Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-11, 11:17 AM   #1
Fish_man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick release Quill stem ?

I would like my twenty to be fold-able without carrying around any tool's ..... the frame fold is basically quick release anyway and the seatpost is easy enough to convert .... but lowering or removing the stem still need's a tool.

Ive done a google search and cant find any existing solution's .... so I thought I would make one up myself ... but has anyone tried it ?

Can anyone think of any reason why it wouldn't work ?

Bearing in mind it already has a homemade bolt in there because i wasn't able to find one long enough ... so the "danger's" of having homemade bit's on such a crucial area doesn't bother me.
Fish_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:23 PM   #2
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,360
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
I tried running a qr through a quill stem and it seemed to work fine. Once adjusted correctly, it locked down rock solid. Didn't end up using it on the bike I tried it out on, but wouldn't hesitate to use it in the future.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:41 PM   #3
dorkypants
Senior Member
 
dorkypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
what's wi'th 'the weird' u'se o'f apo'strophe's?
dorkypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 01:36 AM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,221
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
If you have access to machine tools a lot is possible , using a QR eccentric
as a method to tighten a wedge quill is a good approach,
but that is a light machine shop project.
got a lathe, drill press and some threading dies , no problem.

If you understand how a hub QR eccentric works,
then machining a new quill Bolt,
that will interface with the wedge at the bottom of your quill stem,
and be tensioned by flopping the lever down.. would be a
fairly straight forward thing..

much simpler, perhaps, just put a bicycle multi tool in your pocket.
loosen allen sockets as needed.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-13-11 at 07:03 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 07:00 AM   #5
Fish_man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
If you have access to machine tools a lot is possible , using a QR eccentric
as a method to tighten a wedge quill is a good approach,
but that is a light machine shop project.
got a lathe, drill press and some threading dies , no problem.

much simpler , just put a bicycle multi tool in your pocket.
loosen allen sockets as needed.
If I was looking for simple I wouldn't be fixing up a twenty .... And besides whilst tools are fine ... I can guarantee that the time I need then most I wont have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
I tried running a qr through a quill stem and it seemed to work fine. Once adjusted correctly, it locked down rock solid. Didn't end up using it on the bike I tried it out on, but wouldn't hesitate to use it in the future.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear . Thanks.
Fish_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 09:52 AM   #6
Quiwi
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Similar question (but perhaps a bit unwise)

Is it possible to QR the handlebar clamp of a threadless clamp? I'd like to be able to quickly rotate some bullhorn handlebars down. I feel like it might be ill advised as there's so much torque on bullhorns.

addendum:
Huh, somehow I didn't find this when I was searching yesterday. I found the that the dahon revolve stem does this exact thing, but it looks like it's designed specifically for dahon steerer tubes (and there's no reach!) Anyone knows if this exists as a threadless clamp?

Last edited by Quiwi; 01-13-11 at 10:00 AM.
Quiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 06:36 PM   #7
chucky
It's got electrolytes!
 
chucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_man View Post
... but has anyone tried it ?
This is a standard feature of the Pacific Cycles Carryme. Conventional folding stem designs are necessitated by larger wheels (and shorter headtubes), but if the wheels are small enough to telescope the stem then I think QR quill is a superior solution (stiffer and more reliable):



Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiwi View Post
Similar question (but perhaps a bit unwise)

Is it possible to QR the handlebar clamp of a threadless clamp? I'd like to be able to quickly rotate some bullhorn handlebars down. I feel like it might be ill advised as there's so much torque on bullhorns.

addendum:
Huh, somehow I didn't find this when I was searching yesterday. I found the that the dahon revolve stem does this exact thing, but it looks like it's designed specifically for dahon steerer tubes (and there's no reach!) Anyone knows if this exists as a threadless clamp?
I've been wanting to try this myself (because I don't like the splitable bars on the Carryme), but haven't gotten around to it.

I figure if it's the right size, you could just thread a QR seatpost bolt into your threadless stem. With a two-bolt stem design and some shims I think it should be possible to make it work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qr_quill.jpg (41.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by chucky; 01-13-11 at 06:44 PM.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 08:09 PM   #8
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,965
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I think there are several solutions in use out there, eg new Reach, and perhaps Airnimal Joey? The new Dahon Atom(?) clamp.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 12:08 AM   #9
itsmoot
in cog neato
 
itsmoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Bikes:
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This fellow has some photos of a diy quick release stem upgrade detailed in Flickr photos. Pretty much as Chucky describes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtwright/3382689033/

Jur, I think Dahon's Andros stem is what you're thinking of, but it would probably be overkill for the op's uses. And also, I recall awhile back someone on Dahon's forums asking about whether it was available aftermarket and they got no response.
itsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 12:21 AM   #10
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,965
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I think the OP wants the QR on the other end of the stem.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 08:46 AM   #11
chucky
It's got electrolytes!
 
chucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmoot View Post
Jur, I think Dahon's Andros stem is what you're thinking of, but it would probably be overkill for the op's uses. And also, I recall awhile back someone on Dahon's forums asking about whether it was available aftermarket and they got no response.
Isn't it only compatible with Dahon T-shaped stem risers? Are Dahon stem risers compatible with nonDahon forks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
I think the OP wants the QR on the other end of the stem.
Yeah I was thinking of putting the QRs on the other end of a stem with a 2 bolt face plate like this:

That way I can slip a straight handlebar out of the stem entirely (front brake only so there's nothing to snag) or the OP could quickly rotate his bullhorn bar.

BTW thanks for posting those other designs; I didn't realize the Reach had a QR quill riser like the Carryme...but I don't believe the Airnimal Joey has anything other than the typical pinch bolt riser:

http://www.calhouncycle.com/productc...&idproduct=978
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 10:02 AM   #12
Quiwi
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whoops, I think I confused everyone.

OP wants a quick release quill stem will the qr skewer running down the length of the stem (into the steerer)

I was looking for a qr on the handlebar clamp (different person)

I think I'll swing by my LBS and dig through their used stems and see what might work. The one chunky posted looks promising.
Quiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 11:05 AM   #13
itsmoot
in cog neato
 
itsmoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Bikes:
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry Jur, I was responding the the first poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_man View Post
I would like my twenty to be fold-able without carrying around any tool's ..... the frame fold is basically quick release anyway and the seatpost is easy enough to convert .... but lowering or removing the stem still need's a tool.
The question about QR'ing the handlebar clamp is post #6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiwi View Post
Similar question (but perhaps a bit unwise)

Is it possible to QR the handlebar clamp of a threadless clamp? I'd like to be able to quickly rotate some bullhorn handlebars down. I feel like it might be ill advised as there's so much torque on bullhorns.
I see now Chucky split his response to address both posts. Sorry, my fault for not recognizing the second half of his reply was about handlebar clamps.

And I assumed you were talking about Dahon's Andros stem, since I've never heard of an Atom stem (and you seemed to indicate your spelling might be wrong). I just did a google search on "Atom Stem" and "Atom Clamp" and the only thing that shows up are clamps for theatre lighting.

And Chucky:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
Isn't it only compatible with Dahon T-shaped stem risers?
For all practical purposes, yes. Although I recall someone jerry-rigging one, I believe it was a non-QR stem intended for Dahon's t-top riser, by using a handlebar stub clamped in the riser. I personally wouldn't consider retrofitting that Andros stem, because even though I'm usually not concerned with weight/bulk, that stem looks like quite a chunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
Are Dahon stem risers compatible with nonDahon forks?
Good question. Never took the one off my old Speed, but I kind of doubt that one would work with a regular fork. Looked like it had an integrated headset, and all the recent small-wheeled Dahon's I've seen look like they use a similiar riser. I could be wrong though, does anyone know for sure?
itsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 12:28 PM   #14
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,221
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Chucky,
Perhaps Have a steel stem fabricated or at least modified so the threads are not directly in aluminum,

as wear and tear will increase the likelihood the treads will strip

will watch as others suggest other premade solutions,
as making stuff is now expected to be offshore.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-14-11 at 12:36 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 09:52 PM   #15
chucky
It's got electrolytes!
 
chucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Chucky,
Perhaps Have a steel stem fabricated or at least modified so the threads are not directly in aluminum,

as wear and tear will increase the likelihood the treads will strip

will watch as others suggest other premade solutions,
as making stuff is now expected to be offshore.
Why should the threads come into play? As I see it the eccentric QR head (for a pinch bolt) just takes up slack, so the threads can stay put, no? Besides, if the threads strip one can always put a steel nut on the back like the Flicker photo above.

But please continue to discuss DIY solutions. Not all of us have the skills for these sorts of modifications nor do we have access to the proper tools, but it'd be nice to learn rather than depend on odd offshore parts.

Last edited by chucky; 01-14-11 at 09:57 PM.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 01:38 PM   #16
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,221
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Thats a threadless stem , topic shifted away from Quill, now?

the levers are running thru the pinch bolts to remove the stem,
as shown in that picture..

for a good example of how to design a durable threaded connection,
in an aluminum part,
Look at QBP's Salsa LipLock seat post binder band clamp,
they use a threaded steel barrel nut,
that will hold the band on the seat post, threads in the harder metal.

+ the barrel nut will rotate in the machined hole, so as to not bind,
as the band closes in size around the top of the frame's seat post.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-15-11 at 01:53 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 05:09 AM   #17
Fish_man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow didn't expect so many responses and Idea's.

Thanks for everyone for the idea's I will bear them in mind.

Just so everyone know's exactly what I'm after ... I already have a home-made extra long quill stem in my twenty with a matching home-made bolt through the middle and I would like to be able to completely remove the stem and handle bar's as that's the only way it will fit in the boot of my g/f's car.

Obviously other solution's to the problem are appreciated but they will have to be pretty good reason's for me to switch over to a thread less system.
Fish_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:47 AM   #18
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,221
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Before they became another import ROC brand name , IRD made a clever quill stem for MTB's
there was a wedge on both ends of an aluminum quill, the steel stem had a tube,
with the same ID as the fork, so loosening the 2 quill wedges let you take out
the quill , the stem would pack nicely, along side the bike , advantage to setups
with cable runs that may be too short to remove a regular quill,by pulling it Up.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 01:00 PM   #19
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Bikes:
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
This is kind of a cludge but why not use a threaded rod instead of the home made bolt. Then you can use a machine handle such as this http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-handles/=am9810 to secure the quill. Or am I completely of base.
Schwinnsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 02:11 PM   #20
Quiwi
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


1st try, no good. (well it probably would be fine for flat bars)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quick_stem.jpg (43.0 KB, 37 views)
Quiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 02:38 PM   #21
chucky
It's got electrolytes!
 
chucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Thats a threadless stem , topic shifted away from Quill, now?

the levers are running thru the pinch bolts to remove the stem,
as shown in that picture..

for a good example of how to design a durable threaded connection,
in an aluminum part,
Look at QBP's Salsa LipLock seat post binder band clamp,
they use a threaded steel barrel nut,
that will hold the band on the seat post, threads in the harder metal.

+ the barrel nut will rotate in the machined hole, so as to not bind,
as the band closes in size around the top of the frame's seat post.
Sure, yeah that's a good way to make durable fixing bolts for aluminum parts, but the question is why would a QR bolt need to be more durable than a regular nonQR bolt? If the threads are in place than we should be able to open and close the QR without the threads moving at all because a seatpost-style QR works by just wedging more material between the (unthreaded) bolt end and the face of the surface the bolt is going into, right? And if we're concerned about threads loosening due to the slop/vibration of tightening and loosening the QR head all the time then a little loctite should keep the threads from moving when the QR is open, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_man View Post
Wow didn't expect so many responses and Idea's.

Thanks for everyone for the idea's I will bear them in mind.

Just so everyone know's exactly what I'm after ... I already have a home-made extra long quill stem in my twenty with a matching home-made bolt through the middle and I would like to be able to completely remove the stem and handle bar's as that's the only way it will fit in the boot of my g/f's car.

Obviously other solution's to the problem are appreciated but they will have to be pretty good reason's for me to switch over to a thread less system.
So isn't the QR quill bolt already discussed exactly what you're looking for? So the only thing to do now is either:
-Make yourself a QR quill bolt.
or
-Call up Bfold and ask David Lam if he can sell you a Carryme QR quill bolt as a spare part.

OR, if the tube diameters are right you could stick your quill inside the Airnimal riser from Calhoun and then use the pinch bolt on the riser to remove the riser and stem from the steerer as a single piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
This is kind of a cludge but why not use a threaded rod instead of the home made bolt. Then you can use a machine handle such as this http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-handles/=am9810 to secure the quill. Or am I completely of base.
So just a nob to tighten/loosen the bolt? I imagine it would take a lot of force and turning to get it as tight as a QR or else QRs would never have been invented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiwi View Post


1st try, no good. (well it probably would be fine for flat bars)
Yeah that's just what I was thinking for a QR handlebar on a threadless stem!

What's the problem, too much leverage from the bull horns causes it to turn, but it doesn't slide left/right so should work for a flat bar? Is that a normal seatpost binder bolt working as drop in replacement for the stem bolt or is it a little more work than that?

Last edited by chucky; 01-17-11 at 02:48 PM.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 03:09 PM   #22
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,221
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Quote:
the question is why would a QR bolt need to be more durable than a regular nonQR bolt?
depends on how much you want to use this QR feature . leave it alone and thread in aluminum is fine.

fatigue from Tension and Release cycles may not be so kind.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:57 PM   #23
chucky
It's got electrolytes!
 
chucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
depends on how much you want to use this QR feature . leave it alone and thread in aluminum is fine.

fatigue from Tension and Release cycles may not be so kind.
I see. So although there might not be any movement of the threads, they will be loaded under tension when the QR is closed and alternately relaxed when the QR is open...leading to flexure and potential failure.

Good point, but for what I personally have in mind I don't anticipate using the QR feature much. My intention is for handlebar removal on the Carryme where the QR quill allows the the stem to be oriented appropriately and the proposed QR (threadless) stem would only be rarely needed to remove the bar from the stem for maximum compactness.

Thanks for you advice.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 02:18 PM   #24
Quiwi
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
Yeah that's just what I was thinking for a QR handlebar on a threadless stem!

What's the problem, too much leverage from the bull horns causes it to turn, but it doesn't slide left/right so should work for a flat bar? Is that a normal seatpost binder bolt working as drop in replacement for the stem bolt or is it a little more work than that?
It is a normal seatpost binder bolt. It was threaded the same as the original hex bolt, so I cut off another cm and it went right in. (the stem itself is threaded)

I doubt you could twist a set of flat bars in the stem, but if I put a bit of weight on my bullhorns (shot in the dark, maybe 50lbs of force) it will rotate in the clamp. I think I could possible have a tighter QR, since there's no nut in the back I'm limited to increments of 360 degrees or one whole thread.

I think you're only using flat bars? In such a case I would have no reservations about using a quick release how I currently have it setup.

Last edited by Quiwi; 01-18-11 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarification
Quiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 05:10 PM   #25
chucky
It's got electrolytes!
 
chucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiwi View Post
It is a normal seatpost binder bolt. It was threaded the same as the original hex bolt, so I cut off another cm and it went right in. (the stem itself is threaded)

I doubt you could twist a set of flat bars in the stem, but if I put a bit of weight on my bullhorns (shot in the dark, maybe 50lbs of force) it will rotate in the clamp. I think I could possible have a tighter QR, since there's no nut in the back I'm limited to increments of 360 degrees or one whole thread.

I think you're only using flat bars? In such a case I would have no reservations about using a quick release how I currently have it setup.
Thanks...time for me to start shopping for a flat bar.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 PM.