Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    --End Transmission-- Klaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Response Sport '07
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Folding Pedals with Pins?

    I'm considering getting a folder & am very happy with the MTB I have that has Diamondback Bigfoot pedals... does anyone make a similar folding pedal with wider surface area and/or pins? Or at least better traction than basic platform folders? Closest I can see to an option is MKS FD-6's which still look pretty narrow but a little grippier.

  2. #2
    --End Transmission-- Klaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Response Sport '07
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one? Not even suggestion for wider folding pedals or one's with best grip?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaw View Post
    Closest I can see to an option is MKS FD-6's which still look pretty narrow but a little grippier.
    i also have MKS FD-6's on my Tikit and i would say it is ok but i heard that when it's raining the grip is not so good. although i haven't really tried it when it's raining. you might want to try the MKS quick release instead of the folding pedals check the below link.

    http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Promenade-...263460&sr=1-29

    i know that this is used prominently on most dahon road folding bikes.

  4. #4
    BWP
    BWP is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked long and hard for a sturdy + grippy folding pedal. After some trial and error I gave up and bought the quick release MKS Promenade/Grip King pedals mentioned by the previous poster. Huge platform, good clearance, but one big disappointment -- with some shoes they were slippery when wet. BUT when modified with track shoe type pins they are fantastic. Carrying them separately is a small hassle but on the other hand the profile of the crank fitting is much smaller than a folded pedal. See the Rivendell site for guidance on adding pins. Rivendell also sells pins but any small track pins and some Loctite should work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member badrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out the Wellgo QRD M079. These aren't folding, but they are quick release and have a few pins that looks like they will provide a bit more grip than the MKS.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

    Clipboard01..jpg

    I have the MKS EZY quick release on my MuSL, and in the wet they are absolutely useless. I just screwed on a pair of trimmed down toeclips and that helped reduce the slipping.

  6. #6
    --End Transmission-- Klaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Response Sport '07
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWP View Post
    I looked long and hard for a sturdy + grippy folding pedal. After some trial and error I gave up and bought the quick release MKS Promenade/Grip King pedals mentioned by the previous poster. Huge platform, good clearance, but one big disappointment -- with some shoes they were slippery when wet. BUT when modified with track shoe type pins they are fantastic. Carrying them separately is a small hassle but on the other hand the profile of the crank fitting is much smaller than a folded pedal. See the Rivendell site for guidance on adding pins. Rivendell also sells pins but any small track pins and some Loctite should work.
    Ah so they have pin slots you can add to them? I'd need them because I'm usually wearing leather shoes with a flat sole so I like having pins, and a wider platform would be perfect. I don't mind carrying the pedals.

    Thanks for all the replies!

  7. #7
    --End Transmission-- Klaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Response Sport '07
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badrad View Post
    check out the Wellgo QRD M079. These aren't folding, but they are quick release and have a few pins that looks like they will provide a bit more grip than the MKS.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

    Clipboard01..jpg


    I have the MKS EZY quick release on my MuSL, and in the wet they are absolutely useless. I just screwed on a pair of trimmed down toeclips and that helped reduce the slipping.


    Hmm those Wellgo QR look to have the best grips I've seen, thanks.

    Also found these which apparently the A-bike uses:

    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/26...ng_pedals.html
    Last edited by Klaw; 05-10-10 at 08:21 AM. Reason: adding link

  8. #8
    Senior Member badrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaw View Post
    Hmm those Wellgo QR look to have the best grips I've seen, thanks.

    Also found these which apparently the A-bike uses:

    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/26...ng_pedals.html
    i've bought a couple sets of those at the local Sport's Junkie for $7 a pair. They are heavy, but okay and convenient, but I've already broken one - the nylon/plastic just isn't all that strong, and i also got some gunk stuck in which i figure prevented the spring from fully engaging back, so i slipped off the bike one time when it disengaged.
    Also when they are wet, the plastic nubs for grip are pretty much useless too. I usually wear my converse while riding, and when i am on the bikes with these pedals I really have to be careful not to push forward on them else I'm off pedal.
    Last edited by badrad; 05-10-10 at 10:06 AM.

  9. #9
    JRA. BikEthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a pair of MKS FD-6 pedals on my Bike Friday Season Tikit. They are slick in general and very slick when it's raining and the bearings on the left pedal died quite quick (about a year and a half of use after being repacked last season). So I'd steer away from them. Frankly I realized I don't use the folding mechanism on my pedals much at all so I decided to put on a pair of full on MKS touring pedals due to large wide feet. They've been great so far.
    2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
    2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
    2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
    2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)

  10. #10
    BWP
    BWP is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaw View Post
    Ah so they have pin slots you can add to them? I'd need them because I'm usually wearing leather shoes with a flat sole so I like having pins, and a wider platform would be perfect. I don't mind carrying the pedals.

    Thanks for all the replies!
    Strictly the pedals aren't designed for pins but the design of the raised bumps they have makes it is very easy to drill holes to take pins. A hand drill, 8 to 10 pins per side = 32 to 40 pins total, some Loctite, a socket-end driver, and you're in business.

  11. #11
    --End Transmission-- Klaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Response Sport '07
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWP View Post
    Strictly the pedals aren't designed for pins but the design of the raised bumps they have makes it is very easy to drill holes to take pins. A hand drill, 8 to 10 pins per side = 32 to 40 pins total, some Loctite, a socket-end driver, and you're in business.
    Yeah I can't seem to find anything that impresses me and I might as well stick with my Bigfoot pedals and not worry about the fold... but I suppose I can use the default pedals on the Downtube to attempt a DIY experiment, thanks for the idea.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After doing countless searches I just haven't found anything that seems to fit the bill for a sturdy FOLDING pedal that isn't slippery.

    Actually, the Wellgo metal that came with my Downtube NS (purchased in 2007) was GREAT and lasted for almost 2 1/2 years before the bearings wore out.

    After various searches I bought a replacement "Marwi" pair, the right one broke on my 2nd ride. The dealer replaced it and I rode the pair until the Downtube NS broke last december.

    Bought a brand new Downtube 8H in December 2009. The WELLGO pedals were a different design but grippy. But the exposed bearings corroded after only 2 months and 250 miles!!!

    I don't ask for much -- pedals that aren't slippery in the rain, aren't made of plastic that breaks when climbing my 15% grade hill, and lasts more than a year of normal commuting including in occasional rain.

  13. #13
    JRA. BikEthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MKS EZY come in a variety of models. I've done a bit more research and it looks like the "supreme" is the way to go. The older versions of the QR require plastic safety clips to prevent accidental pedal release. I think I'm going to pick up a pair for my Tikit. I don't know about "Bikemania" as a vendor but that's where I could find them quickly.

    http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDeta..._Superior_Exim

    http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDeta...uperior_Esprit

    These look to have a more traditional cut aluminum cage that should be pretty grippy.


    Quote Originally Posted by badrad View Post
    check out the Wellgo QRD M079. These aren't folding, but they are quick release and have a few pins that looks like they will provide a bit more grip than the MKS.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

    Clipboard01..jpg

    I have the MKS EZY quick release on my MuSL, and in the wet they are absolutely useless. I just screwed on a pair of trimmed down toeclips and that helped reduce the slipping.
    2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
    2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
    2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
    2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)

  14. #14
    Senior Member brommie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Koga Miyata Distance, Airnimal Joey
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for the same thing, foldables with pins, for my Airnimal Joey. Never found them. Did buy some cheap pedals with pins (all in plastic) at Hallfords. So far ( few hunderd km's,some in hilly Austria with some rain) they are good. Would be great if they were easy to remove or foldable . . .
    So I'm not much of help but reading with great interest . . .
    "A trip on my Brommie, -or is it the Airnimal Joey?- makes me smile. . ."

    http://airnimaljoey.blogspot.com/ (English)
    http://plooifiets.blogspot.com/ (Dutch)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/plooifiets/

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it advantageous to just add a toe grip for better grip ? i know that all these MKS pedals can accommodate toe clip.

  16. #16
    Senior Member badrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i put a pair of metal toeclips with the strap section cut off. prevents my converse from slipping, but they scrape concrete and run into curbs when i am walking the bike.

  17. #17
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any one added an extra cage to a set of folding /detachable pedals?
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •