Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,185
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Long term update: Pacific Reach Offroad

    I didn't check what time or distance but here is some feedback regarding my wife's Reach Offroad.

    Biggest problem is the front suspension linkages. These have developed a lot of up-and-down play as well as side-to-side so the front wheel is sort of rattling around any old how.

    I disassembled the whole lot last night to fix things up. So this is what I found:

    1. Suspension elastomer insert/widget: The angular suspension insert is no longer snug in its place but has a bit of play, giving the up-and-down play of the suspension. The play is very small in the widget but it adds up to too much.

    To fix it, I smeared the widget assembly with silicone grease and then gunked the whole lot up with sil rubber. Hopefully the grease will allow a painless disassembly next time. Or hopefully there wont be a next time. Any way, the joints are nice a tight and play-free now.

    2. Linkage axles have side-side and all round play: Too much. I found some very thin metal foil at work and made shims around the axles to take up any slop.

    It seems a lot better now. But it is worrying that the stuff is developing very serious play after not too much riding. Admittedly, she rides a very rough trail weekly which gives those joints pure, hell not to mention grit especially if the trail is wet.

    I'll see if I can get some pics.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  2. #2
    in cog neato itsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Reach Road, and I wonder how long the elastomer and the numerous plastic bushings are going to hold up:



    Unfortunately, email inquiries about spares to the US-based Reach distributors and to Pacific itself got no response. I don't think Pacific is too interested in the US market.

    From the get-go the fork on my Reach Road had some lateral play. Enough that I had to run the front brake a little loose or else a brake pad would rub the rim on tight turns. And after 600+ road miles its developed more lateral and some vertical play as well. Happily, I don't notice anything when riding (except when the brake pads rubbed!)

    I'd be interested to hear more about your repairs, and see pics as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have the heart of a young boy. I got it on eBay.

  3. #3
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmoot View Post
    Unfortunately, email inquiries about spares to the US-based Reach distributors and to Pacific itself got no response. I don't think Pacific is too interested in the US market.
    Have you tried talking to a Birdy dealer since the US distributor does both bikes?

    Alternatively, if you go to the Birdy YAHOO forum, the US distributor posts there occasionally.

    Unfortunately, I heard stuff like this with the Birdy US distributor -- questionable support -- and decided that it was not worth the hassle.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    My Bikes
    Strida 3
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to contact them directly, they answered me (not so long ago) about the CarryMe.

    http://www.pacific-cycles.com/contact.asp

  5. #5
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,185
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmoot View Post
    I have a Reach Road, and I wonder how long the elastomer and the numerous plastic bushings are going to hold up:



    Unfortunately, email inquiries about spares to the US-based Reach distributors and to Pacific itself got no response. I don't think Pacific is too interested in the US market.

    From the get-go the fork on my Reach Road had some lateral play. Enough that I had to run the front brake a little loose or else a brake pad would rub the rim on tight turns. And after 600+ road miles its developed more lateral and some vertical play as well. Happily, I don't notice anything when riding (except when the brake pads rubbed!)

    I'd be interested to hear more about your repairs, and see pics as well.
    Yep thanks for your pic, the frames between the various models are identical so this is what I also have.

    The linkage at the top of the fork is the one with sideways play as well. This part isn't too well thought out as the axles move inside the centre aluminium bushings, wearing these out. Also, the face of the plastic bush (which they use everywhere as in your pic above) did wear out, adding lateral play as well.

    The slop inside the aluminium bush I took up with shim material, and the face of the plastic bushes I'll shim up tonight with probably Nomex sheet.

    The bush inside the springing joint from your pic above, had part of the face cracked off when I opened it. It is not clear to me how important this bush is, so as I explained, I gunked up the whole lot with sil rubber.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmoot View Post

    Unfortunately, email inquiries about spares to the US-based Reach distributors and to Pacific itself got no response. I don't think Pacific is too interested in the US market.
    I don't think is Pacific itself, but alternativevehicles, the US distributor. I tried getting so parts for my CarryMe for the "just in case" situation. However, I did not have a good experience with them. They did not seem to show interest after the sale for the CarryMe was completed. Regarding birdybikes, another forum member did not have a good experience with them. Don't know how Pacific chooses their distributor, but their customer support is not top notch.

  7. #7
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joako View Post
    I don't think is Pacific itself, but alternativevehicles, the US distributor. I tried getting so parts for my CarryMe for the "just in case" situation. However, I did not have a good experience with them. They did not seem to show interest after the sale for the CarryMe was completed. Regarding birdybikes, another forum member did not have a good experience with them. Don't know how Pacific chooses their distributor, but their customer support is not top notch.
    Is alternativevehicles that same organization as rad innovations? Or did something change over the last two/three years?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    Is alternativevehicles that same organization as rad innovations? Or did something change over the last two/three years?
    Not sure if they were the same once. Ken = alternativevehicles; David = Rad innnovations (birdybike.com).

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW there is a NEW Reach and an IF Reach on Ebay UK ..
    ebay Item numbers: 150367197733 & 150367192198 sample bikes ?

  10. #10
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,185
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went for a training ride up the local peak. SWMBO said the descent proved a major improvement! She no longer felt the need to apply the brakes all the time, the bike felt surefooted and she let it go.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  11. #11
    Senior Member stevegor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oz
    My Bikes
    lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Jur, I''ll bite....What is all this extra training for?

    An upcoming tour?
    A very long Audax ride?
    Or as I suspect......getting ready for whenever WE meet for that "hell for leather" ride?
    Last edited by stevegor; 08-24-09 at 05:15 AM. Reason: correction
    I'm lame,
    I'm sore,
    I'm stonkered.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •