Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-09, 06:59 PM   #1
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
buying sight unseen....not easy

Hi, This first post is in desperation in trying to deside which folder to buy....within limits. I just sold a Electra Townie 7 speed (Nexus hub), which was a nice bike but turned out to big of a bike for my 5'7" frame.
Been decades between bikes and looking to get a folder, thinking it would be easier to handle.
Being 61 and have bad arthritis, I need exercise on my good days but not to cause a lot of stress on the joints.
That said, it's just not worth it to spend big bucks. Lets say under $500. Can is my limit, but less is better.
The Downtube line is out once the exchange rate and shipping are added. The Dahon line is limited up here
lowest is the Speed D7 is $575. plus tax....bummer.
Miele RX-20 is $399, but seems like a bike building sideline, they make washers, etc.
In short there are just to many makers to make a educated decision from the web and shops are to far away.....no car.
Would like 3 speeds or more, 20" tires, able to fold and in one piece...means don't have to take it apart to fold it down.
Thanks for any advice,
John
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 07:13 PM   #2
itsajustme
Banned.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
500 CAD or USD?

Downtube 8H is $389+$80 shipping to Canada and would be perfect.
itsajustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 07:14 PM   #3
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check Craigslist where you live for a decent folder. In Toronto http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1165000913.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1137033369.html
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 07:38 PM   #4
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Limit is $500. Canadian dollars, so most bikes out of U.S. is beyond my limit. With a disability pension to live on saving for more of a bike is very hard to do.
Might have to look for a used one.

Thanks.
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 09:57 PM   #5
HGR3inOK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here are a couple:

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/bik/1135206816.html

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/bik/1112636385.html
HGR3inOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 11:13 PM   #6
puppypilgrim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buy a Schwinn Tango from Canadiantire.ca and spend $65 to get it tuned up at a local bike store.
http://tinyurl.com/q2e86o
puppypilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 03:29 AM   #7
DLW
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Xiamen, China
Bikes: Santana tandem, Dahon Speed Pro, Dahon Mu SL, Dahon P8
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Options

John,

Your budget limits your options, but there's hope.

Consider a Dahon P8; it mght fill your needs.

What and where is your arthritis?

We're the same age. My arthritis is primarily in my thumbs/wrists, but ergonomic bar ends make a huge difference. Flat bars are painful, but moving
to bar ends relieves significant stress. Takes some time to get used to them, since hands there mean a movement to brakes and shifter.

For what it's worth...
DLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 06:28 AM   #8
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, nice links thanks. I'm emailing Toronto ad for pics. If in good shape it's a deal.

John
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 06:31 AM   #9
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypilgrim View Post
Buy a Schwinn Tango from Canadiantire.ca and spend $65 to get it tuned up at a local bike store.
http://tinyurl.com/q2e86o
Thanks, and Yes I even thought of those but don't like welded handlebars.
Safety issue...if weld breaks it would not be pretty.
John
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 06:44 AM   #10
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW View Post
John,

Your budget limits your options, but there's hope.

Consider a Dahon P8; it mght fill your needs.

What and where is your arthritis?

We're the same age. My arthritis is primarily in my thumbs/wrists, but ergonomic bar ends make a huge difference. Flat bars are painful, but moving
to bar ends relieves significant stress. Takes some time to get used to them, since hands there mean a movement to brakes and shifter.

For what it's worth...
Here a P8 is about $1,000....Rheumatoid arthritis and in all joints. One reason for the bike....keep moving.
Whatever bike I get I'll revise the bars and maybe seat for my ergonomics.
Thanks, John
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 10:39 AM   #11
HGR3inOK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merky View Post
Here a P8 is about $1,000....Rheumatoid arthritis and in all joints. One reason for the bike....keep moving.
Whatever bike I get I'll revise the bars and maybe seat for my ergonomics.
Thanks, John
Sounds like we have some of the same issues. I'm 58, 5'7", 155 lbs. with back, neck and shoulder issues. I need a fairly upright riding position. None of the Dahon dealers in my area carry any bikes in stock. The only "Dahon-design" bikes that I was able to diddle with were the low-end models at Camping World. You probably want to avoid the Dahons and similar bikes with a single-piece handlepost/handle bar.

I found a very nice 2004 Speed P8 on Craigslist for less than US$300. I have had it for a week, and I am very pleased with it. I have ridden it more in the past week than I have ridden the bike it is replacing in the past 10 months. I may swap out the handlebars to bring the grips a little closer. I plan to wait 30 days before making any changes.

Have you checked www.thorusa.com? I think he can ship to Canada. You might be able to get a new Dahon Eco D7 within your budget.
HGR3inOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 07:56 PM   #12
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK View Post
Sounds like we have some of the same issues. I'm 58, 5'7", 155 lbs. with back, neck and shoulder issues. I need a fairly upright riding position. None of the Dahon dealers in my area carry any bikes in stock. The only "Dahon-design" bikes that I was able to diddle with were the low-end models at Camping World. You probably want to avoid the Dahons and similar bikes with a single-piece handlepost/handle bar.

I found a very nice 2004 Speed P8 on Craigslist for less than US$300. I have had it for a week, and I am very pleased with it. I have ridden it more in the past week than I have ridden the bike it is replacing in the past 10 months. I may swap out the handlebars to bring the grips a little closer. I plan to wait 30 days before making any changes.

Have you checked www.thorusa.com? I think he can ship to Canada. You might be able to get a new Dahon Eco D7 within your budget.
Congrats on your Speed P8 find...I bet it's a lot of fun.
Thanks for the link to thorusa, I'll email them and ask about shipping to me and see what answers I'll get.
I'm going to the same with Downtube, they are close in price on their cheeper models.
I really like the front and rear suspension so my joints don't feel the bumps in the road as much.
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 09:04 PM   #13
ChainlessRev
JustFoldIt
 
ChainlessRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dahon on craigslist

Merky, Have you seen this posting from craigslist?

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1169041530.html

I wonder if the pannier & rear rack is included.

Bike + accessories look like in decent condition & not a bad price.

No suspension though.
ChainlessRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 09:30 PM   #14
ChainlessRev
JustFoldIt
 
ChainlessRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ingenious theory: Fight arthritis with belt drive

Forgot to pose a question that I've been thinking on & off (esp during those "spaced out" moments waiting for the bus or taking shower...you get the idea) and the mention of RA in this posting reminded me of it.

Anyways, do you think there's some type of benefit for people with RA or other joint challenges to ride on a bike with a belt drive versus a conventional chain drive train?

Initially I thought the answer was an obvious "NO" but as I thought more about it, I could be on to something...even if it's a small difference. My theory is that there is less shock to the knee when riding a bike with a belt drive drive train because of the shock that belt can absorb. Won't be significant but who knows - over many miles of riding, it can add up, right??

=D
ChainlessRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 09:53 PM   #15
HGR3inOK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merky View Post
...I really like the front and rear suspension so my joints don't feel the bumps in the road as much.
Merky - My understanding is that a set of Schwalbe Big Apples can noticeably soften the ride on a 20" Dahon. You might check the Aviners to see what tires they have. The Schwalbe Marathon Slicks on my Speed P8 ride okay at 75 psi. But I expect I'll probably switch to Big Apples at some point.
HGR3inOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 10:54 PM   #16
puppypilgrim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Schwalbe Big Apples tires as really comfortable and fast too. Highly recommended.
puppypilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 07:15 AM   #17
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainlessRev View Post
Forgot to pose a question that I've been thinking on & off (esp during those "spaced out" moments waiting for the bus or taking shower...you get the idea) and the mention of RA in this posting reminded me of it.

Anyways, do you think there's some type of benefit for people with RA or other joint challenges to ride on a bike with a belt drive versus a conventional chain drive train?

Initially I thought the answer was an obvious "NO" but as I thought more about it, I could be on to something...even if it's a small difference. My theory is that there is less shock to the knee when riding a bike with a belt drive drive train because of the shock that belt can absorb. Won't be significant but who knows - over many miles of riding, it can add up, right??

=D
BTW, CR thanks for the link.....emailed owner but has not returned email....yet.
The thing about RA is that it's the worst type of arthritis, it can and will put you in a wheel chair if you give in to the pain and don't keep moving. Morphine pills helps...
To answer your question, a belt drive from what I've seen in my searching is one speed and that could be a problem coming to a hill and working the knee's harder put's strain on the joints.That's why I'm looking for different speeds, weather cogs or a internal hub.
I had a Nexus 7 speed in one bike and that was sweet. No chain jumping off, just smooth shifting.
see ya
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 07:44 AM   #18
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK View Post
Merky - My understanding is that a set of Schwalbe Big Apples can noticeably soften the ride on a 20" Dahon. You might check the Aviners to see what tires they have. The Schwalbe Marathon Slicks on my Speed P8 ride okay at 75 psi. But I expect I'll probably switch to Big Apples at some point.
The spec's say only...."Smooth Thread 20X2.0",....so don't know the brand. I could email them again and ask.
check this link for Big Apple specs......

http://bigapplebikes.com/gbl/en/bicy...bPoint=On+Tour

see ya
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 09:06 PM   #19
ChainlessRev
JustFoldIt
 
ChainlessRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merky View Post
BTW, CR thanks for the link.....emailed owner but has not returned email....yet.
The thing about RA is that it's the worst type of arthritis, it can and will put you in a wheel chair if you give in to the pain and don't keep moving. Morphine pills helps...
To answer your question, a belt drive from what I've seen in my searching is one speed and that could be a problem coming to a hill and working the knee's harder put's strain on the joints.That's why I'm looking for different speeds, weather cogs or a internal hub.
I had a Nexus 7 speed in one bike and that was sweet. No chain jumping off, just smooth shifting.
see ya
Ah RA sucks! My aunt (and maybe my mom too - hereditary) is starting to getting some signs of RA - too early to say but can tell she's very uncomfy.

Thx to internal hubs, belt drive bikes now have more than one speed. Ixi (www.ixibike.com) and our Abio (www.abiobikes.com) have 4 speed Nexus.

Keep us posted what you end up getting!
ChainlessRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 01:49 AM   #20
pibach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK View Post
You probably want to avoid the Dahons and similar bikes with a single-piece handlepost/handle bar.
Geometry of the Dahon bikes is already quite upright (much too upright for me anyway). The single piece posts have the advantage to be stiffer. You can easily change out the handlebar for some comfort bar you like, e.g., something like this:
pibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 07:02 AM   #21
merky
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainlessRev View Post
Ah RA sucks! My aunt (and maybe my mom too - hereditary) is starting to getting some signs of RA - too early to say but can tell she's very uncomfy.

Thx to internal hubs, belt drive bikes now have more than one speed. Ixi (www.ixibike.com) and our Abio (www.abiobikes.com) have 4 speed Nexus.

Keep us posted what you end up getting!
Well RA can hit you at any age,.... even kids. Part of it also is that you always feel tired. In short it sucks big time.
Anyway, AAAAAh, I didn't think of belt drives and internal hubs....dummy me. It's logical that a bike set up like that would shift very smooth, I've searched out so many bikes it's mind blowing....and that's just folders.
merky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:33 AM   #22
HGR3inOK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibach View Post
Geometry of the Dahon bikes is already quite upright (much too upright for me anyway). The single piece posts have the advantage to be stiffer. You can easily change out the handlebar for some comfort bar you like, e.g., something like this:
To clarify - The single-piece handlepost/handle bar to which I was referring has the handlebar welded to the handlepost. Many (but not all) Dahon Boardwalk models have this design. (picture copied from www.gaerlan.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dhnstem1.jpg (40.4 KB, 1 views)
HGR3inOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.