Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-10, 01:38 AM   #1
miamimike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting--Bike Friday NWT Frame(BB) Breaks On South American Tour(not mine)

Thought this may be of interest to some here on this Folding Forum. Seems like BF is always placed as a "Cut Above" many of the current manufactured Folding Bike Brands but even the perceived "Best" can fail as this poster ( Mel) can attest to on his South American Tour. I follow his interesting Blog on Crazyguysonabike.com and what a place for it to break ! Anyone know if these BF frames are US made in their Oregon factory or imported from Asia?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=140777&v=p

Last edited by miamimike; 03-16-10 at 01:40 AM. Reason: sp
miamimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 03:29 AM   #2
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,760
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
AFAIK BF makes all their own frames in the USA. At least BF is shipping him another frame. Try that with most any other brand and you would be SOL.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 05:13 AM   #3
Diode100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I would imagine they would be keen to get the damaged frame back to the factory to find out out what happened.
Diode100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 05:14 AM   #4
Diode100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London
Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I would imagine they would be keen to get the damaged frame back to the factory to find out what had happened.
Diode100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 08:30 AM   #5
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
AFAIK BF makes all their own frames in the USA. At least BF is shipping him another frame. Try that with most any other brand and you would be SOL.

Aaron
hmmm most any .... is the key here .....
I mailed a frame last year, which was run over by a bus ...
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 10:01 AM   #6
ro-monster
Senior Member
 
ro-monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes: Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are videos online showing Bike Friday's manufacturing process and facilities. Everything shown is in Oregon.
ro-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 10:53 AM   #7
kamtsa
Senior Member
 
kamtsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro-monster View Post
There are videos online showing Bike Friday's manufacturing process and facilities. Everything shown is in Oregon.
Interesting, parts 1,4 are blocked by YouTube for copyright reasons.

http://community.bikefriday.com/factorytour

Kam
kamtsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 12:05 PM   #8
edwong3
Senior Member
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not an expert on the matter but I believe the perceived high status of BF has to do more with the company itself, their customer service, and how they back their products as another poster pointed out that a replacement frame was shipped to this unfortunate NWT owner. Plus the company is located right here in the USA (State of Oregon).

I have seen many BF's, mostly NWT, and don't really see any inherent superiority of quality or performance over any other mid to high end makers. Don't get me wrong, the bikes are well made but nothing groundbreaking. Just my personal opinion, so BF owners, please don't get upset with me.

That said, I'm glad that the issue is being addressed with this NWT owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimike View Post
Thought this may be of interest to some here on this Folding Forum. Seems like BF is always placed as a "Cut Above" many of the current manufactured Folding Bike Brands but even the perceived "Best" can fail as this poster ( Mel) can attest to on his South American Tour. I follow his interesting Blog on Crazyguysonabike.com and what a place for it to break ! Anyone know if these BF frames are US made in their Oregon factory or imported from Asia?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=140777&v=p
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 04:49 PM   #9
feijai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes:
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
Interesting, parts 1,4 are blocked by YouTube for copyright reasons.
Probably because Lynette used the music "Showroom Dummies".
feijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 01:14 AM   #10
gdlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ludwigshafen
Bikes: New World Tourist
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow!!! I am sacare now...
gdlerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 07:38 AM   #11
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's interesting to note that his trailer was also damaged or breaking earlier in the trip. I was actually reading this guy's entries a couple of weeks ago.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 03:42 PM   #12
Foldable Two
Senior Member
 
Foldable Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger
Posts: 1,319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Journeys like this take their toll on bicycles. There was an article in the paper about a local man who had had to pause in his "around the world" ride because the trip has worn out his bike and his other equipment, too. He now needs to earn more money to buy new stuff.

I think this NWT owner is meeting much the same fate. That trailer hooks to an air hose type fitting at the back of left of the rear triangle and as such would torque the BB severely in many situations and on rough roads, too.

What other folder Co. is going to send you a new frame during your SA trip, let alone, what other bicycle co. would do it.
Foldable Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 03:17 AM   #13
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldable Two View Post
I think this NWT owner is meeting much the same fate. That trailer hooks to an air hose type fitting at the back of left of the rear triangle and as such would torque the BB severely in many situations and on rough roads, too.
Walter told me, when I ordered my NWT last year, that he knew of someone whose trailer went across Australia with no problems.

Do you think that it's the trailer's fault in this case?
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 06:21 AM   #14
gdlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ludwigshafen
Bikes: New World Tourist
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldable Two View Post
Journeys like this take their toll on bicycles. There was an article in the paper about a local man who had had to pause in his "around the world" ride because the trip has worn out his bike and his other equipment, too. He now needs to earn more money to buy new stuff.

I think this NWT owner is meeting much the same fate. That trailer hooks to an air hose type fitting at the back of left of the rear triangle and as such would torque the BB severely in many situations and on rough roads, too.

What other folder Co. is going to send you a new frame during your SA trip, let alone, what other bicycle co. would do it.
Hi
well I know that other bikes companys has sended a new frame to people they were travelling,I think also they don t want us talking every where about bad stoff anyway.I contacted the guy and he told me was not so easy to get a new frame...
I think anyway that the BF trailers there no so good for dirty roads that the reason I am buying a Carry Freedomn Y large
Safe ride
gdlerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 08:00 AM   #15
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlerner View Post
I think anyway that the BF trailers there no so good for dirty roads that the reason I am buying a Carry Freedomn Y large
Are you going to put the Samsonite suitcase on top of this trailer?
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 12:51 PM   #16
gdlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ludwigshafen
Bikes: New World Tourist
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont think so,but why do you ask.I think is possible but will be more heavy
gdlerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 07:19 PM   #17
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's because the BF trailer is normally used (so far as I know) to also haul the Samsonite suitcase that a BF rider packs the bike in. I had a much closer look at the Carry Freedom website and the Y Large should be able to haul the suitcase.

I'm a bit worried about Carry Freedom though, their site hasn't been updated in years!
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 PM.