Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-09, 09:31 PM   #1
14R
Bromptonaut
Thread Starter
 
14R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Florida - USA
Bikes: 2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
Posts: 1,669
2007 Brompton S6E - Help appraising

Due to a slightly new career change, I am going to stay without traveling for a little while, so I am considering letting my Brompton go. Since I have been out of the loop for a long while (I know, nobody missed me), I was wondering, how much are S6 Bromptons going for? Mine is Raw Lacquer by the way.

Thank you for any information.
14R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 06:02 AM   #2
rmilne_uk
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Have a loom on www.ebay.co.uk and if necessary follow it for a while.
rmilne_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 06:18 AM   #3
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,353
I'd say 80% of the original purchase price on average excluding the extra paid for the raw lacquer. This might add a bit extra if you take good photos and emphasise its a special finish for any eBay or advert listing.

Bromptons always have excellent resale value and yours is a more recent model within the last 2 years which always helps.
mulleady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 09:19 AM   #4
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
Posts: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
I'd say 80% of the original purchase price on average excluding the extra paid for the raw lacquer. This might add a bit extra if you take good photos and emphasise its a special finish for any eBay or advert listing.

Bromptons always have excellent resale value and yours is a more recent model within the last 2 years which always helps.
Generally, I find that premium options don't usually get a very good return relative to the rest of the bike.

I agree with the earlier post that checking out EBay for selling prices -- note that UK prices might be somewhat different than US prices -- is a good idea.
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 09:51 AM   #5
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation
 
SesameCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
Posts: 3,850
Are you sure you don't want to wait until the economy picks up a bit? Everything is selling slow nowadays. CL listings are up by 20, 30 percent because people need to sell things...
__________________
SesameCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 01:48 AM   #6
PDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cheshire, North West England, UK
Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
Posts: 559
Unless you are desperate for the money, I’d suggest keeping the Brompton as it costs nothing and takes up minimal space. You don’t know what your circumstances might be in a few years time.... you may find your folder to be really useful again.
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 08:14 AM   #7
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdr View Post
unless you are desperate for the money, i’d suggest keeping the brompton as it costs nothing and takes up minimal space. You don’t know what your circumstances might be in a few years time.... You may find your folder to be really useful again.
+1
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 11:18 PM   #8
14R
Bromptonaut
Thread Starter
 
14R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Florida - USA
Bikes: 2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
Posts: 1,669
Yep, you guys are correct, I will keep the Brompton. It is by far my favorite bike, no logical reason to sell it at this point in life.

Thank you for the feedback.
14R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 01:34 PM   #9
14R
Bromptonaut
Thread Starter
 
14R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Florida - USA
Bikes: 2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
Posts: 1,669
Quick Update: had to let it go. It's on E-Bay (USA) now, I look forward to buy another Brompton when the dynamics of my work change and I can afford another raw Lacquer. I might go after something very similar to what I currently have, but I need aprox US$900.00 to get some career related training within the next 30 days...
14R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 02:22 PM   #10
Folder4life
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NEW YORK
Bikes: Brompton Custom Built
Posts: 202
What a nice lookin bike. You should be able to make $900 easily. Good luck with the auction! and good luck with your career.
Folder4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 03:35 PM   #11
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation
 
SesameCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
Posts: 3,850
Sorry to hear that you have to part with this sweet bike. Are you all done with folders now?

Looks like there's a lot of interest. Hope you get a good price on it.
__________________
SesameCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 11:35 PM   #12
14R
Bromptonaut
Thread Starter
 
14R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Florida - USA
Bikes: 2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch View Post
Sorry to hear that you have to part with this sweet bike. Are you all done with folders now?

Looks like there's a lot of interest. Hope you get a good price on it.
I'm far from done with folders. Giant halfway, halfway RS, downtube NS, FS, Mini, Merc, Super Merc, Dahon Curve and finally my first Brompton (the black one). I look forward to my next folder, 100% sure it will be a Brompton S-type, with one, three, eight or fourteen speed (yes, Rohloff one day). It will be planned for speed, most likely an S8E. Raw Lacquer? Maybe...maybe the new 2010 finish colors, not sure yet. Any suggestions?
14R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 03:09 AM   #13
PDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cheshire, North West England, UK
Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
Posts: 559
It was your bike that inspired me to get the raw lacquer finish for my Brompton.

I have been following your e-bay auction and reading your comments in response to questions....
“The Ti model is not available as a raw lacquer finish”
Hmmm, I think you’re wrong there:


Photos show my 2009 B-Spoke raw lacquer titanium 2-speed S-type.

Good luck with the sale.
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 04:58 AM   #14
gringo_gus
Senior Member
 
gringo_gus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW England
Bikes: SL2-X; DT mini; Joey Sport
Posts: 611
hi PDR, I see you decided to keep the original saddle (you wer talking of a brooks) and stick with 2 speed, is that right?
gringo_gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 09:11 AM   #15
PDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cheshire, North West England, UK
Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo_gus View Post
hi PDR, I see you decided to keep the original saddle (you wer talking of a brooks) and stick with 2 speed, is that right?
My father recently acquired two Brook saddles and he has given me one to fit on my 63’ Moulton.... if I like it as much as I hope I will, I’ll buy a Brooks titanium for my Brompton.

Regarding the gearing, I am going to leave it as it is. On a normal day I have a mile either end of my train journey. It is when the trains break down that the Brompton really proves useful as I then have to ride anything up to 11 miles. Last timne this happened I was very surprised when I timed myself on the Brompton (56” + 74” gears) against my old Dahon MU SL (31” – 91” gear range) to find my times where virtually identical.

I am awaiting delivery of a new bike that I will use for fast weekend/pleasure rides rather than commuting

I will post some photos of the new road rocket and reveal what it is once it arrives
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 01:40 PM   #16
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14R View Post
Quick Update: had to let it go. It's on E-Bay (USA) now, I look forward to buy another Brompton when the dynamics of my work change and I can afford another raw Lacquer. I might go after something very similar to what I currently have, but I need aprox US$900.00 to get some career related training within the next 30 days...
I am not as confident as you are when it comes to getting another bike. I am hanging on all my folding bikes-especially my Brompton-until things improve on all fronts for the simple reason I cannot afford to buy another one, even used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14R View Post
I'm far from done with folders. Giant halfway, halfway RS, downtube NS, FS, Mini, Merc, Super Merc, Dahon Curve and finally my first Brompton (the black one). I look forward to my next folder, 100% sure it will be a Brompton S-type, with one, three, eight or fourteen speed (yes, Rohloff one day). It will be planned for speed, most likely an S8E. Raw Lacquer? Maybe...maybe the new 2010 finish colors, not sure yet. Any suggestions?
A S8E in Raw Lacquer? A great start in going for a good number of usable gearing with a minimalist direction. Purchasing what only you need upfront will focus on staying on budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post

Regarding the gearing, I am going to leave it as it is. On a normal day I have a mile either end of my train journey. It is when the trains break down that the Brompton really proves useful as I then have to ride anything up to 11 miles. Last timne this happened I was very surprised when I timed myself on the Brompton (56” + 74” gears) against my old Dahon MU SL (31” – 91” gear range) to find my times where virtually identical.
All my folders are generally used for short distances only. In an emergency, I do expect and have already done so traveled on all of them (even the simple Brompton) in hilly terrain up to 20 miles one way. I have experienced no problem with the bike's performance and my endurance. Each bike was selected for times such as this. That is why I will not part with them for any reason especially now with the economy as it is.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 11:44 PM   #17
14R
Bromptonaut
Thread Starter
 
14R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central Florida - USA
Bikes: 2012 Brompton S6R; 2003 Litespeed Firenze; 1994 Diamond BAck Axis TT
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
It was your bike that inspired me to get the raw lacquer finish for my Brompton.

I have been following your e-bay auction and reading your comments in response to questions....
“The Ti model is not available as a raw lacquer finish”
Hmmm, I think you’re wrong there:
That's OK. I was trying to say that the Ti parts are not available with the golden brazed parts. Very nice bike by the way, congratulations! As soon as I can't lose 2 pounds off of my body, I'll go Ti for sure!
14R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 02:02 AM   #18
bykerouac
I Fold
 
bykerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 269
Good luck with the sale 14R! The buyer will be very lucky to get his hands on your Brompton, which is one of the iconic bikes on this forum. Good thing you decided to hang on to your Arkel Tailrider, now that's a cool bag.
bykerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 02:09 AM   #19
PDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cheshire, North West England, UK
Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14R View Post
That's OK. I was trying to say that the Ti parts are not available with the golden brazed parts. Very nice bike by the way, congratulations! As soon as I can't lose 2 pounds off of my body, I'll go Ti for sure!
Oh, I understand what you where saying now
Looks as though your Brompton made a good price, well done
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 PM.