To my fellow folderitis victims, please help me find information on this bike. Iíve tried searching all over the net, but no information so far.
Itís a Norco Marina Del Ray. 20Ē wheels, 5 speed shimano SIS, 4130 chromo (yeah baby!). It weighs around 27-28lbs stock.
Iíve only ridden less than 2km on it, but hereís some interesting things Iíve noted about the bike:
1) SUICIDE STEM: The stem is attached by quick release to the steerer tube of fork (top of tube is thinner in diameter and slightly grooved).
2) FOLDS ALONG SEAT TUBE: Iíve actually seen another one of these last year. It was parked in a mall (old rust bucket). At that time, I didnít think it was a folder, since I couldnít find the seams. But like other folders, you take the seatpost completely off, to unlock it. It folds along the axis of the seat tube, just to the front of the bottom bracket.
3) 152mm, CRANK ARMS, 36T ring: At first I thought they were made out of rubber, but its steel with rubber covering.
4) CANTILEVERS: I donít know many folders that uses cantilever brakes.
5) RUBBER RAILED SEAT: I was going to swap in my saddle, but it doesnít have the normal round rails. The selle royal seats have hard rubber, rectangular rails (around half inch in width).
6)QUICK RELEASE: For something that seems to be so old, it has quick release wheels.
I really liked the bike as soon as I saw it. Itís a bike you would end up with, if you melded a small MTB, BMX and an R20 together. An interesting Franken-folder-bike!?
I only went there to buy one of them, but liked them enough to buy both.
Hereís a list of future mods:
XT brakes, Big Apples, crank and ring from DT FS, maybe the DT FS wheels and hubs (though it seems the hub size is 130mm??), maybe a triple chain ring and front derraileur, 7 speed freewheel with matching derraileur.
If anyone has information on this bike, please let me know. For starters, Iíd like to know which year it was made. From the components, it seems to be early to mid 80ís.