Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-09, 11:48 PM   #1
ChainlessRev
JustFoldIt
Thread Starter
 
ChainlessRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them
Posts: 173
Interbike 2009 Pictures

Just uploaded some pictures from Interbike.

As expected, not as many folding bikes (very little chainless bikes except for Biomega) as we would've wanted but still not too bad!

http://www.abiobikes.com/blog/2009/1...nterbike-2009/

Enjoy!
ChainlessRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 08:44 PM   #2
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,808
Very nice bicycles.

I like the fact that we are seeing new 20 inch non folding bikes entering the market. Unfortunately, Dahon was successful with the Smooth Hound but I hope this style of bike continues on. I also like the fact that we are seeing new colors and combinations instead of the same one color type folder.

I still don't feel very positive with the belt drive because even the manufacturer did not give an idea of how long it can last. We can thank the Strida for re-introducing the belt drive back on the market. I would still worry because if the current model is replaced and the new models belt doesn't fit the old one, you could have problems with parts.

Still, I like all the new development.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 07:36 AM   #3
ChainlessRev
JustFoldIt
Thread Starter
 
ChainlessRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
Very nice bicycles.

I like the fact that we are seeing new 20 inch non folding bikes entering the market. Unfortunately, Dahon was successful with the Smooth Hound but I hope this style of bike continues on. I also like the fact that we are seeing new colors and combinations instead of the same one color type folder.

I still don't feel very positive with the belt drive because even the manufacturer did not give an idea of how long it can last. We can thank the Strida for re-introducing the belt drive back on the market. I would still worry because if the current model is replaced and the new models belt doesn't fit the old one, you could have problems with parts.

Still, I like all the new development.
We talked to reps from Gates and they mentioned that you can get approximately 5,000 - 8,000 miles depending on the usage, etc. They are built for heavy machinery and tough!

As for fitting (or retrofitting) belts, they come in different lengths but almost all of them (e.g. Gates, Delta Cycle) come with the same pitch length (8 mm) so you will have no issues. The market for belts drive is not as big as chain but there is a good variety out there.
ChainlessRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 07:50 AM   #4
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
one thing is interesting ....

Gates: I have been on their booth last year and again this year asking them if they can come up with a fitting solution for a Dahon MU ( without sacrifieng the gearing all too much, i.e. it doesnt make sense if you have to peddle like crazy to get anywhere due to the too small front chainring )
Last year no call back ... This year again so far no call back, they couldnt answer any of this at the show...


Delta Cycle new with a similar setup as Gates .... I asked them he same and they were clueless.... I asked them that I would like to buy 5 kits they replied that they are not interested in selling to dealers, but looking for manufacturers instead. I dropped the literature and thanked them for their time and walked away. That attitude means nothing else that nobody can buy spares down the road as the manufacturers rely on the supplier to have them available for the dealers. Also they are clueless about the power of the dealer. If I have xy equipped Dahon bikes on my website as an alternative, guess what, Dahon would be much easier to get as a customer for XY supplier, when there is field experience already out there ... Besides Dahon for example is listening to their customers with a very open ear...
Turning down a dealer ........are those folks dreaming ?


I dont go out of my way for any of those two companies ........ they need to step it up !

Thor
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:02 AM   #5
chagzuki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
Posts: 1,867
Am I imagining it or are the latest Abio frame designs very different from last year? I'm wondering when they'll move on from the metallic green and purple to something a bit less toothpastey.
chagzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:08 AM   #6
Diode100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
Posts: 858
Great pictures, many thanks.

I love that iXi bike, it never gets written about, but I think it looks great, I wrote to the designer and asked him if he had taken design cues from the 1950's Wooler motorcycle, but he said he had never heard of it.

Like the look of the Ming as well, solid looking 20" wheel model, very neat.
Diode100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 01:17 PM   #7
ChainlessRev
JustFoldIt
Thread Starter
 
ChainlessRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
one thing is interesting ....

Gates: I have been on their booth last year and again this year asking them if they can come up with a fitting solution for a Dahon MU ( without sacrifieng the gearing all too much, i.e. it doesnt make sense if you have to peddle like crazy to get anywhere due to the too small front chainring )
Last year no call back ... This year again so far no call back, they couldnt answer any of this at the show...


Delta Cycle new with a similar setup as Gates .... I asked them he same and they were clueless.... I asked them that I would like to buy 5 kits they replied that they are not interested in selling to dealers, but looking for manufacturers instead. I dropped the literature and thanked them for their time and walked away. That attitude means nothing else that nobody can buy spares down the road as the manufacturers rely on the supplier to have them available for the dealers. Also they are clueless about the power of the dealer. If I have xy equipped Dahon bikes on my website as an alternative, guess what, Dahon would be much easier to get as a customer for XY supplier, when there is field experience already out there ... Besides Dahon for example is listening to their customers with a very open ear...
Turning down a dealer ........are those folks dreaming ?


I dont go out of my way for any of those two companies ........ they need to step it up !

Thor
Thor,

Sorry to hear about your experience with Gates-CDS and Delta Cycles. Our experience with both companies (founders, engineers & sales) has been quite positive and they really took the time to explain the nitty gritty to us & more even though we are a small company.

We have a pretty good relationship with both companies so would be happy to help you out. Would love to see some chainless Dahons!
ChainlessRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 01:21 PM   #8
ChainlessRev
JustFoldIt
Thread Starter
 
ChainlessRev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagzuki View Post
Am I imagining it or are the latest Abio frame designs very different from last year? I'm wondering when they'll move on from the metallic green and purple to something a bit less toothpastey.
Hi Chaqzuki,

Yes! We've heard you (& others) loud & clear and we can offer custom paint (black, white, and other basic colors) at no additional charge!
ChainlessRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 01:38 PM   #9
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
I probably could have explained to them that I have in the past .....and plan in the future and on and on ...

But all of this is water down the wrong river ...

If I sell the stuff ( or advise Dahon positively) than it is imperative to me that any dealer in this country can get parts if he needs them. ( to help MY customer with repairs to the bike I sold him )

Both companies have not seen this, yes its extra work, but mainly its attitude ...
nothing else and I dont like people who make life difficult....
They dont know it yet but the bike industry doesnt pay enough to have "tude" ..... :-)

thor
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.