Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Extending handlebar reach on a Downtube Nova

    I was wondering if anyone knows of a non-destructive modification to extend the handlebar reach on a downtube nova (via an ahead, adjustable quill stem, or threaded to threadless adapter, etc)

    Here's a picture of what the handlebar assembly looks like:



    The top, height adjustable piece, doesn't seem like it's removable. I took the handlebars off the clamp, and tried to pull that piece all the way up, but there's something preventing it from sliding completely out. I was thinking if I could get that piece off, I could try to find a pipe of the same size, and maybe fit an adjustable quill stem or something similar in it.

    Has anyone done something similar that's applicable to this bike? Any ideas?

    (EDIT for clarification: The goal is to increase the saddle to handlebar distance)
    Last edited by lighto; 11-19-10 at 08:53 PM. Reason: clarification

  2. #2
    Senior Member coolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's been a long week, but I don't understand what you want in the end. Are you too cramped in the cockpit? Do you want to be more stretched out? Do you want adjustable handlebar angles? More height, top to bottom?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolio View Post
    Maybe it's been a long week, but I don't understand what you want in the end. Are you too cramped in the cockpit? Do you want to be more stretched out? Do you want adjustable handlebar angles? More height, top to bottom?
    More stretched out (i.e. a longer saddle to handlebar distance).

  4. #4
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Cycling is for pleasure not penance"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems a bit short. Do you know if they make a longer version?

  6. #6
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's the outer diameter of the top portion of the telescoping part?
    If it's 1" you could slip on a threadless stem with shim.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    what's the outer diameter of the top portion of the telescoping part?
    If it's 1" you could slip on a threadless stem with shim.
    It's 30mm (~1 3/16 in).

  8. #8
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30mm? that's an odd size. How accurate is that measurement? if it was 28.6mm or 29.8mm, there's still hope.

    In any case, you might want to try a tandem stoker stem. The standard size for stoker stems is 27.2mm and 29.8mm, but there are other sizes, like 30.9mm and 31.6mm that can be shimmed.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    30mm? that's an odd size. How accurate is that measurement? if it was 28.6mm or 29.8mm, there's still hope.

    In any case, you might want to try a tandem stoker stem. The standard size for stoker stems is 27.2mm and 29.8mm, but there are other sizes, like 30.9mm and 31.6mm that can be shimmed.
    I think it should be fairly accurate:



    Hm.. tandem stroker stem, interesting. A bit on the pricey side though. I'll keep it in mind.
    Last edited by lighto; 11-19-10 at 11:13 PM. Reason: image not showing correctly

  10. #10
    Senior Member JosephLMonti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would definitely have to make some additional mods, but how about moustache handlebars?

  11. #11
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephLMonti View Post
    You would definitely have to make some additional mods, but how about moustache handlebars?
    Or bull horns ...



    Of course, you have to pay attention to the clamp diameter.

    Alternatively, there are those butterfly trekking bars.



    But do read Tom Deakins' article ...

  12. #12
    Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Posts
    3,843
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the Aber Hallo or similar stem extender. I had the same problem on another folder. This solved it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SesameCrunch View Post
    Another vote for the Aber Hallo or similar stem extender. I had the same problem on another folder. This solved it.
    I was so close to getting one. Then, I installed dropbars and it did it for me. Much cheaper too.

    To the OP, if the Aber Hallo is still too short, try Aber Hallo and Bull Horn bars combo. It might do the trick.

    I know there's a similar product (Nitto?) to the AH that might be longer, but the name scapes me at the moment.

    Good luck.
    "Cycling is for pleasure not penance"

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is the lack of a stem. I have a Downtube and it was unrideable as delivered. Find a stem with the appropriate reach for your size (Im 5'11" and I put on a stem with a 15 degree rise that was 6" long). Both height and body type (long or short waisted) are factors in determining a correct fit. It made all the difference. This seems to be a problem with many folders; some have no stem at all and some a very short one. It might be related to how easily and compactly the bike folds. You may have to shim the stem tube for a correct fit. bertiejo

  15. #15
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aberhallo all the way. The best thing that's happened to non-adjustable folder stems in a long time.


  16. #16
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lighto View Post
    I think it should be fairly accurate:



    Hm.. tandem stroker stem, interesting. A bit on the pricey side though. I'll keep it in mind.
    looks like just a bit under 30mm. I would guess that 29.8mm stem would fit on it.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Control-Tech-25-4...item3f0439dc04
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Control-Tech-31-8...item3361fbad98
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertiejo View Post
    The problem is the lack of a stem. I have a Downtube and it was unrideable as delivered. Find a stem with the appropriate reach for your size (Im 5'11" and I put on a stem with a 15 degree rise that was 6" long). Both height and body type (long or short waisted) are factors in determining a correct fit. It made all the difference. This seems to be a problem with many folders; some have no stem at all and some a very short one. It might be related to how easily and compactly the bike folds. You may have to shim the stem tube for a correct fit. bertiejo
    Would it be possible to post some pictures of what you did to yours?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    Or bull horns ...

    Alternatively, there are those butterfly trekking bars.
    I like the trekking bar, but it just seems very.. crowded.

    The bullhorns and mustache bar look interesting. Is there much difference between bullhorns and just installing bar-ends?

    Also, would I have to replace any of my brake levers or shifter for the bullhorns or mustache bar?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there are differences between the Downtube and the Dahons. But heads up that the Dahon forum have a few threads on this topic: extending reach with a stem.

    forum.dahon.com

    The thread I've read have mentioned Aber Hallo and threadless stems.

  20. #20
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by havm66z View Post
    I'm sure there are differences between the Downtube and the Dahons. But heads up that the Dahon forum have a few threads on this topic: extending reach with a stem.

    forum.dahon.com

    The thread I've read have mentioned Aber Hallo and threadless stems.
    the upper part of telescoping dahon stems is 25.4mm, so a threadless stem with a shim will work on it. The only issue might be the indent on the stem which keeps it from doing a 360.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •