crowded buses. If it doesn't do well with that I might need to seriously reevaluate the "omgwtfbbq hills!!!!" part of my commute and get a strida knockoff or carryme instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    Is the mini small enough to smoosh in a crowded train? I ask because I just brought my borrowed classic Dahon on the bus this morning because the racks were full and it was...rather uncomfortable.
    No need to be apologetic here, Nekohime. I am just happy and relieved to see that you are still riding in spite of that sad experience with your Piccolo. As for squeezing aboard a crowded train with a small folder, you can do it a tiny bit better with a 16" folder than a 20" one. Not by much though. It seems to be a problem of any space or cranny being occupied by pressed bodies or junk people like to tote with them. And I have seen the strangest things brought aboard buses or trains. When I was younger and before the Brompton, I used skateboards to get aboard the crowded buses (no trains at that time) and around campus when I got there. I think I would be a bit silly to ride one now at my age, but you will be fine on one (one of the hidden reasons why I bought the Brompton when I did). While even the most compact folder takes very little room, it still needs a spot to put it on. And people do not like to move one they jump on. So for me, I avoid using public transit anymore if I can help it. I seem to go back to the days before combining public transit/bikes was even dreamed of. I hope you will not be forced to even consider this.

  5. #5
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,112
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    ...and bought a nice univega mixte instead of a folder.
    No soup for you. Next!!

    [/soup nazi]

  6. #6
    phony collective progress x136's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Hoosey
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/user/36663
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    Is the mini small enough to smoosh in a crowded train? I ask because I just brought my borrowed classic Dahon on the bus this morning because the racks were full and it was...rather uncomfortable.
    When the train started filling up, I undid the middle latch and folded it in half and stood next to it.

    That said, I've had my 60cm touring bike on that same train. People can deal.

  7. #7
    rhm
    rhm is online now
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1945? Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1954 Drysdale, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,217
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    Is the mini small enough to smoosh in a crowded train? I ask because I just brought my borrowed classic Dahon on the bus this morning because the racks were full and it was...rather uncomfortable.
    I have got on some pretty crowded trains with mine, but it was a bit uncomfortable. The mini is most portable with the seat extended, but it's not very small that way. If you're taking it on a crowded train/bus you definitely want to arrange something to hold it together when you pick it up; I use an old helmet strap.

    I have successfully put it under the seat on the train, but ironically you need a lot of room to do that. So even if there's room for it down there (as is likely) you may not be able to get it into that space.

  8. #8
    Dis Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
    No need to be apologetic here, Nekohime. I am just happy and relieved to see that you are still riding in spite of that sad experience with your Piccolo. As for squeezing aboard a crowded train with a small folder, you can do it a tiny bit better with a 16" folder than a 20" one. Not by much though. It seems to be a problem of any space or cranny being occupied by pressed bodies or junk people like to tote with them. And I have seen the strangest things brought aboard buses or trains. When I was younger and before the Brompton, I used skateboards to get aboard the crowded buses (no trains at that time) and around campus when I got there. I think I would be a bit silly to ride one now at my age, but you will be fine on one (one of the hidden reasons why I bought the Brompton when I did). While even the most compact folder takes very little room, it still needs a spot to put it on. And people do not like to move one they jump on. So for me, I avoid using public transit anymore if I can help it. I seem to go back to the days before combining public transit/bikes was even dreamed of. I hope you will not be forced to even consider this.
    Huh????
    Quote Originally Posted by makeinu View Post
    For a bike without a derailleur you really don't need to oil the chain at all and I don't oil the chains on any of my folding bikes.

  9. #9
    Pedaling fool ShinyBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Looking forward to the pix.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    My Bikes
    xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more
    Posts
    982
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I brought my Mini on my Xtracycle to a Transit Meeting and the Transit director called a driver to bring a bus over so everyone could see how it works on the bus. The DT Mini fit under the seats and on my lap if I sat down. Everyone was impressed -especially when they rode it around the block and it rode like a 'real' bike. I use a short bungy cord to hold it together when folded -I am looking to make a nice little strap for that. The Xtra didn't fit on the front bike rack though.

  11. #11
    Female Member KitN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMGOMGWTFBBQ?!? How dare you! I mean, really, how dare you!? You're cheating on your folder with a mixte? Shame on you!
    Ride what you like. Ride in what you like.

  12. #12
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    OMGOMGWTFBBQ?!? How dare you! I mean, really, how dare you!? You're cheating on your folder with a mixte? Shame on you!
    Yeah, for shame!
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  13. #13
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhm View Post
    I have got on some pretty crowded trains with mine, but it was a bit uncomfortable. The mini is most portable with the seat extended, but it's not very small that way. If you're taking it on a crowded train/bus you definitely want to arrange something to hold it together when you pick it up; I use an old helmet strap.

    I have successfully put it under the seat on the train, but ironically you need a lot of room to do that. So even if there's room for it down there (as is likely) you may not be able to get it into that space.

    Hmm...I usually get on the bus/train at points where it isn't crowded at all, so I think I can manage putting it under the seat, but I get off when there are a lot of people, so getting it out might be a problem. Train is usually no problem; full-sized bikes can fit easily during rush hour. It's the buses that suck.
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  14. #14
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    pics or it never happened
    :-)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Swift folder, single speed
    Posts
    857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    ...and bought a nice univega mixte instead of a folder. It was just the right size and bla bla bla further excuses...

    You will report at 0600 to the parade grounds to have your epaulets and insignia ceremonially removed, and you will be dishonorably drummed out of the folding bike corps!
    Last edited by werewolf; 02-24-09 at 09:09 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nekohime View Post
    ...and bought a nice univega mixte instead of a folder. It was just the right size, right price (well, kinda), and right color, so I had to jump on the deal! It's making my way to me from Ohio Pics soon when I get the bike, hopefully by next week. I guess this means no brommie though (at least, not immediately).
    A few sins newer hurt anyone as long as there are no fathers (priests) involved in the sinns.. Do not listen to the bad kids telling you off, I can totally understand! A great mixte in the right size is not something you find any day. Folders "grow on trees", you can get one as soon as you`ve got the cash. Of course sometimes testriding them can be a problem, but buying is relatively easy. I am serousely restoring mine this spring, we should make a mixte tread here Waiting for pix!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixtes fold too. Many years ago my sons rode my wife's mixte into a wall (both were on it) and it folded beautifully.

    The problem was the unfolding

  18. #18
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datako View Post
    Mixtes fold too. Many years ago my sons rode my wife's mixte into a wall (both were on it) and it folded beautifully.

    The problem was the unfolding


    Well, now you've given me an excuse. Mixtes fold!
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

  19. #19
    I... Don't care. nekohime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now I've *finally* gotten the mixte all set up. I got it last week but I had no time to actually assemble it until today. Only things left to do before I can ride it are inflate tires and then adjust the brakes. The pump at home isn't working and the other one is in my mum's car.

    Voila



    Alicestrong's bike (Dahon Stowaway) meets the mixte:



    Teh bf meets the mixte:



    I'll take pics of it in the wild and post to the CV forum when I get the pump. *waits impatiently for mum to get home*
    Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •