a foray into folders (with questions)
Bought my first folding bike today and I am excited.
Its a generic 1990 italian made 20" folder branded as a peugeot in okay condition that I got for $60.
Upon first riding I noticed some issues.
1. Internal 3 speed SA hub is not locking into gears and won't hit first.
2. Has brand new 1 3/4"knobby tires, unfortuantely I need some narrower slicks as its destined for city.
3. Oh the sizes. 20.8 stem, 24.5 bars, its all gotta go.
4. The brakes are a drag, compressionless housing would help but I think new calipers that don't flex will be the best investment.
1. Complete tear down of the hub and cleaing and greasin leaves the bike shifting better but still not hitting first gear, should I focus on the shifter console?
2. I'm thinking of alex r390s any advice? I have never delved into 20" rims but will likely have my wheel guy cut me some spokes so I can build them myself (on the cheap)
3. This is my big worry, I am thinking of using a bmx seatpost (20.8 with 22.4 clamp section) for a threadless style fork extension, then using 22.2->25.4 shims to fit it for a 1inch threadless stem. Sound safe?
4. Tektro BMX sidepulls? This is last on my list as the current brakes work and will certainly get better with new levers and cables.
Any guidance is much appreciated. Pictures up tomorrow when there is sunlight.
(Also very glad I didn't splurge on the NS-22 folder with 22" wheels, and hence more issues)
P.S. extra kudos for cheap fixes, this is just my bad weather/ no clipless pedals bike.
Edit: link to the catalog on jims website
Last edited by PDXaero; 06-02-10 at 02:15 AM.