Just returned from a 4 month tour in SE Asia, which can be read about on my blog in my signature , and have decided that I have no desire to travel with a full size bike ever again.
I'm sold on the folder but there are still a few things that I find necessary that perhaps you could review and tell me if there is a folder out there that would suit me. Here is my laundry list of criteria:
- Accomodates wide tires
- Has wheels in a size where tubes and tires are available worldwide
- Has mounting points for racks
- Relatively long wheelbase
- Can possibly accomodate "north road" style bars (Dont know about this one)
- Double chainring up front with "normal" chainring and bail out ring for serious hills, 9 speed in the back (This is more of a thinking out loud item really, I'd add this custom setup to any bike I ended up getting)
Also, doing some reading, it seems that its encouraged to load the front of a folder more than the rear for stability. On my last bike I ran rear panniers but not front. Would that be a problem on a folder? If so, could I get away with running only fronts?
Thanks in advance for your help