Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Old Dahon questions

    Hello
    I've decided after 25 years to get back into riding. After looking around some I decided on a folder but I wanted to keep it on the cheap till I knew folders were for me I found myself a craigslist special a Dahon from the early 90s with a 3 speed. It's pretty decent but it's been sitting for years so the shifter is frozen and the brakes are useless. Anyway my question is, can this old folder be upgraded with newer generation stuff? Like brakes ( these seem to be pretty low quality), seat post, peddles etc.? Any advise or suggestions would be most appreciated. I fix things for a living so I'm open to anything..Thanks for reading

  2. #2
    Senior Member snafu21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Mangroves, UK
    My Bikes
    None.
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pix will be a big help
    - every mile of road has two miles of ditch -

  3. #3
    Senior Member biaddiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes exactly the same bike, except I didn't get a radio..Darn..lol.. It seems to be a nice little bike and I don't mind putting a bit of elbow grease and a few bucks into it to bring it up to snuff. Something tells me folders could get addictive. I could be wrong?

  5. #5
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datatraveler View Post
    Hello
    I've decided after 25 years to get back into riding. After looking around some I decided on a folder but I wanted to keep it on the cheap till I knew folders were for me I found myself a craigslist special a Dahon from the early 90s with a 3 speed. It's pretty decent but it's been sitting for years so the shifter is frozen and the brakes are useless. Anyway my question is, can this old folder be upgraded with newer generation stuff? Like brakes ( these seem to be pretty low quality), seat post, peddles etc.? Any advise or suggestions would be most appreciated. I fix things for a living so I'm open to anything..Thanks for reading
    Before I started buying only new bikes, I used to buy & fixed up decent used older bikes from the 1960s & 1970s for a hobby. I recommend to clean up the bike first to see if grime is the main culprit here. Then buy as as many off-the-shelf parts that will work with your bike providing nothing major is wrong with it. Many folding bikes-especially Dahons-have their own proprietary parts and may prove to be very hard or impossible to find as they age and the corporation introduces newer models. If these special parts are fine, this bike should give you many additional years of enjoyment. And when you are ready to do so, help steer you in the direction of the right folding (or even non folding) bike that will suit you the best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Datatraveler View Post
    Yes exactly the same bike, except I didn't get a radio..Darn..lol.. It seems to be a nice little bike and I don't mind putting a bit of elbow grease and a few bucks into it to bring it up to snuff. Something tells me folders could get addictive. I could be wrong?
    No you are not. As you use your new bike and discover for yourself the best feature of these bike-the ability to fold down into a smaller neat package-you will be finally liberated from the fear of bike theft (my number one reason why I use these bikes only at present). Don't miss out my previous photos & information about using any folding bikes I offer (see below):

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folder Fanatic
    Thank you for your wisdom and thank you for the wealth of information you have posted, folks like you are what makes the web so valuable.. Now I'm getting excited to get into this little guy, this coming weekend I'll do as you suggested give it a good scrubbing and see what I got

  7. #7
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    go over to the Dahon forums as well there is a fellow named Keith who is the resident expert in those and can most likely help immense

    Thor

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thor I'll wonder over there and look for Keith, incidentally I discovered your web store a few days ago. Got a lot of great stuff I have a feeling your going to be hearing from me

  9. #9
    Senior Member biaddiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some good pics from other older Dahon folks:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/dahonclassics/pool/

    for your inspiration! enjoy it!



    Quote Originally Posted by Datatraveler View Post
    Thanks Thor I'll wonder over there and look for Keith, incidentally I discovered your web store a few days ago. Got a lot of great stuff I have a feeling your going to be hearing from me

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link biaddiction. There are some real beauties in there! I'm feeling lucky I found this little guy. Tomorrow it gets a bath and an inspection. Oh a question for you all, there is a little tab welded on the front post just below the reflector, what the heck is it for?

  11. #11
    Senior Member biaddiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is for "fold position". when it is in fold-position, this piece can catch with a spring steel piece on rear seat stay. So the bike kind of in "locking position" for fold. you need to do some adjustment to achieve this. Once you you can used to you will know why and how!


    Quote Originally Posted by Datatraveler View Post
    Thanks for the link biaddiction. There are some real beauties in there! I'm feeling lucky I found this little guy. Tomorrow it gets a bath and an inspection. Oh a question for you all, there is a little tab welded on the front post just below the reflector, what the heck is it for?

  12. #12
    Senior Member biaddiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also found this Taiwanese forums. some of them modify their older dahon Heavily but COOOOOL! ! ! there are 62 pages! enjoy them!

    http://bikeways.com.tw/viewthread.ph...age%3D1&page=1

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow there's some pretty tricked out classics over there! It seems like the classic Dahon is the two wheeled Taiwanese version of the 57 Chevy. I spent most of yesterday scrubbing mine and I must admit it cleaned up good. Now after looking at those pictures I'm thinking Brooks saddle maybe a rear rack oh and a tool roll..geez I'm in trouble

  14. #14
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,111
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep these are the first symptoms of folderitis.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO... folderitis... Yeah I'm coming down with it I just spent the evening pouring over biaddiction links and moved my bike to the living room so I can be inspired

  16. #16
    Senior Member biaddiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once you have done some progress on you folder, don't forget to post some good pics for sharing! ! ! looking forward to see it!


    Quote Originally Posted by Datatraveler View Post
    LMAO... folderitis... Yeah I'm coming down with it I just spent the evening pouring over biaddiction links and moved my bike to the living room so I can be inspired

  17. #17
    Senior Member biaddiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep every part original except tires and tubes and it ride great!

    DSC00077..jpg




    Quote Originally Posted by biaddiction View Post
    once you have done some progress on you folder, don't forget to post some good pics for sharing! ! ! looking forward to see it!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    2009 Downtube Mini
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike can be fixed up to work properly, but I'm not sure what upgrades are possible on an early '90s Dahon.

    You probably need to replace your shifter cable, brake cables, possibly tires if the rubber is cracked. I don't see how the existing brakes would require replacement unless they're broken in some way. You might need brake pads. The entire bike probably needs to be cleaned and lubed.

    If you have your LBS do all that you are probably looking at $60 parts and labor, not including the price of new tires. If you DIY, figure $20 in parts (not including tires), plus a one time investment of $60 in a good housing cutter tool, $20 for a bike multitool (you'll need that anyway) and maybe $100 for a cheap bike stand if you want one. Cheapest way to go is to find a bike mechanic friend or bike coop where you can borrow their tools and do the work.


    Good luck!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    My Bikes
    Dahon Classic 3
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I haven't decided yet if I want the LBS to do the first "tune-up" or not, kinda leaning toward it just so I have a bench mark of the way things should be. I did a major clean up on it and it's in pretty good shape a few scratches here and there but no cracks and no rust, and the tires are surprising good, no rot. As for my goal on it is to leave it pretty much stock, I want to change out the seat, with something with springs like the Brooks Flyer and a rear rack. Oh and just for the bling I would like to do MKS peddles. Assuming I can fit the flyer and the MKSs and I can find a rack. Biaddiction, that little guy of yours is gorgeous! Is the black a respray? it really gives in an elegant appeal. I noticed you have the rack, is it and after market?

  20. #20
    Senior Member biaddiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! the black paint is original paint. After I waxed it up, it just looks like in brand new condition. You are right, the rear cargo rack is original, too. Still looking forward to see pics of your wonderful 3 speed Dahon.


    Quote Originally Posted by Datatraveler View Post
    Thanks guys, I haven't decided yet if I want the LBS to do the first "tune-up" or not, kinda leaning toward it just so I have a bench mark of the way things should be. I did a major clean up on it and it's in pretty good shape a few scratches here and there but no cracks and no rust, and the tires are surprising good, no rot. As for my goal on it is to leave it pretty much stock, I want to change out the seat, with something with springs like the Brooks Flyer and a rear rack. Oh and just for the bling I would like to do MKS peddles. Assuming I can fit the flyer and the MKSs and I can find a rack. Biaddiction, that little guy of yours is gorgeous! Is the black a respray? it really gives in an elegant appeal. I noticed you have the rack, is it and after market?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •