Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    SRAM DUAL DRIVE 3x9 or Sturmey Archer 8 speed IGH on BIKE FRIDAY

    hi all,

    will this work on my Bike Friday Tikit - SRAM 3x9 Dual Drive or SA 8 speed IGH. has anyone done any gear upgrades on their Tikit ? the curious side of me is acting up again. but in all honesty since i got a good deal on my TIKIT i am thinking of changing the gearings. my wife told me that this will be my last bike upgrade - unless i hit the lotto. so i might as well make it the best TIKIT out there...

    TIA,
    vic

  2. #2
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,240
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    hi all,

    will this work on my Bike Friday Tikit - SRAM 3x9 Dual Drive or SA 8 speed IGH. has anyone done any gear upgrades on their Tikit ? the curious side of me is acting up again. but in all honesty since i got a good deal on my TIKIT i am thinking of changing the gearings. my wife told me that this will be my last bike upgrade - unless i hit the lotto. so i might as well make it the best TIKIT out there...

    TIA,
    vic
    It will depend on your preference and the style of riding you do. Me? I would go with the 8 speed Alfine, but I much prefer IGH over the more conventional hubs. I would also consider waiting a bit until the new 11 speed Alfine is available. BTW nothing wrong with a SRAM Dual drive, just not my preference.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tikit works great with IGH and Dual Drive and in fact Bike Friday sells versions with each (the Season tikit and Travel tikit respectively). However if you have a standard tikit -- as opposed to one of these -- it will have vertical dropouts. This means installing an IGH will require a chain tensioner.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feijai View Post
    The tikit works great with IGH and Dual Drive and in fact Bike Friday sells versions with each (the Season tikit and Travel tikit respectively). However if you have a standard tikit -- as opposed to one of these -- it will have vertical dropouts. This means installing an IGH will require a chain tensioner.
    do you think there will be problem folding the tikit2 with the clickbox. i checked online and the sturmey archer 8 speed is on sale for $120+ compare to nexus which is more than $189 and sram dual drive is about $384. one of the guy at bikefriday forum mentioned that the sturmey archer has some issues so that may be the reason in price difference. basically i want wider gears on my tikit as i live in a hilly area and would be nice to think that i've got available gears in case i need them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the 8 speed from your Mu Xl.
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    do you think there will be problem folding the tikit2 with the clickbox.
    Not that I know of: After all, BF sells the Travel Tikit, which has Dual Drive on it. I do know you have to take a bit of care when packing the bike with the clickbox (see around 3:40). Call BF up and talk to them.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  8. #8
    Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Posts
    3,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to go with the SA8, I have a nearly new one that I'll make you an irresistable offer on...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
    that would be a nice one. i heard good review about it. but price is so much high. i know that shimano is coming out with a new alfine 11-speed hub this september 2010 as an indirect competitor to Rohloff 14 speed hub. and from what i have been reading, the price is in the neighborhood of $400 ++.

    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...hub-gear-24930

    http://travellingtwo.com/3856

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    do you think there will be problem folding the tikit2 with the clickbox. i checked online and the sturmey archer 8 speed is on sale for $120+ compare to nexus which is more than $189 and sram dual drive is about $384. one of the guy at bikefriday forum mentioned that the sturmey archer has some issues so that may be the reason in price difference. basically i want wider gears on my tikit as i live in a hilly area and would be nice to think that i've got available gears in case i need them.
    He/she might be referring to the old Sturmey Archer 8 hub. I got the new (w) hub and have ridden it for about 200 miles without any issues. The only con I find is that the hub sounds like a coffee grinder in gear 4, whereas the Nexus 8 red band hub is silent in all gears. This hub might work very well in a Tikit with double chainring as you will be able to get very high and low gears.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joako View Post
    He/she might be referring to the old Sturmey Archer 8 hub. I got the new (w) hub and have ridden it for about 200 miles without any issues. The only con I find is that the hub sounds like a coffee grinder in gear 4, whereas the Nexus 8 red band hub is silent in all gears. This hub might work very well in a Tikit with double chainring as you will be able to get very high and low gears.
    thanks joako. i also have a dahon mu xl that has the nexus premium 8 speed hub and i love it. that's the reason i am wanting to go for the IGH on my tikit, too. i also happened to have a 53/39T crank lying around so i might install that too. we'll see how it goes.

  12. #12
    Senior Member RobHalligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need a horizontal drop-out for an internal hub. Bike Friday developed new styles of dropouts about a year about that seem to be interchangeable. I'm not sure if older Tikits would take the swappable drop-outs. Walter blogged about it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobHalligan View Post
    You'll need a horizontal drop-out for an internal hub. Bike Friday developed new styles of dropouts about a year about that seem to be interchangeable. I'm not sure if older Tikits would take the swappable drop-outs. Walter blogged about it.
    my tikit has a vertical dropout so you're saying that i can't really do this on my tikit ?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    my tikit has a vertical dropout so you're saying that i can't really do this on my tikit ?
    You can, but with a chain tensioner or with a magic gear . I would rather get the modular dropouts from BF as it is easier and looks "cleaner".

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joako View Post
    . I would rather get the modular dropouts from BF as it is easier and looks "cleaner".
    i am quite confused with this new modular dropouts - with my existing set-up, would i just be able to call BF and order the modular dropouts and screw it to my existing drop ?

  16. #16
    Senior Member RobHalligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im confused too. I've read Walter's blog pieces and watched Bike Friday video. The good thing is Bike Friday is very responsive to customers. I'd think pinging Walter would be the best way to clarify.
    Last edited by RobHalligan; 05-16-10 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling

  17. #17
    Senior Member GeorgePaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama
    Posts
    429
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    i am quite confused with this new modular dropouts - with my existing set-up, would i just be able to call BF and order the modular dropouts and screw it to my existing drop ?
    Probably not. The rear triangle has to be able to accept them. For example, my Season Tikit can. "Just the tikit" can't.
    Last edited by GeorgePaul; 05-17-10 at 12:14 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2004 Surly LHT, 1961 Ideor, et al.
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't comment on this on a Bike Friday, I have an Airnimal Joey with 24 inch wheels. Getting a very wide gearing range with very low gears for steep hills was important to me. I recently installed a Dual Drive and have an SRAM 8 speed 11-32 cassette. I switched to a 39t chainring. My gearing now ranges from 20.7 up to 112.1 gear inches which was what I was looking for. I used the bike for several years with the 11-32 gearing but without the Dual Drive, it did not give the the range I wanted.

  19. #19
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    i am quite confused with this new modular dropouts - with my existing set-up, would i just be able to call BF and order the modular dropouts and screw it to my existing drop ?


    Your Tikit won't work with the modular dropouts. You would have had to order the bike with them from the start. It's possible [I assume] to send your Tikit back for a retro-fit, but the cost may not be worth it.

    You can run an IGH with your existing Tikit, but you'll need to run a chain tensioner. The photo above is of my BF NWT with a Nexus 8 and a Surly chain tensioner. Your Tikit will require something similar.

    If you read Alex W's Tikit pages he setup his Tikit with a SRAM IGH and was able to get away without a chain tensioner by using a "magic" gear ratio that provided just the right chain tension. You can always try and replicate his install and see if you can make it work.

    Although I would prefer the cleaner IGH setup with a set of horizontal/sliding dropouts...the use of a chain tensioner isn't a big deal and will give you 95% of the benefits of the dedicated Season Tikit tensionerless setup. If I was adding an IGH to my Tikit I'd just use a chain tensioner and not worry about it.
    Last edited by vik; 05-21-10 at 12:44 PM.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post


    Your Tikit won't work with the modular dropouts. You would have had to order the bike with them from the start. It's possible [I assume] to send your Tikit back for a retro-fit, but the cost may not be worth it.

    You can run an IGH with your existing Tikit, but you'll need to run a chain tensioner. The photo above is of my BF NWT with a Nexus 8 and a Surly chain tensioner. Your Tikit will require something similar.

    If you read Alex W's Tikit pages he setup his Tikit with a SRAM IGH and was able to get away without a chain tensioner by using a "magic" gear ratio that provided just the right chain tension. You can always try and replicate his install and see if you can make it work.

    Although I would prefer the cleaner IGH setup with a set of horizontal/sliding dropouts...the use of a chain tensioner isn't a big deal and will give you 95% of the benefits of the dedicated Season Tikit tensionerless setup. If I was adding an IGH to my Tikit I'd just use a chain tensioner and not worry about it.
    thanks vik. man, your bike looks so clean. do you clean it everyday ?

  21. #21
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    thanks vik. man, your bike looks so clean. do you clean it everyday ?
    I wish! No I take lots of detailed shots when I first build a bike and use those to illustrate posts. The bike is not that clean anymore...
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •