Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-09, 04:45 PM   #1
duke_of_hazard
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Peoria, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
detachable rear basket?

I have been using this rear basket for the past two years:

http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-B.../dp/B000BPNK7O

It has bulletproof strength and carries high loads with no problem. But it does add quite a bit of extra weight to the bicycle and I only use it a third of the time I bike. Are there any detachable baskets as equally strong?
duke_of_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 05:52 PM   #2
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rixen and Kaul rear carrier detachable basket plate.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 05:53 PM   #3
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_of_hazard View Post
I have been using this rear basket for the past two years:

http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-B.../dp/B000BPNK7O

It has bulletproof strength and carries high loads with no problem. But it does add quite a bit of extra weight to the bicycle and I only use it a third of the time I bike. Are there any detachable baskets as equally strong?
Somebody (Topeak?) makes a whole line of baskets and racks that have an intergal locking system that allows you to remove it when you don't need it leaving just the rack. The other option might be the soft side open top "shopping panniers" They will hold a standard grocery sack like the folding baskets.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 06:37 PM   #4
havm66z
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is this thread on the Dahon forums. http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php?&showtopic=5780

Example picture
havm66z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:27 AM   #5
Urbanis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reviving this thread--I'm kind of intrigued by getting a rear basket as it can be more versatile than a pannier for throwing stuff into, but for folding, weight, and versatility reasons I don't always want/need it attached to my bike (a Xootr Swift). I have found two general quick-release baskets: Public Rear Basket and the Kettler Rear Bicycle Basket. I ordered the Public basket but unfortunately it doesn't work on my rack (the otherwise excellent Dahon Traveller Rear Rack) because the basket latching mechanism requires the rack platform rails to be parallel whereas mine taper from the rear to the front (i.e., the top platform is more of a wedge than a rectangle).

One solution is to change my rear rack to a rectangular platform design but finding rear racks that work with the Swift can be a challenge--the arms that attach to the seat stays need to have enough space between them for the thick seatpost to pass through when folding. Also, the Dahon rack is a quality rack and an expensive rack; I would be annoyed to have to change it, and I don't want to shell out for a Tubus ($187--yikes!). The TorTec Expedition Alloy Rear Rack has the kind of robust touring design I like but shipping from the UK is absolutely a killer ($47 was one quote)--why does it seem that so many practical commuter accessories are only available in Europe?! For example, I had to order my Ortlieb Shuttle from the UK a few years ago, although it now appears to have US distributors. But perhaps I could settle on a TorTec Ultralite Rear Rack, which is only $24 shipping from the UK.

Topeak has a detachable rear basket but it requires using their proprietary rack and mounting system. The larger point is that I'd rather not change my rack unless absolutely necessary.

So now I'm thinking that perhaps the solution would be to get a Wald wire basket and use two velcro one-wraps to attach it to the top of the rear rack for (reasonably) quick mounting and dismounting. To make it even more versatile, perhaps I could get a folding bicycle basket (normally mounted on the side), so that it could be removed and collapsed when not in use (love this idea). Would velcro straps would be a reasonably secure attachment? Or would using a couple of bungee cords to secure the basket to the rack do the trick?

Thoughts?
Urbanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 12:46 PM   #6
Abneycat
Hooligan
 
Abneycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!
Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Axiom makes baskets that have spring clips and just grab whatever rack you put them on. I personally think they're pretty good. I can confirm that the wire mesh and wicker versions will fit a Dahon Arc rack.

Last edited by Abneycat; 08-31-10 at 12:56 PM.
Abneycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 01:00 PM   #7
Urbanis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Abneycat, thanks for the lead. The Axiom Rear Shopping Basket Pannier might do the trick. Unfortunately, the baskets with the spring clips won't work on my rack because they require a rectangular platform (so both arms of each clip can grip the side rail). My rear rack has a tapered (wedge) shape.
Urbanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 01:55 PM   #8
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanis View Post
Hey Abneycat, thanks for the lead. The Axiom Rear Shopping Basket Pannier might do the trick. Unfortunately, the baskets with the spring clips won't work on my rack because they require a rectangular platform (so both arms of each clip can grip the side rail). My rear rack has a tapered (wedge) shape.
Just get a Brompton much better luggage carrying capacity lol
mulleady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 01:58 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Brompton has a front basket that pops right off, using their frame clip as a mount..

Cordura Fabric and Aluminum . its their lowest cost front bag too..

I got their touring bag instead ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-31-10 at 02:03 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 05:05 PM   #10
Abneycat
Hooligan
 
Abneycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!
Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanis View Post
Hey Abneycat, thanks for the lead. The Axiom Rear Shopping Basket Pannier might do the trick.
If you are into that kind of thing, I would highly recommend checking out the Jandd grocery bag pannier as well. It has the ability to pack down, but it is supported by a strut system and it is nearly as rigid and robust as a wire mesh basket when open. It's a good balance in between having a rigid side basket, and a floppy grocery side bag. That's what i'm currently using, it's worth taking a look at in my opinion.
Abneycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 06:49 PM   #11
fwd-bwd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Urbanis, since you own a Swift, why don't you consider the excellent Xootr CrossRack? There are several advantages:

- Unlike many folding bike racks, it is full-sized.

- As a result, it accepts almost all panniers, shoppers, and baskets (such as the aforementioned Axiom "Bagsket") designed for conventional racks.

- The quick release mechanism allows you to remove the rack when not in use, thus reducing weight.

- Not a proprietary system

- No heel or ground clearance issue

- Better balance due to center load

- Reduced wind resistance (not that I care )

I have it installed on my Strida. If anyone's interested I'll take a few pictures this weekend and post them here.

A similar product that you may consider is Basil BasEasy Carrier Rack. It affords less weight (5kg vs. 10kg) but its proprietary quick release mechanism is more elegant and accepting various Basil baskets and bags.
fwd-bwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:21 PM   #12
Urbanis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi fwd-bwd, thanks for your suggestion. I'm pretty happy with the Dahon Traveller Rear Rack--it is robust and capable, non-proprietary and able to take full-size panniers, and doesn't interfere with the folding mechanism. True, it doesn't have a quick release like the CrossRack; on the other hand, it doesn't hang off the seatpost either.
Urbanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 09:24 AM   #13
BluePlate55
Member
 
BluePlate55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just ordered the rattan detachable rear basket from Eleven81. Here's a picture:

I have the Citizen Bike Barcelona, and I'm hoping that this basket matches the front one that came attached to my bike. I'd never heard of these kinds of rear baskets that clamp onto the rack until I found this thread, so thanks everyone! My main concern is whether it'll clamp on firmly enough. I plan to fill it with a lot of stuff, and as much as I want it to match the look and style of the front basket (which is wonderfully sturdy--almost too sturdy, actually, in that it's a pain to take on and off!), I'll take function over form and return it if it doesn't work. I'll let you know what I think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearBasket..jpg (15.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by BluePlate55; 09-02-10 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling!!
BluePlate55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 04:03 PM   #14
Urbanis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thread update: I got a Wald 582 folding rear bicycle basket which attaches quickly and easily via bungee cord to the top of my rear rack. The nice thing is, I can take it off and fold it up when not using it. I haven't tested it loaded on the road yet, but I spotted a woman today with a milk crate bungeed to her folding bike's rear rack. It was loaded with groceries. I asked her about it and she said it was a great cargo solution for her--she hasn't had any problems with slippage. So I'm optimistic this approach will work.
Urbanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 06:42 AM   #15
BikeKraft
BikingYupik
 
BikeKraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland Or
Bikes:
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePlate55 View Post
I just ordered the rattan detachable rear basket from Eleven81. Here's a picture:

I have the Citizen Bike Barcelona, and I'm hoping that this basket matches the front one that came attached to my bike. I'd never heard of these kinds of rear baskets that clamp onto the rack until I found this thread, so thanks everyone! My main concern is whether it'll clamp on firmly enough. I plan to fill it with a lot of stuff, and as much as I want it to match the look and style of the front basket (which is wonderfully sturdy--almost too sturdy, actually, in that it's a pain to take on and off!), I'll take function over form and return it if it doesn't work. I'll let you know what I think!

Picture please when you get it!
BikeKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 10:03 AM   #16
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My wife wanted a detachable rear basket and we have been through 2 systems. First one was Pletscher involving a proprietary rack, a basket plate and a hefty price. In critical situations, with load in the basket, the basket would detach itself from the rack and fly off with the load. In addition, the locking spring would deform and cease to lock no matter what the circumstances. At late stages of this system, my wife used a bungee cord as mentioned in other posts. Thereafter we have gone with this Basil basket:



The basket has a grip at the bottom that grabs the rack from two sides. There is even a plastic key for the grip. This one works OK. I believe that Basil has several baskets that come with this particular grip and they may also have some variations of the grip itself.
2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 02:57 PM   #17
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanis View Post
Hey Abneycat, thanks for the lead. The Axiom Rear Shopping Basket Pannier[/URL] might do the trick. Unfortunately, the baskets with the spring clips won't work on my rack because they require a rectangular platform (so both arms of each clip can grip the side rail). My rear rack has a tapered (wedge) shape.
I am getting the feeling that you don't want to change your rack. I agree that it is usually better (and cheaper) if you stick with the one that it came with the bike or a basic one from a LBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Brompton has a front basket that pops right off, using their frame clip as a mount..

Cordura Fabric and Aluminum . its their lowest cost front bag too..

I got their touring bag instead ..
I have a Brompton too. I really like their QR system with a luggage block and a nice selection of bags to go with it. I find it so handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanis View Post
Hi fwd-bwd, thanks for your suggestion. I'm pretty happy with the Dahon Traveller Rear Rack--it is robust and capable, non-proprietary and able to take full-size panniers, and doesn't interfere with the folding mechanism. True, it doesn't have a quick release like the CrossRack; on the other hand, it doesn't hang off the seatpost either.....So now I'm thinking that perhaps the solution would be to get a Wald wire basket and use two velcro one-wraps to attach it to the top of the rear rack for (reasonably) quick mounting and dismounting. To make it even more versatile, perhaps I could get a folding bicycle basket (normally mounted on the side), so that it could be removed and collapsed when not in use (love this idea). Would velcro straps would be a reasonably secure attachment? Or would using a couple of bungee cords to secure the basket to the rack do the trick?

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanis View Post
Thread update: I got a Wald 582 folding rear bicycle basket which attaches quickly and easily via bungee cord to the top of my rear rack. The nice thing is, I can take it off and fold it up when not using it. I haven't tested it loaded on the road yet, but I spotted a woman today with a milk crate bungeed to her folding bike's rear rack. It was loaded with groceries. I asked her about it and she said it was a great cargo solution for her--she hasn't had any problems with slippage. So I'm optimistic this approach will work.
As far as your ideas for a Velcro strap to secure your new basket, that is a very good idea. Providing that your straps are not too loose, they will secure very well if completely pressed together, release or tie up faster than bungee cords, plus have the option to be washable if you use the "Sew In" Velcro ones along with a washable Webbing for the strap(s) (all available at a good fabric store). If you don't want to sew it yourself for any reason, you can have a local tailor or seamstress quickly sew it up for you for little cost.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 09-22-10 at 03:09 PM.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 03:29 PM   #18
BluePlate55
Member
 
BluePlate55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeKraft View Post
Picture please when you get it!


Here it is, attached to the back rack! It's a bit darker than it looked in the picture online, so it's not an exact match with the front basket that came attached, but the material and the weave are very similar, so I feel like the overall look works.

The clamp is quite solid, though the basket does have some movement. It came with a velcro strap so that I could add additional support, and while it increases the on/off time, I'm using it so far.

No complaints yet! It holds my tote bags perfectly. I could see getting a mesh bungee to go over it, though. The single strap I have holds a bag down, but likely wouldn't help with a whole basket of stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearbasket(2)..jpg (99.4 KB, 24 views)
BluePlate55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 10:23 PM   #19
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Klick fix has a seat post bracket, so you can mount one of their handlebar baskets onto the back with that set.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 01:22 AM   #20
Urbanis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
I am getting the feeling that you don't want to change your rack. I agree that it is usually better (and cheaper) if you stick with the one that it came with the bike or a basic one from a LBS.
Hey Folder Fanatic, yes, it's true I don't want to change my rear rack (which I acquired separately from the bike). Partly out of inertia, partly because I paid a pretty penny for it ($80), and mostly because I think it is robust and really well designed for my needs. For example, it has a lower set of rails beneath the platform on which I can attach my u-lock, so that the platform remains clear for other items. I also like the integrated rear light mounting plate. Also, it works very well with my Xootr Swift, and the bike's design is such that not all rear racks play nicely with it, because there needs to be sufficient room between the rack arms (that attach to the rear stays) so that the thick seatpost can fit between them in the folded position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
As far as your ideas for a Velcro strap to secure your new basket, that is a very good idea. Providing that your straps are not too loose, they will secure very well if completely pressed together, release or tie up faster than bungee cords, plus have the option to be washable if you use the "Sew In" Velcro ones along with a washable Webbing for the strap(s) (all available at a good fabric store). If you don't want to sew it yourself for any reason, you can have a local tailor or seamstress quickly sew it up for you for little cost.
Hm, great suggestion! I tried using the velcro straps to wrap them around the basket and rack, which was not a tight fit. It didn't occur to me to try pressing them together instead. The bungee solution seemed satisfactory, but I'll try this approach to see if it works better.
Urbanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 AM.