Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Makes a strong man weep to see such a thing !


  2. #2
    PDR
    PDR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, North West England, UK
    My Bikes
    Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thought of sending those to the tip is criminal!

    They look like they have been left outside in the rain. He has to buy a new one every 3 years. He does an 8 mile commute each day and bounces up & down kerbs. In other words he is a Brompton abuser.

    I’d probably enjoy restoring those (with new bits from SJS).... but I'm in the middle of a Moulton at the moment.
    Last edited by PDR; 07-30-09 at 07:56 AM.

  3. #3
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    In other words he is a Brompton abuser.
    That is the job of a commuter!

    Probably not left outside for all of that time but certainly used heavily ... without fenders.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a related subject - there is someone selling his Brompton 3 speed for $750. is this a good price. should i jump and buy it ? appreciate the input from a Brompton specialist....

    thanks,
    vic

  5. #5
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes It would be wastefull and immoral to throw these in the tip. He should phone up a local cycle exchange ,who will do them up and sell them for a good cause. It is selfish behaviour the amount of people who do not give good items to charity shops and the like, which are usually closer than a local tip. I know charity shops do not accept bikes ,but come on put more effort in to recycling good resources.


    However the asking price has gone over what I payed for a perfectly good Merc with accessories,or a new Downtube. Crazy the price people pay for used or badly damaged Bromptons. I have also seen crash ones sell for similar amounts!
    Last edited by bhkyte; 07-30-09 at 09:41 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lalato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bay Area and Sacramento
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Tikit
    Posts
    1,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    on a related subject - there is someone selling his Brompton 3 speed for $750. is this a good price. should i jump and buy it ? appreciate the input from a Brompton specialist....

    thanks,
    vic
    Depends on age, condition and model. The cheapest new Bromptons in the US go for about $1K. Bromptons do tend to hold their value, but if the bike is particularly old or in poor condition you shouldn't expect to pay a super premium for it. If it's in good shape and relatively recent, $750 is a good price.

    --sam

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    In other words he is a Brompton abuser.
    . . . with a flair for language. Has all the makings of a gripping short-story.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this brings me to a question... I am at 2.5 years, 3000 miles and 350 round trips (8.5 miles daily) on a $300 Downtube, in all sorts of weather including snow / rain / salted roads. Just yesterday I was in a shop looking at bromptons casually as a possible replacement when my standby finally gives up the ghost.

    Is 3 years a typical lifetime for ANY folder used in daily commuting? Are Bromptons just not up to daily rigorous cycling? I'd hate to spend $1200+ on a Brompton and have it last only three years as well.

  9. #9
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post
    Is 3 years a typical lifetime for ANY folder used in daily commuting? Are Bromptons just not up to daily rigorous cycling? I'd hate to spend $1200+ on a Brompton and have it last only three years as well.
    I think some TLC would extend the life of a Brompton considerably.

  10. #10
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    I think some TLC would extend the life of a Brompton considerably.
    Brommies are best when ridden hard and put away wet. You fix what breaks. Nothing should break.

    IMHO a dirty brommie is a happy brommie. No sense whatsoever to have a spanking clean one.
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  11. #11
    PDR
    PDR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, North West England, UK
    My Bikes
    Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Brommies are best when ridden hard and put away wet. You fix what breaks. Nothing should break.

    IMHO a dirty brommie is a happy brommie. No sense whatsoever to have a spanking clean one.
    I do hope you are joking

  12. #12
    PDR
    PDR is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, North West England, UK
    My Bikes
    Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of old Bromptons still going strong so there is absolutely no reason why a well cared for Brompton should not last 10, 20, 30 years or more.

    I ride mine to the station, fold it and fit its little cover before taking in on the train. I wipe it down each time it gets wet from the rain and regularly give the bike a good clean. The bike does not even have a single scratch on it after 4 months of daily use.....

    A Brompton bike may be a “tool” to get you from A to B but there still is no excuse to abuse them.


    Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post
    So this brings me to a question... I am at 2.5 years, 3000 miles and 350 round trips (8.5 miles daily) on a $300 Downtube, in all sorts of weather including snow / rain / salted roads. Just yesterday I was in a shop looking at bromptons casually as a possible replacement when my standby finally gives up the ghost.

    Is 3 years a typical lifetime for ANY folder used in daily commuting? Are Bromptons just not up to daily rigorous cycling? I'd hate to spend $1200+ on a Brompton and have it last only three years as well.

  13. #13
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They went for 450! I think I would sooner have al new bikes for this! It is crazy the price people pay for second hand Bromptons ,good for sellers however!

    Therefore I feel the best think about Brompton ownership is selling it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •