Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dual folding pedals

    ..
    Last edited by kamtsa; 01-24-10 at 11:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While playing with my favorite search engine I stumbled upon these pedals:

    pedal1.png

    pedal2.png


    More figures and a description can be found here:

    http://www.google.com/patents?id=66W...age&q=&f=false

    The inventor claims that this design is stronger than conventional folding pedals.

    The patent is owned by VP Components http://www.vpcomponents.com and seems to be in production (see sec 25 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGDr6f7MhE ).

    Anybody seen these pedals in person or knows where they can be purchased?

    (I remember seeing these pedals mentioned in this forum but the forum search did not work for me).

    Thanks,

    Kam
    Last edited by kamtsa; 01-24-10 at 11:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Hooligan Abneycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!
    My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3
    Posts
    1,431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw those on a Dahon (hm, I think it was a Mu XL) at United Cycle in Edmonton, AB just the other day. I toyed with them for a minute, and thought they were interesting, but didn't analyze them too much. Since i'm going back there soon, i'll give you a more detailed impression on them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
    While playing with my favorite search engine I stumbled upon these pedals:

    pedal1.png

    pedal2.png


    More figures and a description can be found here:

    http://www.google.com/patents?id=66W...age&q=&f=false

    The inventor claims that this design is stronger than conventional folding pedals.

    The patent is owned by VP Components http://www.vpcomponents.com and seems to be in production (see sec 25 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGDr6f7MhE ).

    Anybody seen these pedals in person or knows where they can be purchased?

    (I remember seeing these pedals mentioned in this forum but the forum search did not work for me).

    Thanks,

    Kam
    I've got a new set of those pedals here.. I haven't mounted them to anything yet.. want to adapt some Powergrips to them first.. many other things in the fire to attend to before I play with them though... they do look nice.. you can find them on Ebay pretty cheap..

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abneycat View Post
    Saw those on a Dahon (hm, I think it was a Mu XL) at United Cycle in Edmonton, AB just the other day. I toyed with them for a minute, and thought they were interesting, but didn't analyze them too much. Since i'm going back there soon, i'll give you a more detailed impression on them.
    They are VP F-80s ... Here are they are listed on their Website

  6. #6
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    They are VP F-80s ... Here are they are listed on their Website
    They look very nice indeed and even have reflectors.



    Are the ones from EBay originals or cheap clones?

    Kam

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
    They look very nice indeed and even have reflectors.



    Are the ones from EBay originals or cheap clones?

    Kam
    They have a VP stamp and come out of a VP box.. I'd venture they are the real deal.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a standard component on more expensive Strida models. I have a pair and am quite happy with them. Since it's bi-directional, when folding the pedal you don't have to figure out to which side to bend. The silver colored one can be found on eBay for cheap. But if you'd like it in (very cool) black anodized finish, the only way to get it in the US that I know of is getting it through Areaware—can be expensive.

  9. #9
    It's got electrolytes! chucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset
    Posts
    1,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the advantage of these pedals? Are the lighter or narrower than other folding pedals?

  10. #10
    in cog neato itsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those look slick. Slippery even.
    I have the heart of a young boy. I got it on eBay.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Lalato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bay Area and Sacramento
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Tikit
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmoot View Post
    Those look slick. Slippery even.
    That's what I was thinking. Anyone with experience with these care to talk to about their gripping ability?

  12. #12
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fwd-bwd View Post
    The silver colored one can be found on eBay for cheap. But if you'd like it in (very cool) black anodized finish, the only way to get it in the US that I know of is getting it through Areaware—can be expensive.
    Indeed they are listed on the Areaware site, both colors.

    http://www.areaware.com/proddetail.a...15&subCatID=81
    http://www.areaware.com/proddetail.a...15&subCatID=81

    It says that the designers is Mark Sanders. Interesting. He is definitly not the inventor but maybe the industrial designer.

    Kam

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalato View Post
    Anyone with experience with these care to talk to about their gripping ability?
    From my experience, they are quite good for commuting purposes. It may not be suitable for heavier uses in wet conditions. For that, you probably need high-end quick release pedals instead of folding ones anyway.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Lalato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bay Area and Sacramento
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday Tikit
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! $80 on the Areaware site. If I were in the market, I would definitely go the eBay route.

    fwd-bwd... thanks for the info.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Amuro Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    My Bikes
    A-bike, Strida & ,etc.
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
    Indeed they are listed on the Areaware site, both colors.

    http://www.areaware.com/proddetail.a...15&subCatID=81
    http://www.areaware.com/proddetail.a...15&subCatID=81

    It says that the designers is Mark Sanders. Interesting. He is definitly not the inventor but maybe the industrial designer.

    Kam
    I've written an e-mail to Mark Sanders for asking about this. Here is his reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sanders
    Hi Amuro,
    No I didn't design those ! - I think Areaware made a mistake.But a Dutch friend of mine Han Goes, was a consultant on the design.
    I think Wen-Hwa is just the VP owner or a manager there.
    best
    Mark
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

    Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
    http://www.foldingforum.com/forum

  16. #16
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,185
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brompton's folding pedal, which is on the left, the side most people carry the bike, when folded.
    It is robust , offers a good shoe grip, and folds to a low profile.

    you can order a different threaded core plug, it uses a large sized industrial sealed bearing,
    the plug fits in the ID of the bearing.
    and then one can use the same pedal on the other side,
    but that's the side the front wheel folds onto,
    so is not required on those bikes.
    http://www.foldabikes.com/PriceListHTML/Pedal.html

  17. #17
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer MKS

  18. #18
    Senior Member Chop!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cymru (Wales)
    My Bikes
    GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went for a ride with Mark Sanders recently, he had these pedals on his 'Mark Sanders Limited Edition' Strida, he said that he wasn't that impressed with them, grip, was indeed an issue.
    A to Z of Folding Bikes, Designers, Sellers, Accessories, Forums, Meetings, Publications
    My bicycle site
    My Microcar & alternate energy vehicle site.
    Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
    Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •