Set about modifying my new Raleigh Twenty by replacing the nylon bushing in the headset with a proper bearing assembly to improve the handling and stiffen things up a little as better wheels and better braking is in my future and the thing descends at some pretty high speeds.
All good reasons to do a little upgrade to the stock set up.
Discovered that the workmanship on Raleigh forks was a little lacking so when I took the fork out prepped the crown race seat which should be 26.4 but all the paint they left increased that measure just a little.
I tried replacing the entire headset with a Ritchey thread less and experimented with using the R20 clamp and the locknut to set the tension and found the clamp does not sit on the compression ring as well as I would like (so you can't get a great pre-load setting) and in fitting a spacer found it moved the clamp up just enough to reduce it's effectiveness.
And that clamp needs to be done up really tight whether you run a stock set up or have decided to modify things.
So today I did what I should have done in the first place and took everything apart and cut my head tube down by 9mm and refaced the head tube so the total height reduction was 10mm... which is the depth of the Raleigh setting nut and my 2mm spacer.
Put everything back together and think we have a winner.
And I finally named the new kid after a certain British hotel owner.