Big adventure on little wheels
We're back from our 3 week trip in France with the Bike Fridays and had most wonderful time.
The bikes were folded and unfolded almost daily, carried up and down the stairs, onto the trains and even couple of long distance buses.
All went great except for a few things:
- We had too much baggage and even though the bikes took the weight fine, it was a lot harder to ride and climb than we expected.
- I have developed a clicking sound in my right crank, that I couldn't figure out and just rode with it.
- Hubby has a very annoying squeaking sound when he's riding. Sounds like it's from the seat post, but we couldn't find anything wrong. It's happening with and without luggage on the bike, but wasn't there before the trip.
- When bikes were loaded, gentle pulling up on the seat (to help get it up on the curb for example) resulted in seat post folding. That screw doesn't seem to hold very well.
- I really, really miss the top tube! It was so hard to stop and check the map or take a photo.
- Plescher kickstands we got for the trip weren't very useful. The bike was too heavy to lift it enough to swing the kickstand open (can't pull on the seat to do that). And I was afraid to break it under the weight. It worked well in hotel rooms, on trains, train stations etc., when bikes weren't loaded.
Other than that, the hardest thing was the daily loading and unloading, and dealing with getting to the train, changing platforms (stairs!) etc.
We had some people coming up and asking about bikes, but most looked at us like we were totally crazy. :lol:
I've seen lots of different folders and took some photos for you all. Will post them soon, when I get organized.