Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/735211-bikesdirect-mini-velo-upgrade-thread.html)

anthonygeo 09-05-13 08:09 AM

Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread
 
What tires are those? I love the cranks by the way, ill have to look them up for my folder.

thugpipe 09-05-13 06:02 PM

Those are Maxxis Hormworms 20" 1.95" and I run them at 80-90psi and they kick ass! They are however kinda heavy 720g each but they make my bike turn like it is on rails.

I got the cranks off amazon on an overnight price drop for $116 they are sweet.

mirfi 09-09-13 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 16018918)
Hey guys,

I wanted to resurrect this this thread to see if any mods have been going on. For my part, since my knee surgery about a year ago, I've gotten quite a lot stronger, and now need to make some gearing adjustments to the Nano.

I've been running the stock 12-25 cogset off a 54t front chainring, but I hit that combo just about every ride and find myself wanting more gearing on the low end. I'll probably go with a 11-21 8speed cassette and 60t chainring.

Since my old foto host is dead and my older pics gone, here's a current one:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/9...e4fdd908_b.jpg


Chaadster,

I did the 11-32 /56t and gained 11 gear inches. (84.1 to 95.1) It mattered a lot. With a 60t you will be at 101.9.

That will be badass.

Good luck with the knee

Note: for gearing looked at http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Mirfi

chaadster 09-10-13 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfi (Post 16046019)
Chaadster,

I did the 11-32 /56t and gained 11 gear inches. (84.1 to 95.1) It mattered a lot. With a 60t you will be at 101.9.

That will be badass.

Good luck with the knee

Note: for gearing looked at http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Mirfi

Thanks for the well-wishes and the link. I'm familiar with the calculator, though still not that sharp with it; I get GI, but prefer the 'speed at rpm' output. Gain ratios make sense in theory, but I'm too daft to put them to practice!


I wound up getting a pretty 'corn cobb-ish' 11-23 (8sp 11,13,14,15,17,19,21,23) Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette because it was cheap and shiny. I don't know if I'll miss the 12t cog or not, but usually when I'm on that one I'm going for the get-away speed anyway (as opposed to just cruisin'), so it'll probably work.


I haven't ordered a 60t chainring yet; finding affordable black ones was difficult, but there are some Driveline brand ones on ebay right now that I will probably order soon. They've got polished highlights, too, so should look good.

mirfi 09-10-13 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 16049771)
Thanks for the well-wishes and the link. I'm familiar with the calculator, though still not that sharp with it; I get GI, but prefer the 'speed at rpm' output. Gain ratios make sense in theory, but I'm too daft to put them to practice!


I wound up getting a pretty 'corn cobb-ish' 11-23 (8sp 11,13,14,15,17,19,21,23) Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette because it was cheap and shiny. I don't know if I'll miss the 12t cog or not, but usually when I'm on that one I'm going for the get-away speed anyway (as opposed to just cruisin'), so it'll probably work.


I haven't ordered a 60t chainring yet; finding affordable black ones was difficult, but there are some Driveline brand ones on ebay right now that I will probably order soon. They've got polished highlights, too, so should look good.

Chaadster,

Speed with RPM makes more practical sense that is easier to relate to. Considering that's why I messed with the gears, I could never keep up with the "big tire" bikes and was pedaling like crazy when the others were not. Thanks.

I think I got a big chainring from www.hostelshoppe.com and might be a Vuelta, (I've upgraded the gearing on a Downtube FS9 a few years ago).

Mirfi

chaadster 09-13-13 09:29 PM

Just as an informational follow-up, I think the Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette is crap. I installed it yesterday, and after futzing with the derailleur to no end, I just can't get the second smallest cog to pick up the chain consistently, and when it does have it, to stop grinding noisily away at it.

I don't know if it is a spacing problem or a tooth profile problem, but I even took it over to my guy at the shop (big up to Casey over at Tree Fort!) after failing to getting it running right, and he couldn't get it to work either. After discussing pulleys, chains, checking hanger alignment, double checking cable housing and lubing everything up, we concluded it was the cassette; everything was running fine before I swapped that one in.

I'm going to try to frankenstein the fix by mixing the the older and new cassettes to see if there's a combo that shifts well but still allows me to run the 11.

I'll keep y'all posted.

mconlonx 09-14-13 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thugpipe (Post 16033218)

Woah! That's a fantastic build on the Bully. Well done! :thumb:

Of course, it's begging for a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes...

thugpipe 09-14-13 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mconlonx (Post 16066160)
Woah! That's a fantastic build on the Bully. Well done! :thumb:

Of course, it's begging for a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes...

Thanks.

at some point I will probably go for hydraulic brakes but I was thinking of Magura brakes in part due to the limited real estate on the narrow bars and their levers I think would fit a little nicer that or I have to try and fit a banjo fitting to a shimano lever
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/9...980fb55e_b.jpg

chaadster 09-15-13 03:17 AM

So, that Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette is a piece of crap. I didn't try a different chain-- and I acknowledge that the stock Sunrace is itself a POS-- but I did try swapping in the stock 13t cog without much improvement, and settled on, ultimately, just using the Origin8 small 11t cog and lockring on the stock cassette in place of the stock 12t and lockring. It restored shifting performance (well, not the lockring), so I'm happy about that.

I remember the improvement in shifting when I went from freewheels to my first Hyperglide cassette, but haven't thought about cassette performance in the intervening 25 years. Lesson learned, I guess.

By the way, has anyone run a 9spd chain on their Nano or other 8spd cassette equipped bike? I'm wondering if the narrower width will help mitigate the awful chain line when crossed over...and the KMC in gold would be pretty jazzy!

Cy Trivialities 10-27-13 02:46 AM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7459/1...621d91c7_b.jpg

dynaryder 10-27-13 04:36 PM

Very nicely done.

chaadster 10-28-13 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cy Trivialities (Post 16195386)

Tuff!

The blackout treatment looks great, and I bet those wheels were a real improvement over stock. I'll probably do wheels on mine over the winter; those are Velocity A23 MSWs?

Cy Trivialities 10-31-13 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 16197817)
Tuff!

The blackout treatment looks great, and I bet those wheels were a real improvement over stock. I'll probably do wheels on mine over the winter; those are Velocity A23 MSWs?

thanks, its a velocity aeroheat. couldnt be happier with this build.

mirfi 11-04-13 09:32 AM

Did you ever get an answer on the chain?

chaadster 11-04-13 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfi (Post 16217738)
Did you ever get an answer on the chain?

Me? About the 9spd chain on the 8spd cassette? No, not here, and I haven't talked to my mechanic yet about it, but as winter arrives, I'll start getting into some bike projects, so we'll see.

darukhan 11-04-13 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thugpipe (Post 16033218)

I love the bike ....AND.... I love that Bertoia chair!!! The modern magazine rack is nice too. Also, I have that same dark brown Expedit bookcase, except mine is full of records, not books.
(OK, I'm done stalking your photo now.) :thumb:

thugpipe 11-04-13 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darukhan (Post 16220059)
I love the bike ....AND.... I love that Bertoia chair!!! The modern magazine rack is nice too. Also, I have that same dark brown Expedit bookcase, except mine is full of records, not books.
(OK, I'm done stalking your photo now.) :thumb:

I think everyone on earth has one of those Expedit bookshelves, good eye on the Bertoia I just wish I had the original cushion for it the only really nice modern furniture I have is that chair and a small Saarinen tulip table.

Cy Trivialities
Funny enough this bike also has velocity Aeroheat rims but in non-MSW because of the disc brakes(it actually cost me more)

mirfi 11-06-13 07:57 PM

Well, I did a 36 mile ride with the bike club a couple weeks ago. My neck hurt for a week. So, I decided to put on some handlebars that were sitting around. I'm 6' 240, so I was always a little cramped with the drop down.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349581

I took the old bars off intact in case I wanted to switch back. But after I tested it on the BaltimoreBikeParty last week ain't no way I'm switching back.

Mirfi

Lalato 11-06-13 08:45 PM

If there was supposed to be a picture there, I don't see it.

mirfi 11-07-13 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=349691

Hope this image works, it is 84KB

dynaryder 11-07-13 05:12 PM

^^^Needs metal-flake paint and a banana seat.

darukhan 11-08-13 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 16063921)
Just as an informational follow-up, I think the Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette is crap. I installed it yesterday, and after futzing with the derailleur to no end, I just can't get the second smallest cog to pick up the chain consistently, and when it does have it, to stop grinding noisily away at it.

I don't know if it is a spacing problem or a tooth profile problem, but I even took it over to my guy at the shop (big up to Casey over at Tree Fort!) after failing to getting it running right, and he couldn't get it to work either. After discussing pulleys, chains, checking hanger alignment, double checking cable housing and lubing everything up, we concluded it was the cassette; everything was running fine before I swapped that one in.

I'm going to try to frankenstein the fix by mixing the the older and new cassettes to see if there's a combo that shifts well but still allows me to run the 11.

I'll keep y'all posted.

I'm curious what your reasons were for going with the Origin 8 cassette (over Shiman, SRAM, Campy, usual suspects, etc.)?

Is the Origin 8 cassette very light, or was it price?

chaadster 11-08-13 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darukhan (Post 16229525)
I'm curious what your reasons were for going with the Origin 8 cassette (over Shiman, SRAM, Campy, usual suspects, etc.)?

Is the Origin 8 cassette very light, or was it price?

As I said above, I went with it because it was cheap and shiny, but I think I was having a hard time finding any 11-23 8speed cassettes.

I've got the 60t chainring on the way, so I'll see how that does me.

Lalato 11-09-13 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirfi (Post 16227894)

Nice! I agree that you need a banana seat. :)

mirfi 11-11-13 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalato (Post 16233416)
Nice! I agree that you need a banana seat. :)

You guys reminded me. I have a banana seat up in the rafters of my garage. Once had it on a huge Schwinn varsity (along with hi-raise handlebars). Hmmm.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 PM.