Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Downtube Nova - $279 (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/575616-downtube-nova-279-a.html)

DVC45 08-20-09 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joako (Post 9525454)
Looks great and everything, but the picture does not convince me. Look at that horrible weld between the seat tube and top tube.

Its $269.

DVC45 08-20-09 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinew (Post 9525167)
Hi, 1st time poster here and I'm trying to pick a folding bike. I hope to get some advice from the more experienced people.

I would like to ask the general opinion of how important is 2lbs difference if I carry it 3-floor up to my apartment daily and sometimes public transportation(nyc)? Because there is no budget issue for all the downtube modesl and I don't care about the suspensions. The important things for me are durability, weight, and ride efficiency. The only thing i'm not sure about is the quality & durability of the Nova. Should I go for their more expensive model with little added weight or nova?

thanks!

I think the Nova is the lightest in their line up as the Mini is no longer offered. And no, 3lbs is not a lot of difference, IMO. But of course, every bit helps.
As you might know, the Nova just came out, so no none can really comment about its durability as of yet. We are all in the fence here.

invisiblehand 08-20-09 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinew (Post 9525167)
I would like to ask the general opinion of how important is 2lbs difference if I carry it 3-floor up to my apartment daily and sometimes public transportation(nyc)?

Depends on the person.

CrimsonEclipse 08-20-09 02:54 PM

Looks like they are using the similar headset as Dahon now.

Anyone notice a (rider) weight limit in the specs?

shinew 08-20-09 03:00 PM

I agree that weight is subjective. I'm asian, 5'5", 140lbs and fairly fit since I work out or doing sports almost daily.

How's downtube's quality in general? I just temporarily bought a lightly used Citizen Tokyo to use for a week or so, and to get a feel of a folding bike before deciding on which folder to buy. there're couple of things that bother me on the Citizen bike: weight(slightly too heavy), filmsy handlebar stem(it flexes), and gearing is too low even on the highest, I like high gears and don't climb much.

If my top priority for a bike is built quality & weight, and then high gears, are there any other folders I should consider besides Downtube Nova(under $500 preferably)? Sorry for being slightly off topic.

JCFlack 08-20-09 07:41 PM

You can improve the flexing on the handlebar stem on your Tokyo by tightening the nut on the end of the clasp. Not too tight, obviously, or you won't be able to close it. Nothing you can do about the weight - it may be small, but it is steel, and therefore heavy. But hopefully, that also makes it strong. It isn't easy to improve the gearing, but Ed Wong just directed me to a gear set with an 11 tooth small cog, which should help. I've ordered one, and will let you all know how it works.

shinew 08-20-09 08:10 PM

thanks for the suggestions JCFlack.

I don't think that I want to spend much effort on the Tokyo. There're too many little things that bother me with the bike: gearing, weight, and because of the stem flexes, it doesn't give me a sense of construction quality I'm looking for. And because of the low gearing on Tokyo, I dropped the Gotham from my list as well since I expect them to be similar in terms of gearing. The Tokyo I bought was barely used at all and I got it really cheap, I'll have no problem selling it for the price I've paid for after using it for few weeks as my temp bike and get my feet wet in the folder territory.

I tried a Dahon D3 at a local bike shop yesterday, it was the only folder available there but it felt so much more solid and well made than the Tokyo(price is very different too of course), also the gearing was much higher than the Tokyo which I liked quite a bit. If it weren't for the color(red), I would seriously consider it. I probably also prefer a 20" wheel, but I'm somewhat flexible on that.

norfair 08-21-09 03:01 PM

Looks to me like a rebranding of the Dahon Speed 7 - with a tweak here and a tweak there. I think the Nova looks fantastic, especially the green model. I'm just not sure I want a Dahon. It's noted that this model uses Dahon's hinge mechanism, but it seems to be using a lot more than that from the brand. The price is unbeatable insofar as I can tell, but I'm still not sure what to do. I emailed Yan about the bike, but didn't get quite the informative response I was hoping for. Hopefully someone will review the Nova soon enough. Though, at its price there's not much to lose - expect maybe for s/h fees. What to do, oh what to do...

edwong3 08-21-09 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joako (Post 9525454)
Looks great and everything, but the picture does not convince me. Look at that horrible weld between the seat tube and top tube.

That "horrible weld" as you say is the front derailleur mount. See here.

http://downtube.com/images/2010_Bike...s/IMG_1279.JPG

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder

SesameCrunch 08-21-09 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwong3 (Post 9533281)
That "horrible weld" as you say is the front derailleur mount. See here.

http://downtube.com/images/2010_Bike...s/IMG_1279.JPG

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder

Front derailleur mount makes this even more attractive. Great mod-ing potential!

Joako 08-21-09 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwong3 (Post 9533281)
That "horrible weld" as you say is the front derailleur mount. See here.

http://downtube.com/images/2010_Bike...s/IMG_1279.JPG

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder

Nice. I take back my comment. This bike would be even better with an extra $200. I like how the wheels look.

sunburst 08-21-09 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfair (Post 9533178)
Looks to me like a rebranding of the Dahon Speed 7

I've been looking for a low-end folder also.

The Dahon is chro-moly, so that's one big difference. Lots of little ones.

Performance has the Dahon on sale for $375 (with 20% discount in their online closeout section). The Downtube is very tempting, but I can go try a Dahon out at Performance, and get their life-time service. So that swings things in their favor a bit.

Oops, forget that. I just decided to call them. My local Perf store is completely out of Dahons. No new ones 'til next year. I can still buy it online however.

bhkyte 08-22-09 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SesameCrunch (Post 9533570)
Front derailleur mount makes this even more attractive. Great mod-ing potential!

+1

Should be standard practice I say.

Dahon.Steve 08-22-09 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfair (Post 9533178)
Looks to me like a rebranding of the Dahon Speed 7 -

It reminds me of my Dahon Speed I purchased 5 years ago. That was not a bad bicycle at all but I sold it because the ride was too harsh. At the time, I didn't know that a non-suspended bike like this really needs a Thudbuser or Brooks Champion Flyer with springs. I prefer this option over the fram suspended Bikes by Downtube. Man it is so tempting!

edwong3 08-22-09 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhkyte (Post 9536109)
+1

Should be standard practice I say.

"As is", the bike looks great, but it is nice to know that there's a lot of upgrade potential.:thumb:

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder

juan162 08-23-09 08:32 AM

I'm probably a bit over the weight limit, or I would definitely get one...I'm trying to lose weight, so maybe I'll get one for myself if I can get to a certain weight!!! I haven't done any serious folder mod'ing in 2-3 years...it'd be fun to throw a double front chainring on, and some drops,

Juan

joe2fly 08-23-09 08:51 PM

Yan finally put up some pics.
http://downtube.com/images/2010_Bikes/Nova/high_res/

looks like a great bike.

sonex293 08-24-09 07:28 AM

Hi-Res pictures look great. I really like the green color.

I'm hoping Yan will post some folded dimension for the Nova. I'm also hoping he will post dimensions with the wheels removed, as size is big concern for me.

So, has anyone ordered one yet?
--
Michael

chagzuki 08-24-09 09:26 AM

Nowhere near enough angle in the handlepost for me, same problem as with most Dahons.

JosephLMonti 08-24-09 10:39 AM

It looks like the Downtube Nova uses an integrated headset. I've heard the pros/cons of this system and was wondering what people in this forum thought...well?

Dahon.Steve 08-25-09 02:49 PM

I wonder why Yan choose the name Nova? Doesn't he know this means "Dosen't move" in spanish? LOL! I remember hearing the Chevy Nova didn't sell well in latin America because no one wanted to buy a car that didn't start!

akcapbikeforums 08-26-09 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 9555581)
I wonder why Yan choose the name Nova? Doesn't he know this means "Dosen't move" in spanish? LOL! I remember hearing the Chevy Nova didn't sell well in latin America because no one wanted to buy a car that didn't start!

Because this isn't Spain or Latin America? :rolleyes:

kamtsa 08-26-09 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe2fly (Post 9519067)
It kind of reminds me of the citizen miami, with the black stem and seat post. I hope its not that cheap.

I'd buy one if I could see some close ups pics of all the vital parts, hinges, derailleur, clamps...ect.

There is a bunch of high quality high resolution images here:

http://downtube.com/images/2010_Bikes/Nova/high_res/

Kam

Speedo 08-26-09 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joako (Post 9525454)
Looks great and everything, but the picture does not convince me. Look at that horrible weld between the seat tube and top tube.

The good thing is that the frame latch seems to be improved (looks like Dahon's).

Read the description here and check out this picture of the "horrible weld".

The "horrible weld" is a derailleur hanger! Holy crap! It's set up from the get-go to accommodate a front derailleur.

(edit Sorry, I didn't get to the second page to see that this was covered already. /edit)

The frame hinge is licensed from Dahon.

Speedo

Speedo 08-26-09 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 9555581)
I wonder why Yan choose the name Nova? Doesn't he know this means "Dosen't move" in spanish? LOL! I remember hearing the Chevy Nova didn't sell well in latin America because no one wanted to buy a car that didn't start!

That's an urban myth.

Speedo


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 PM.