Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-09, 06:51 AM   #1
kyoeung
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do anybody have ordered One-way tikit?

In every forum nor blog, I haven't seen any One-way tikit user. So, anybody knows about One-way tikit?

ex) dropout, hub size, comparison with T model Tikit etc.
kyoeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 12:47 PM   #2
mup24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have one on order. It should be here next week and I will be sure to post a review about it once I get a chance to ride it a fair bit. It's been a real pleasnat experience working with Bike Friday during the ordering process. If you want more information check out these links:

http://bikefridaywalter.wordpress.co...wners/bfffffg/

http://bikefridaywalter.wordpress.co...ikit-dropouts/

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/tag/fixed-gear/

Have fun,
Johh
mup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 01:32 PM   #3
vik 
cyclopath
 
vik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
Posts: 5,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Walter has a fixed gear Tikit...
__________________
safe riding - Vik
VikApproved
vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 08:36 PM   #4
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger
 
ChiapasFixed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the Seasons Tikit is pretty much the same as the One-Way Tikit, except for the rear hub, of course. But in therms of hub spacing, frame, sizing, componentry options, its the same bike.
You can easily convert one to the other by simply changing out the rear wheel.
ChiapasFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 11:06 PM   #5
feijai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It's not a "Seasons tikit". Where did this meme come from? Keeps showing up.

It's a Season tikit. As in "I got season tickets to the Yankees."
feijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:05 AM   #6
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger
 
ChiapasFixed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai View Post
It's not a "Seasons tikit". Where did this meme come from? Keeps showing up.

It's a Season tikit. As in "I got season tickets to the Yankees."
hmm, but also as in "the 4 seasons", yes? Implying it can be ridden in all sorts of weather.
ChiapasFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:09 AM   #7
feijai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed View Post
hmm, but also as in "the 4 seasons", yes? Implying it can be ridden in all sorts of weather.
Nearly all the tikits have pun names based on the word "ticket". One-way Tikit, Tikit2Ride, Season Tikit, Speeding Tikit, Just the tikit, Express tikit.

"Seasons Tikit" makes no sense. It's Season Tikit.
feijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:26 AM   #8
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger
 
ChiapasFixed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai View Post
Nearly all the tikits have pun names based on the word "ticket". One-way Tikit, Tikit2Ride, Season Tikit, Speeding Tikit, Just the tikit, Express tikit.

"Seasons Tikit" makes no sense. It's Season Tikit.
hmm, you really seem to feel strongly about this. do you mind if i call mine the "all seasons Tikit"?
ChiapasFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 07:51 AM   #9
feijai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed View Post
hmm, you really seem to feel strongly about this. do you mind if i call mine the "all seasons Tikit"?
You mean as in "all-season tires"? No s there either, sorry. :-)

No, what I'm mostly weirded out about is that Bike Friday named it the Season Tikit. After the notion of a season ticket. They even put "season tikit" on the side of the bike. But for some reason Vik and yourself, and perhaps a few others, have been calling it a Seasons tikit, which is a bit nonsensical. Doing so intentionally is perfectly fine. But I suspected it was in error.

Heh, we've had five postings now on this absurd topic! :-)
feijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 09:24 PM   #10
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger
 
ChiapasFixed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually call mine the UGADA Steampunk Tikit, and am ordering a fixed gear disk brake hub from surly to build up an extra rear wheel so I can easlily change it to a fixie for around-town riding, and change it back to its touring configuration by just swapping out the rear wheel
ok, im of to listen to some Vivaldi now. My favourite: The 4 Season!
ChiapasFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 05:40 AM   #11
dmnobrien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wellington, NZ
Bikes: Rans Rocket recumbent, Dahon Mu P8
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So when it's folded up, it's a "parking tikit"?
dmnobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 11:58 AM   #12
mup24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed View Post
I actually call mine the UGADA Steampunk Tikit, and am ordering a fixed gear disk brake hub from surly to build up an extra rear wheel so I can easlily change it to a fixie for around-town riding, and change it back to its touring configuration by just swapping out the rear wheel
ok, im of to listen to some Vivaldi now. My favourite: The 4 Season!
That sounds really cool. I am interested to see your setup with that. I ordered a fixed gear Tikit to ride around town (Seattle) now with the idea I can add on a Nexus (or Rohloff or...) later if I want that configuration for touring or just a change to the riding style of the bike. The configurable dropouts that come on the custom Tikits are a really good design choice by BF.
mup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 12:01 PM   #13
pasopia
Senior Member
 
pasopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about getting one of these myself. Seems like it would make a great lightweight folder for commuting.

My only concern is stem flex. I tend to stand and ride a lot when riding fixed, to power up hills and to start the bike up from a stop. My experience with folders in the past is that they are a bit wobbly when standing, and stem flex can be a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I may just try out the one way, and if I don't like it get a alfine wheel in the back.
pasopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 01:22 PM   #14
mup24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasopia View Post
I've been thinking about getting one of these myself. Seems like it would make a great lightweight folder for commuting.

My only concern is stem flex. I tend to stand and ride a lot when riding fixed, to power up hills and to start the bike up from a stop. My experience with folders in the past is that they are a bit wobbly when standing, and stem flex can be a problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I may just try out the one way, and if I don't like it get a alfine wheel in the back.
Stem flex was a concern of mine, too, on a fixed gear Tikit. I did try out the stock Model T in size large and put it through a little bit of stress testing and felt the stem flex was a non-issue. The gearing on my One-way is slightly lower at 66 inches than my other fixed gear bike so I think I will be fine for all but extreme situations.

My One-way arrives at the shop tomorrow and I hope be riding it tomorrow or Thursday and I will report back on my experiences.
mup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 06:37 PM   #15
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger
 
ChiapasFixed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mup24: You can see my bike here. I have not built the fixed rear wheel yet, but will be ordering my fixed/disk brake hub fro Surly soon.
ChiapasFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-09, 06:49 PM   #16
pasopia
Senior Member
 
pasopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
My One-way arrives at the shop tomorrow and I hope be riding it tomorrow or Thursday and I will report back on my experiences.
Looking forward to it!
pasopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 01:53 PM   #17
mup24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed View Post
mup24: You can see my bike here. I have not built the fixed rear wheel yet, but will be ordering my fixed/disk brake hub fro Surly soon.
ChiapasFixed - your bike is part of what sold me on ordering a Tikit. Vik's blog also helped out a lot, too.

Anyway, I got the bike last night. I've only ridden it about 10 miles so I plan on putting some good miles this week and writing a full initial impressions review on it. I can say flex is definitely not an issue. Heck, my first thought about flex was this thing seems so robust I should just take off the brakes and throw on some track bars and head to the velodrome with it.
mup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 04:24 PM   #18
pasopia
Senior Member
 
pasopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good to hear! What was the turn around time on your order with BF?
pasopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 11:13 PM   #19
pasopia
Senior Member
 
pasopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bump

Hey mup24, how do you like the tikit so far?
pasopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 01:49 PM   #20
mup24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, I really mean to write a full review of my fixed gear One-way Tikit. In short, I love this thing. I have well over 300 miles on it so far. I have done the 40-mile hilly roundtrip commute to work five times so far and I love it. I have also taken it grocery shopping and to numerous restaurants. It is really awesome having this bike and I honestly do not feel there is anything it cannot do. I am also convinced that wheel size alone has nothing to do with how a bike rides and what it can and cannot do.

I also have to wheel it around all day at work since I do not have an assigned work space in my building. That's not a problem even with the new brace and it makes for a great conversation starter.

I will write a full review shortly.
mup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 09:31 AM   #21
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter
 
jdmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Bikes: Trek Soho S
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mup24, what gearing did you go with on your one-way?
__________________
Blogging My Ride to Work
Soho S (not fully current)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitN View Post
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
jdmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 09:36 AM   #22
pasopia
Senior Member
 
pasopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mup24 View Post
Sorry, I really mean to write a full review of my fixed gear One-way Tikit. In short, I love this thing. I have well over 300 miles on it so far. I have done the 40-mile hilly roundtrip commute to work five times so far and I love it. I have also taken it grocery shopping and to numerous restaurants. It is really awesome having this bike and I honestly do not feel there is anything it cannot do. I am also convinced that wheel size alone has nothing to do with how a bike rides and what it can and cannot do.

I also have to wheel it around all day at work since I do not have an assigned work space in my building. That's not a problem even with the new brace and it makes for a great conversation starter.

I will write a full review shortly.
Thanks, glad to hear you are liking the bike.
pasopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 02:22 PM   #23
mup24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks pasopia. jdmitch, I am running a 53x13 on the bike which translates to a ~66" gear. I live in Seattle and I find it's an ideal gear for me. My other fixie has a ~71" gear and I am glad I geared down for the hills around here.
mup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 06:41 PM   #24
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger
 
ChiapasFixed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so mup, howzabout some pics of the ride, eh?
ChiapasFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.