Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Dahon Classic III, Should I get it (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/593691-dahon-classic-iii-should-i-get.html)

amckimmey 10-12-09 03:15 PM

Dahon Classic III, Should I get it
 
So today I went into a LBS and found this Dahon Classic III EP 203(I really don't know what the Ep203 is). I have been looking into getting a folding bike. My girl friend moved across country and I'm going to go visit her at the end of this month, that's basically the reason for me wanting a folding bike so i can check it for no extra cost.

the bike does weigh in the 30lbs range, the bike is in great condition, the only thing that looks bad is the stickers are pealing, the paint is fine, and the sturmey archer hub is shiny, in line new quality,

They are asking $400 for it, I really don't want to spend that much, they say the original price was $600, I don't know if it would work talking them down, they are a greedy bike show they have 20 year old bikes they still sell for 100 under original price. how much is this bike actually costs

everything is great on it, plastic fenders and all.

help me out. please. I have never had a folder, i would like one

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3519/...029f4bb89c.jpg

HGR3inOK 10-12-09 03:46 PM

Sure looks a lot like this used one with a $125 asking price:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/1417839666.html

folder fanatic 10-12-09 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amckimmey (Post 9844999)
So today I went into a LBS and found this Dahon Classic III EP 203(I really don't know what the Ep203 is). I have been looking into getting a folding bike. My girl friend moved across country and I'm going to go visit her at the end of this month, that's basically the reason for me wanting a folding bike so i can check it for no extra cost.

the bike does weigh in the 30lbs range, the bike is in great condition, the only thing that looks bad is the stickers are pealing, the paint is fine, and the sturmey archer hub is shiny, in line new quality,

They are asking $400 for it, I really don't want to spend that much, they say the original price was $600, I don't know if it would work talking them down, they are a greedy bike show they have 20 year old bikes they still sell for 100 under original price. how much is this bike actually costs

everything is great on it, plastic fenders and all.

help me out. please. I have never had a folder, i would like one


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3519/...029f4bb89c.jpg

I would first check out what a Dahon similar type of bike (16" wheel, smaller frame) which is currently listed for. The closest model to the Classic III is the Curve D3 with a Sturmey Archer hub & same size wheels-yet technological improvements are already intergrated into the bike itself:

Curve D3 - 2009
Price: USD$ 599.00

The bike shop is right as 600 dollar is what you pay for a new one. If you are prepared to pay that much, opt to have a nice bike shop to order one or similar (there are other models to consider like 20" wheels), or think about buying one off of Ebay like the one posted here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGR3inOK (Post 9845189)
Sure looks a lot like this used one with a $125 asking price:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/1417839666.html

Factor in the price to tune it up (usually around 50 dollars) & even if you have to add the additional costs of tires, brake pads & the like, you will still be better off. If you discover that folding bikes are not for you, then you did not invest too much money into it.

Lalato 10-12-09 07:44 PM

No way in hell would I pay that much for a Dahon Classic. For that same $400 you could have a brand new folding bike with a warranty.

--sam

ShinyBiker 10-12-09 07:58 PM

These bikes appear frequently in craigslist. Their ad usually starts with, "I was cleaning out my garage and found this..." Most of the time they're right around $100.

vmaniqui 10-12-09 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalato (Post 9846638)
No way in hell would I pay that much for a Dahon Classic. For that same $400 you could have a brand new folding bike with a warranty.

--sam

+1. that is way overpriced for an old bike. don't even think about buying it. check performancebike.com as they have dahon bikes on sale now.

2009 Dahon Speed D7 7-speed Folding Bike
Regular: $479.99
SALE: $399.99

2009 Dahon Boardwalk Folding Bike
Regular: $259.99
SALE: $199.99

2009 Dahon Eco 3 7-speed Folding Bike
Regular: $379.99
SALE: $299.99

2009 Dahon Vitesse D7 7-speed Folding Bike
Regular: $579.99
SALE: $499.99


2009 Dahon Curve D3 3-speed Folding Bike
Regular: $599.99
SALE: $514.92

ChainlessRev 10-13-09 07:06 AM

Saw this vintage model a few days ago. A 20 incher $100

Dahon foldable bike - $100 (Clinton Hill)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/1414103677.html

amckimmey 10-13-09 07:59 AM

So does any one have this one or know how much it cost when it came out?

Diode100 10-13-09 09:03 AM

I think they were about 250/300 pounds when they were available here, so i would imagine they were about the same in dollars, given the usual UK mark up on things, so $250-300, i would guess.

vmaniqui 10-13-09 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amckimmey (Post 9848844)
So does any one have this one or know how much it cost when it came out?

iregardless of how much it cost brand new, it is still way too high of a price at this time.

amckimmey 10-13-09 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmaniqui (Post 9849405)
iregardless of how much it cost brand new, it is still way too high of a price at this time.

it actually kindof does, this bike shop is kindof stupid because it does this hole thing where they do a thjing where they put stupid stuff on there tags.

NEW $699
CUT $599
SALE $399


they do that on all tags of used bikes. it gives more more of an argument on why they should give it to me for way less.

I might try and talk them down today, I have printed off information and listings i havee found online. No one will ever buy the bike if i don't.

HGR3inOK 10-13-09 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amckimmey (Post 9849930)
... this bike shop is kindof stupid because it does this hole thing where they do a thjing where they put stupid stuff on there tags. ...

Looks like they subscribe to the Barnum theory ("there's one born every minute"). :)
That would make me reluctant to trust my bike to them for maintenance/repairs.

brakemeister 10-13-09 12:56 PM

NO way
if it was a stainless model in pristine shape .... maybe ..but I wouldnt even pay that much for one of them. If you really like old stuff than MAYBE 175 to 200 but not a cents more ... rather go and get a Eco from Performance with 5 year warranty and MUCH better ride geometry ... and and and
and yes I have new ones as well. just not for the performance price ..lol
thor

ChainlessRev 10-13-09 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brakemeister (Post 9850747)
NO way
if it was a stainless model in pristine shape .... maybe ..but I wouldnt even pay that much for one of them. If you really like old stuff than MAYBE 175 to 200 but not a cents more ... rather go and get a Eco from Performance with 5 year warranty and MUCH better ride geometry ... and and and
and yes I have new ones as well. just not for the performance price ..lol
thor

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1073625_-1___
2009 Dahon Eco 3 7-speed Folding Bike $299

ShinyBiker 10-13-09 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amckimmey (Post 9849930)

I might try and talk them down today, I have printed off information and listings i havee found online. No one will ever buy the bike if i don't.

This reminds me of the scene in Fargo where the guy, after going round and round with William H. Macy about the undercoating, turns to his wife and says, "Give me the f*****g checkbook, honey, and lets get this over with!"

vmaniqui 10-13-09 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amckimmey (Post 9849930)
I might try and talk them down today, I have printed off information and listings i havee found online. No one will ever buy the bike if i don't.

so you're really so serious in getting this bike in spite of all the members input. i wouldn't even dare talk to them. if i were you i will just walk away and tell them 'GOOD LUCK'.

amckimmey 10-14-09 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmaniqui (Post 9854235)
so you're really so serious in getting this bike in spite of all the members input. i wouldn't even dare talk to them. if i were you i will just walk away and tell them 'GOOD LUCK'.

Not really. I'm just going to see if i can talk them down, I would not even consider it if I cant get it down to at least $150 I think.

I already have the bike packed that I would be bringing with me, It would just be simpler, It's going to be atleast $50 for me to fly the bike with me, but if I had a folder it would be free, and I would have a folder.

Diode100 10-14-09 01:23 AM

Have you actually tried riding this bike yet ?

Visually they have a period charm, but the riding experience may well be an acquired taste, and the money better spent on something newer.

Lalato 10-14-09 07:39 AM

You're near Peoria... which means you're about 3.5 hours north of one of the premier Dahon dealers on the internet (based in Olney, IL). You can get a look at his offerings at http://www.thorusa.com

I think your money would be better spent there than on a Dahon Classic that you have to haggle down from $400.

--sam

brakemeister 10-14-09 07:52 AM

I have one freight damaged ECO here, which needs a new cable a little tlc a bolt and a touchup of paint. Its too much to send it out even in my scratch and dent sale but absolutely no problem when I have the customer here and let hom look at the stuff ...for 250 buckaroos .... plus I have a boardwalk here ready to go for about the same money .... if you buy that collector bike for more than these than you are indeed not listening to everybody on this list ... !!!!

:-) Thor

Morton is west of champaign isnt it ? than its like 2 hour drive we are 50 min from Effingham south
( but dont drive through effingham if you come south on 57 go south on 130 instead way up north )

amckimmey 10-14-09 12:16 PM

So this is the story.

I went in today to attempt to go in and talk them down in price.

*Price Tag*
$699
$599
$399


So I went it, asked to see the bike again, I checked to see if it would count as luggage size in a plane in the bag. It came out to be 55in the max is 62in. So that is good.

I rode the bike again, it rides good, for all i know, I don't know much about folders, but for 16in wheels it was not bad. I could still go pretty fast.

Oh yeah when we put it in the bag. (this is something I was happy for doing) I opened the outside pocket for random stuff. still had the owners manual. The receipt was in the bag, $299

So I asked about droping the price. I think I got it down to $250. I printed off every single page I found on the internet about the bike. saying the price was $300 new. it being sold for $100 right now used all over.

along with other dahon folding bikes new.

He did try and say you can only get folding bikes for no less the $600. I showed him wrong with about 4 different dahons

We both got upset with each other. It was kindof stupid. Also this was the owner.

I also pointed out that they had a Used Kryptonite for $28 nothing that wrong with that, but It was one that could be picked with a Bic Pen, He actually knew and didn't care.

Im tired now, you guys have a nice day. I dont know if I forgot anything.



Some day I will maybe get a folding bike. maybe a Boardwalk, I like steel. I also like the http://www.rei.com/product/784058Thats what I would like out of a folder I think.

brakemeister 10-14-09 12:37 PM

dont let an idiot bike dealer or whatever he is talk you out of the folder experince.
Why you like steel ? ( I assume cause of some 30 year old bikes made out of alloy when everybody was trying that stuff for the first time ....)


Thor

twentysixtwo 10-14-09 01:09 PM

Hate to slam your LBS but the price he was asking was out of line.

I have a Dahon Impulse which is a more recent / better design with better components (Aluminum wheels, nicer tires, 7 speed with V brakes and gripshift, etc)

It was NOS on Fleabay 8 years ago for $250 delivered.

Get a folder - they are fantastic on trips. I'd pass on this one unless you can get it with all the accessories for $200 or less

amckimmey 10-14-09 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brakemeister (Post 9857359)
dont let an idiot bike dealer or whatever he is talk you out of the folder experince.
Why you like steel ? ( I assume cause of some 30 year old bikes made out of alloy when everybody was trying that stuff for the first time ....)


Thor

I like the ride quality of steel, but i guess in a folding bike I don't think you would notice. I don't care for the wait.(They can Be just as light) and aluminum tubes kind of look ugly to me but there shape is what helps with the strength.

He didn't talk me out of it. I just don't have that much money at the time for a new one.(also I don't know how much I would uses it.) I work 1mile from my job. Don't travel much. Plan to start I hope.

I'll keep looking at saving, maybe a Broadway for the price, and convenience, I would like a internal speed kind of though.

amckimmey 10-14-09 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twentysixtwo (Post 9857579)
Hate to slam your LBS but the price he was asking was out of line.

I don't consider it my LBS, Its a LBS 12miles from my house, I never actually go there, and probably never will again, everything is over priced, and they know it.

My LBS is much nicer sell way better brands, has 2 super smart older mechanic(a place where age is a good thing) 1 of witch builds frames when he has time. and gives me great discounts on everything always, most the time free service, or a bring them a food from my work.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 AM.