Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Couldn't get to the SF Moulton meet *sulk* .... (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/675616-couldnt-get-sf-moulton-meet-sulk.html)

jur 08-28-10 01:46 AM

Couldn't get to the SF Moulton meet *sulk* ....
 
...So I bought Connie a *folding* luggage trolley!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3533.jpg

About the same as a folding bike right? I mean it has 2 wheels and folds up. :innocent:

jur 08-28-10 01:46 AM

We tested the folding trolley out on this interesting looking load:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3535.jpg

Hmmm, looks promising...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3534.jpg

Well I'll be...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3536.jpg

Yes!!!!!!!!!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3537.jpg

Inside things are looking even better...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3539.jpg

That's definitely a bike in there.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3540.jpg

jur 08-28-10 01:47 AM

Trusty bike mech working to put that lot together...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3542.jpg

Fiddling with the brakes so they don't squeal...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3544.jpg

Could this be mine????

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3546.jpg

Oh poo, no! It is claimed quickly by the real owner.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3545.jpg

She quickly sets off on the maiden voyage.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3548.jpg

Looks like there is no chance of getting this bike, ever.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3547.jpg

jur 08-28-10 01:48 AM

That's good stuff under the claret.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3549.jpg

Patented, too.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3550.jpg

Signature stuff.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3551.jpg

Some old geezer named Alex scribbled on it.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3552.jpg

stevegor 08-28-10 02:52 AM

:eek: I feel sick.... with envy that is

Jur, I really think it's not fair that you guys have such good bikes, I counsel you to donate them to the "Stevegor wants another Moulton fund"

I am happy to provide a pick up service...... tomorrow OK?

I admire your choice of bicycles, outstanding.

ro-monster 08-28-10 03:02 AM

What a beautiful bike!

lexm 08-28-10 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevegor (Post 11368880)
I admire your choice of bicycles, outstanding.

+1!

mulleady 08-28-10 04:45 AM

Congrats for Connie!

Quote:

Jur, I really think it's not fair that you guys have such good bikes, I counsel you to donate them to the "Stevegor wants another Moulton fund"
We can do a collection and donate a miniature replica for Gor! :D

SesameCrunch 08-28-10 08:21 AM

You are full of surprises, Jur! Congratulations to Connie!!

Do let us know how the TSR compares with your APB. Also, what's going to happen to Connie's Reach?

BruceMetras 08-28-10 08:52 AM

Wowee!!! that Connie is a lucky gal! ... I think there is a method to your madness though .. With the inherent load carrying capabiities of the Moulton, you're going to want her to carry some of your load on the next tour .:thumb: .... let's see if I have this right, the couple that rides Moultons together, stays together ..:)

IslandHopper 08-28-10 09:30 AM

There back to 531 now - I'm so jealous mine's with 525

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 11368838)
That's good stuff under the claret.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_3549.jpg


jur 08-28-10 09:55 AM

That's actually a brand new APB, not a TSR. Technically same model frame as mine.

However, this is a much later make, from just before the TSR was introduced, and the quality of Connie's APB is hugely improved over mine - chalk and cheese, as Michael Kater, our Aussie Moulton man puts it. Couple of those improvements are the frame material - whereas mine is chro-moly or whatever cheap gas pipe Pashley had lying out the back, hers is Reynolds 531 - stronger and lighter; AFAIK even the current TSRs are not 531 any longer, only the AMs are as far as my limited knowledge goes. The welding on mine is like blobs of chewing gum, on hers the brazing is, well, perfect. There are other little improvements as well all over. It does not have the unified rear triangle of the TSR; not having ridden a TSR I can't say how much of an improvement that brings; what I can say, is that I don't experience any pedal bob that I am aware of so I'm not sure how important that improvement is.

Michael has another of those new APBs, in black, I am feeling like getting one for myself as well. He asked me $1800 for it. Connie initially chose the black in advance but on seeing the claret one in the flesh, instantly changed her mind.

mulleady 08-28-10 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 11369689)
That's actually a brand new APB, not a TSR. Technically same model frame as mine.

However, this is a much later make, from just before the TSR was introduced, and the quality of Connie's APB is hugely improved over mine - chalk and cheese, as Michael Kater, our Aussie Moulton man puts it. Couple of those improvements are the frame material - whereas mine is chro-moly or whatever cheap gas pipe Pashley had lying out the back, hers is Reynolds 531 - stronger and lighter; AFAIK even the current TSRs are not 531 any longer, only the AMs are as far as my limited knowledge goes. The welding on mine is like blobs of chewing gum, on hers the brazing is, well, perfect. There are other little improvements as well all over. It does not have the unified rear triangle of the TSR; not having ridden a TSR I can't say how much of an improvement that brings; what I can say, is that I don't experience any pedal bob that I am aware of so I'm not sure how important that improvement is.

Michael has another of those new APBs, in black, I am feeling like getting one for myself as well. He asked me $1800 for it. Connie initially chose the black in advance but on seeing the claret one in the flesh, instantly changed her mind.

There are 2 reasons to get the black one:

1) The sheer quality and you only live once.

2) It will make Stevegor more jealous lol!

Dynocoaster 08-28-10 11:43 AM

Jur, get yourself a TSR 30.

vmaniqui 08-28-10 12:52 PM

Jur

Good luck on taking connie's hand off the moulton.

puppypilgrim 08-28-10 01:05 PM

Superb Jur! Superb! Please congratulate Connie on her new bike. The BF Folding Community is justifiably happy and proud. Sometimes I think we're nothing more than Moulton and Bike Friday groupies but then I realize we're just stupidly passionate about the kind of bicycles we love. :-)

mulleady 08-28-10 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppypilgrim (Post 11370380)
Superb Jur! Superb! Please congratulate Connie on her new bike. The BF Folding Community is justifiably happy and proud. Sometimes I think we're nothing more than Moulton and Bike Friday groupies but then I realize we're just stupidly passionate about the kind of bicycles we love. :-)


Ahem! Bromptons too :-)

stevegor 08-28-10 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulleady (Post 11369753)
There are 2 reasons to get the black one:

2) It will make Stevegor more jealous lol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulleady (Post 11370440)
Ahem! Bromptons too :-)

1: Now I'm in a real quandary, do I sell my motorcycle and buy a new racing bike and get that other Moulton Jur is talking about before he does, or...........
should I be satisfied with my own *menagerie?

* Menagerie (say me-naja-ree) noun
a) a collection of wild or strange animals, as in a circus.
b) the place where they are kept, such as a zoo
[FRENCH]

2. What's a BROMPTON? :p

Dynocoaster 08-28-10 06:18 PM

Isnt a brompton something that you have with tea at tea time? :-]

SesameCrunch 08-28-10 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 11369689)
That's actually a brand new APB, not a TSR. Technically same model frame as mine.

Sorry for mis-identifying the bike, it was early morning and I was trying to get out of the house to get to the SF Moulton Meetup.

As a special atonement, here is your long awaited photo of the Bridgeston Moulton separated.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...paratedBSM.jpg

:)

coolio 08-28-10 07:21 PM

Congrats!

Can't wait to get the full review.

In particular, what's the weight of the bike (w/o any accesories)? How's the performance of the front fork? Is it adjustable? Anyway to get these on sale?

lexm 08-28-10 08:14 PM

New APBs? Howd'ya swing that (asks the newbie with the Moulton jones)?

jur 08-28-10 09:01 PM

Don't worry, I also wondered - it's new old stock. It's not that long ago when the APBs were retired and the TSRs introduced (2005). Moulton stock moves quite slowly, at least here in Oz.

jur 08-28-10 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SesameCrunch (Post 11371756)
As a special atonement, here is your long awaited photo of the Bridgeston Moulton separated.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...paratedBSM.jpg

:)

Ah, that's a big rip in space-time restored. :)

lexm 08-28-10 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 11372541)
Moulton stock moves quite slowly, at least here in Oz.

Man, you guys have it all: kangaroos, Aussie Rules, and NOS Moulton APBs. That's it, I'm emigrating. :thumb:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 PM.