Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   my first folder - now what? (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/537106-my-first-folder-now-what.html)

sunburst 05-01-09 08:34 PM

my first folder - now what?
 
Here's my swap-meet treasure from Sunday - a Dahon Getaway V. Can anyone tell me anything about it? The year it was made perhaps. It's got a 5 gears in the back, a single crank, and a single rear hub brake.

I'm going to try to avoid my usual habit of immediately dumping $100-150 into an old bike, for various parts, new tires, tubes, etc. Although I may buy some tires because these are pretty cracked. I'm looking at these (which added together is more than the cost of the bike!): http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pikpg...16_tire/pp.htm

I swapped the brake and shifter locations today, so I can brake with my left hand, and I replaced the brake cable and housing - still not a lot of braking power. Should I disassemble that rear hub? Or is this just a weak setup (like I imagine). But I don't plan on pushing this bike very hard, so I can live with it. It's mainly going to be for very short runs around town.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../2ndpix005.jpg

jur 05-01-09 10:53 PM

Probably late 80s, early 90s. Looks exceptionally good.

If you look at this bike carefully to see how everything folds up, you'll find it's one of the most compact folders, it gives the Brommie a run for its money. I had one very similar and it was easiest the most compact folder I had.

badmother 05-02-09 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 8839479)
Probably late 80s, early 90s. Looks exceptionally good.

If you look at this bike carefully to see how everything folds up, you'll find it's one of the most compact folders, it gives the Brommie a run for its money. I had one very similar and it was easiest the most compact folder I had.

Hmmm.. Guess i must take another look at mine then. i think it is big, heavy, difficult to fold and unfold. I replaced cranks rims and bars to make it lighter. Mine is a 3 speed hub.

sunburst 05-02-09 08:26 PM

When I said "what now?" I was wondering what needs attention. Should I rebuilt the rear brake, add a front, open up the hubs, headset or BB? You know, things like that - general advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmother (Post 8841687)
Hmmm.. Guess i must take another look at mine then. i think it is big, heavy, difficult to fold and unfold. I replaced cranks rims and bars to make it lighter. Mine is a 3 speed hub.

Where did you get your parts?

jur 05-02-09 08:53 PM

For the brakes, take the cables off and squirt in some WD40 and blow clear with a compressor or foot pump. Then put in a few drops of Boeshield T-9. The should revitalise the cables, but if they are rusted internally then new cables with stainless inners will make a big difference.

I don't know how the rear brake works, so can't offer any advice. If it were me, I would open it up and see if it needs cleaning and re-greasing for the bearings, and check the brake mech to see if it could be improved by cleaning etc.

badmother 05-03-09 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst (Post 8843380)
Where did you get your parts?

Locally, from dumpster bikes. Alloy rims from childrens bikes. Alloy cranks from a road bike. Bars bought locally, but could also be from dumpster bike. Put a cheap good saddle bought locally. Should buy folding pedals (or detatchable) if I start using it again. It had a folding crank (heavy steal) before.

Find the bike still heavy, big and clumsy to fold / unfold. Maybe I`we got an attitude problem. May use it tomorrow since I need a folder to go and pick up a car for a friend who needs a driver.

sunburst 05-04-09 02:50 PM

Thx for the ideas. Never thought about kids bikes, but that makes sense! I'm going to check out the hardware store for 16" tires. Ace online had some for $5, but I do like those at biketiresdirect.com.

Yes, my take also, is that it's heavy and a pain to fold, but still, it does fold, and I plan on taking it on trips in the truck of my car. I ride it to the gym also.

badmother 05-04-09 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst (Post 8853746)
Thx for the ideas. Never thought about kids bikes, but that makes sense! I'm going to check out the hardware store for 16" tires. Ace online had some for $5, but I do like those at biketiresdirect.com.

Yes, my take also, is that it's heavy and a pain to fold, but still, it does fold, and I plan on taking it on trips in the truck of my car. I ride it to the gym also.

If this was my only folder- or bike maybe I would have been happy with it but I tend to keep a lot of bikes around so perfectly good bikes end up not being used.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.