Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is folding Rd bikes better than the unfold one?

    I saw a Ritchey makes a new road bike that is able to fold it. The bike is the standard diamond frame when it is unfold. Why don't the companies make foldable bicycle? Another company who make good folding road bike is Bike Friday. Again, it is just not popular compare to Trek, Cannondale... I wonder why people don't ride the foldable bike since you can easily store it in the four-door sedan automobile or even in your room. Are they given the same comfort and weight as the unfoldable one does? Any ideas?

  2. #2
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been in a situation where I wished I had a folding bike.....and I've been biking for 30+ years...
    The thing is, there's just not a HUGE demand for them.....
    If portability is important, you can always retrofit SS couplers on your favourite bike. But hinges on a racing road or mountain bike?.....no thanks!

    George
    Last edited by roadfix; 09-16-04 at 01:33 PM.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  3. #3
    Senior Member joeprim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northern Neck Tidewater Va.
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were still a pilot flying small planes to airports with no rental car service I would want one. Or even if I wanted to bring one as baggage on comair. It is my impression that they're not as strong per weight, but I don't know it.

    Joe

  4. #4
    floor sleeper
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Here and there in the US
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a really good condition Raleigh Twenty Stowaway on ebay to upgrade and ride. I look forward to putting in my car easily (if I ever clean the car out from all my moving around) and being able to get it upstairs more easily now that I live in what amounts to an attic. And keeping it more compact next to my desk in my seudo-cube, etc... In short... while I have little experience on them, I am a fan at least for commuting.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceGrabber
    I saw a Ritchey makes a new road bike that is able to fold it. The bike is the standard diamond frame when it is unfold. Why don't the companies make foldable bicycle? Another company who make good folding road bike is Bike Friday. Again, it is just not popular compare to Trek, Cannondale... I wonder why people don't ride the foldable bike since you can easily store it in the four-door sedan automobile or even in your room. Are they given the same comfort and weight as the unfoldable one does? Any ideas?
    The Ritchey is a nice bike but it's not a folding bicycle. It's more like a "take a part" folder.

    The folding bike is a commuter bicycle to be used in conjunction with buses and trains. There are plenty of rail and bus systems that will not take a full size bicycle. The Ritchey is more of a traveling bike and not something you would want to take inside the cabin of a bus.

    Smaller wheel folding bikes with 20 or 16 inch wheels are slower than a traditional bike with 700 cc wheels. The folding bike is all about compromise whether it's speed or safty. Bottom line. If you don't need to board trains and buses, there really is no need to have a folding bike.

    I have two folding bikes that I use to board trains. If you have an airplane or a boat, the folding bike is the only way to go.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Forest Park Il
    My Bikes
    Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folders are great for taking on the train fold it bag it ,and take it on as luggage get off at your stop unfold and ride away.The 2005 Dahons look great with 7 speed gear ranges of 34-94 on the boardwalk 7 and 32-96 on the more expensive models such as the speed P8. Those who see no place or need for folders need to think a little harder.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james Haury
    Folders are great for taking on the train fold it bag it ,and take it on as luggage get off at your stop unfold and ride away.The 2005 Dahons look great with 7 speed gear ranges of 34-94 on the boardwalk 7 and 32-96 on the more expensive models such as the speed P8. Those who see no place or need for folders need to think a little harder.
    James....

    I did not say there wasn't a need. What I ment is that if you have no need for multimode transport, airline/boat travel why would you want a compromise?

  8. #8
    Guest
    Guest
    People see me on my Bike Friday and tell me they think the bike will ride slower because I have smaller wheels, or they say that it's such a small bike, but really, the frame is a 49 cm. I always tell them it's about the same size as my road bike, but until I line up both bikes side by side, they just don't believe it. For some reason, they just think the folding bike isn't a "real" bike.

    Koffee

  9. #9
    floor sleeper
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Here and there in the US
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
    The Ritchey is a nice bike but it's not a folding bicycle. It's more like a "take a part" folder.

    The folding bike is a commuter bicycle to be used in conjunction with buses and trains. There are plenty of rail and bus systems that will not take a full size bicycle. The Ritchey is more of a traveling bike and not something you would want to take inside the cabin of a bus.

    Smaller wheel folding bikes with 20 or 16 inch wheels are slower than a traditional bike with 700 cc wheels. The folding bike is all about compromise whether it's speed or safty. Bottom line. If you don't need to board trains and buses, there really is no need to have a folding bike.

    I have two folding bikes that I use to board trains. If you have an airplane or a boat, the folding bike is the only way to go.
    I do believe there are more reasons to have a folder than just boarding mass transit - as you said also, boat and airplane... but also for people tight on space at home or at work ... you can fold it up and put i in your cubicle a lot nicer than a full-size non-folder, plus the very fact that it has smaller wheels makes it more maneuverable (sp?) when carrying in tight spaces - ie up to my attic-like apartment...

  10. #10
    I couldn't car less. jeff williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
    Posts
    4,416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ritchey 'break away' frame is not a folding, reduced frame, it's a pro road frame with a clamp system that detaches the 2 triangles.
    Once the tri's are apart and the wheels of- you can bag it and carry under your arm. The guys stuff is sooo cool, I have a frame welded by him.


    http://www.ritcheylogic.com/bab_home.htm A modest 2500$

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceGrabber
    . Are they given the same comfort and weight as the unfoldable one does? Any ideas?
    I want to answer the question, "Are folding bikes better than unfolding ones" like the Ritchey.

    You would only buy a folding bike for a reason (Airlines, Apartment dwellers, Public Transport) because they tend to have compromises in both riding quality and frame structure.

    The Ritchey is a nice cycle and it could very well replace your primary road bike. It excels in transporting the bike by airline with the hard case that's available. How would this bike compare to other cycles in it's class? Who knows? A Trek 5200 would be lighter and a LightSpeed is probably faster so you should make your decision based not on if the bike can fold but what are your needs. Do you like touring? If so, this may not be the right bike because it's not designed for touring. Do you like to race? You might be able to race the Ritchey but it's not going to be the faster bike off the mark.

    So the question, are folding bikes better than unfolding ones is false. It depends on what your needs are. The Ritchey excels at what it does and that is transporting it along in a hardcase. If you take your bike on airlines and don't like to ride 20' inch wheel folders, this may be your best choice.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Forest Park Il
    My Bikes
    Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno
    Posts
    876
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folders can extend your range and decrease car dependence thus saving money on travel .Perhaps like I do you simply have had enough driving by the weekend with a folder and public transport you can get away from the same old scenery and go someplace different. Check out the BF travel stories on their site

  13. #13
    Guest
    Guest
    I love both my bikes (well, actually... all four of my bikes!). If I need to jump a train or travel abroad, it's the folder bike all the way. If I want to run around town or do my training rides locally, it's my road bike. I'm actually considering the idea of bringing both my bikes with me to Italy next summer. I can't see how I can do without one or the other. Choices, choices...

    Koffee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •