Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    That #%^$ SRAM hub

    I've been having problems with my 3-speed Curve for some time now. The gears don't shift smoothly, and I sometimes can barely access first gear.

    For a while I thought it was simply tension on the shifter cable near the hub. I would experiment getting the tension just right, and sometimes it works for a while.

    I also had problems with gears seeming to slip from time to time, usually when going uphill and there's I'm pressing harder on the pedals. It would tend to crop up when I had recently done work on the rear wheel - changing tires, usually. It's difficult to get the rear wheel in just the right position.

    Now, I suspect neither of these may be the cause. I've gotten the tension on the shifter cable and on the chain correct, I think, and the gears keep almost-slipping and the shifting still doesn't work. Am I making false assumptions here? Anyone see this before?
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfein View Post
    I've been having problems with my 3-speed Curve for some time now. The gears don't shift smoothly, and I sometimes can barely access first gear.

    For a while I thought it was simply tension on the shifter cable near the hub. I would experiment getting the tension just right, and sometimes it works for a while.

    I also had problems with gears seeming to slip from time to time, usually when going uphill and there's I'm pressing harder on the pedals. It would tend to crop up when I had recently done work on the rear wheel - changing tires, usually. It's difficult to get the rear wheel in just the right position.

    Now, I suspect neither of these may be the cause. I've gotten the tension on the shifter cable and on the chain correct, I think, and the gears keep almost-slipping and the shifting still doesn't work. Am I making false assumptions here? Anyone see this before?

    Most problems with hub shifting problems on folders stem from cable problems and not the hub itself.. long enclosed cable runs and continually folding it in half on itself make these the likely culprit... disconnect the cable from the hub.. actuate the shifting manually.. if it shifts fine, then the cable, or possibly the shifter is at fault.. also look at the cable guide at the hub(if it has one) I had a D3 with a Sturmey and the plastic cable guide was broken and would not let the gear actuator move smoothly in and out of the hub... Sram 3 speed hubs should last a long time if not abused.. also, if you don't already use a chain tug to keep the wheel from sliding forward under force, you might consider installing one.. not only does it keep the wheel from moving forward incrementally (changing the cable tension in the process), but it can also aid in getting the wheel back in the same place in the dropouts after a wheel removal..

  3. #3
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    Most problems with hub shifting problems on folders stem from cable problems and not the hub itself.. long enclosed cable runs and continually folding it in half on itself make these the likely culprit... disconnect the cable from the hub.. actuate the shifting manually.. if it shifts fine, then the cable, or possibly the shifter is at fault.. also look at the cable guide at the hub(if it has one) I had a D3 with a Sturmey and the plastic cable guide was broken and would not let the gear actuator move smoothly in and out of the hub... Sram 3 speed hubs should last a long time if not abused.. also, if you don't already use a chain tug to keep the wheel from sliding forward under force, you might consider installing one.. not only does it keep the wheel from moving forward incrementally (changing the cable tension in the process), but it can also aid in getting the wheel back in the same place in the dropouts after a wheel removal..
    Pulling the chain that goes into the hub itself, it seems to move smoothly. It's also screwed in all the way. (I had it come loose once when I was giving he bike a cleaning, and thought I had broken the hub!)

    I'll take a look at the cable guide and routing. The cable guide is kinda beat up.

    What's a chain tug? It sounds like it could be very useful.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfein View Post
    Pulling the chain that goes into the hub itself, it seems to move smoothly. It's also screwed in all the way. (I had it come loose once when I was giving he bike a cleaning, and thought I had broken the hub!)

    I'll take a look at the cable guide and routing. The cable guide is kinda beat up.

    What's a chain tug? It sounds like it could be very useful.
    There are a few different styles.. but basically the same idea.. you want something for a 10mm axle.. something like This.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u know u suppose to stop pedaling while u shift gear, right?

  6. #6
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,225
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say many shifting problems come from dirty cables.

    I would replace the cable or at least, pull the inner cable out of the outer housing, quirt WD-40 down the cable housing and blow it clean with a compressor. Wipe the outside of the inner cable apply some Boeshield and reassemble. If it has kinks and won't return to smooth movement, replace.

    (My Birdy's rear cable deteriorates and when I do this, it returns to as-new performance.)
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  7. #7
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
    u know u suppose to stop pedaling while u shift gear, right?
    SRAM T3 manual:
    "Keep pedaling without effort as you change gears."

    iMotion 3:
    "Load shiftable. You can shift while standing still or while riding your bicycle."

    Best,
    tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

    "Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sram T3 is rock solid but I would not shift it under load. You do have to let up when going up hill regardless of what the instructions state.

  9. #9
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everybody! I think several of the suggestions above are issues.



    The drive-side retaining bolt is stripped, and won't hold the wheel in the correct location.


    The cable guide itself doesn't turn all that easily.


    You can see scarring on the frame where the wheel gets pulled forward in the dropout. I'll have to order a cable pull.


    The cable will only come out of the hub at this angle (or straight up). You need to loosen it a bit to get it angled so it sits correctly in the cable guide. Might this be causing the issue with shifting?

    I think an email to Thor is in order.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  10. #10
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and here are more pictures:


    The shifter cable attachment and (I think) the guide inside the shifter housing


    The thingy that clamps onto the shift cable and pulls on the chain from the hub


    The shifter cable attachment and (I think) the guide inside the shifter housing


    The cover to the cable guide

    a quickr pickr post
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  11. #11
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,225
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a mighty short piece of axle you have for threading the axle nut on... no wonder it stripped.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  12. #12
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ok lemme try
    1. looks to me that the cable is totally gone. replace with a new shifter cable ( its generic)
    a new outer housing is a couple bucks, slurge and get a new one also
    2. I will look if I have a cable turn around guide floating around
    3. get a new axle nut .... from Harris Cyclery I dont think I have them
    4. unscrew the link shifter chain half a turn so it can point forward without binding
    5. check if you have more axle on the non drive side, if yes than loosen the cones and shift the axle more to the drive side, so you have enough thread on both sides... look if HArris has a thinner washer with a leg, the little leg is important as it prevents the axle from rotating
    6. looks to me that the wheel could go a little more upwards in the slot . make sure you got both sides straight and have the apropiate torque on both axle nuts ( in the description which came with your bike )
    7. no axlestoppers needed as the slot is horizontal and not vertical

    okidokee :-)

    Thor

  13. #13
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Thor!

    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    3. get a new axle nut .... from Harris Cyclery I dont think I have them
    Okay, sounds good. What's the axle nut part I need to ask for?

    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    4. unscrew the link shifter chain half a turn so it can point forward without binding
    That's what I've been doing. It's good to know I've been doing something correctly!

    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    5. check if you have more axle on the non drive side, if yes than loosen the cones and shift the axle more to the drive side, so you have enough thread on both sides... look if HArris has a thinner washer with a leg, the little leg is important as it prevents the axle from rotating
    Will do. What are the cones?

    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    6. looks to me that the wheel could go a little more upwards in the slot .
    By upwards do you mean towards the front or the back?

    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    7. no axlestoppers needed as the slot is horizontal and not vertical
    This is the same as a chain pull? I thought that the whole point, that the wheel can get pulled forward in the dropout by the chain.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  14. #14
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my fault
    sure the curve has long slots ( i always mix up horizontal ,,lol ) yeah a tug like you have on your link should work

    checked in the warehouse if I have the roller thingy for the chain to go around..I have an SA one but not the sram thingy ... also Harris is the place.... dont have part numbers but if you tell them what year bike and 3 speed and such they should be knowing what you need

    Thanks Thor

  15. #15
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    3. get a new axle nut .... from Harris Cyclery I dont think I have them
    Availability of small parts in N.A. for SRAM IGHs has been an issue for some time. Are you saying Harris has a stash of unadvertised SRAM IGH parts?

    5. check if you have more axle on the non drive side, if yes than loosen the cones and shift the axle more to the drive side, so you have enough thread on both sides...
    With an IGH, wouldn't that misalign the sun and planet gears?

    Best,
    tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

    "Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

  16. #16
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think there is some wiggle room

    I am sure that HArris has lots of parts which are not on their website....


    thor

  17. #17
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harris Cyclery told me that "SRAM sells their shifters complete from the clickbox to the shifter".

    I've asked my local shop to order the cable guide, retaining bolt, no-turn washer, and plastic cable guide, and asked them to get doubles if the parts aren't that expensive. They're also ordering a chain pull.

    My next folding bike will not be a Dahon, and it will use more standard parts. Unless IGHs get more popular by then.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  18. #18
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRAM technical manuals and parts numbers are available on the internet, I just ordered parts and rebuilt a 2001 SRAM SpectroP5 IGH using info I downloaded from the SRAM web site.

    http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/tech_manuals.php
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/..._T3_8_2005.pdf

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfein View Post
    Harris Cyclery told me that "SRAM sells their shifters complete from the clickbox to the shifter".

    I've asked my local shop to order the cable guide, retaining bolt, no-turn washer, and plastic cable guide, and asked them to get doubles if the parts aren't that expensive. They're also ordering a chain pull.

    My next folding bike will not be a Dahon, and it will use more standard parts. Unless IGHs get more popular by then.
    Internal hubs all suffer from these problems. It's just something you have to live with for the pleasure of using them. I learned to buy extra axel nuts and washers before they become a problem. They are not that expensive but they do wear out from constant changing of the rear wheel due to flats. That's why I use Marathons and a rear Tuffy tire liners to prevent getting flats and using up the nuts.

  20. #20
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    Internal hubs all suffer from these problems. It's just something you have to live with for the pleasure of using them. I learned to buy extra axel nuts and washers before they become a problem. They are not that expensive but they do wear out from constant changing of the rear wheel due to flats. That's why I use Marathons and a rear Tuffy tire liners to prevent getting flats and using up the nuts.
    Steve, where did you buy the extra nuts from? I know what I need to get (SRAM has a spare parts manual that's well-labeled with exploded views of the hub assembly) but my local shop is having trouble getting ther parts. Harrisis looking into this, but it sounds like they can't order individual parts.

    This has been going on for some time, and I'm getting more and more disenchanted with Dahon.

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    There are a few different styles.. but basically the same idea.. you want something for a 10mm axle.. something like This.
    Bruce, the T3 axle nut is a 10.5mm part. Does that mean I need a 10.5mm chain pull?
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfein View Post



    Bruce, the T3 axle nut is a 10.5mm part. Does that mean I need a 10.5mm chain pull?
    I'd still use the 10mm axle tug and ream it out a little if needs be .. I have an older Sachs hub here with 10.5mm axle and the one 10mm axle tug I have is a tight fit .. a dremel would size it in a hurry..

    10.5mm nut is a bit of an odd ball .. it's 10.5mm x 26TPI ... if it were me, I'd get a couple of Sturmey nuts (10.3 x 26TPI) and see how they fit your already somewhat worn axle.. might be a little tight, but tight might be good.. if you can't find the correct nut (10.5mm x 26TPI) in the US, you can always go UK .. many sites have them listed .. such as This One..

  22. #22
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfein View Post
    This has been going on for some time, and I'm getting more and more disenchanted with Dahon.
    Randya, recently mentioned that SRAM has a reputation for failing to supply components for the IGHs and supplied a link. From the Bike Friday Yak, SRAM DD parts are difficult to source other than through Bike Friday.

    I doubt that this is a Dahon problem rather than an SRAM problem. Although Dahon presumably has some leverage in this area.

  23. #23
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    I'd still use the 10mm axle tug and ream it out a little if needs be .. I have an older Sachs hub here with 10.5mm axle and the one 10mm axle tug I have is a tight fit .. a dremel would size it in a hurry..
    A dremel might be too powerful. Kind of like using a flame thrower to kill a roach.

    Since we are only talking about a half mm here, just find an old reamer and widen the hole a bit. I used what that linked website called a tapered reamer (non-precision) with my Surly Tuggnut.

  24. #24
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bikeparts.com emailed me back - they have a T3 hub parts kit!

    http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC353867

    I placed the order, I hope it'll be here soon.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  25. #25
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what's going on: The Bikeparts order is on the way. However, in the meantime, Dahon responded to an email I had sent asking them where I could order the parts I needed. My bike shop was also able to find the parts. the shop says the bike'll be ready Friday, and I'll have spares.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •