Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-13, 08:09 AM   #501
anthonygeo
Senior Member
 
anthonygeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western kentucky
Bikes: Kickbike, Raleigh M60, Electra Cruiser, Marin Nail Trail, Schwinn Hinge
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread

What tires are those? I love the cranks by the way, ill have to look them up for my folder.
anthonygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 06:02 PM   #502
thugpipe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Those are Maxxis Hormworms 20"× 1.95" and I run them at 80-90psi and they kick ass! They are however kinda heavy 720g each but they make my bike turn like it is on rails.

I got the cranks off amazon on an overnight price drop for $116 they are sweet.
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 06:49 AM   #503
mirfi
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Hey guys,

I wanted to resurrect this this thread to see if any mods have been going on. For my part, since my knee surgery about a year ago, I've gotten quite a lot stronger, and now need to make some gearing adjustments to the Nano.

I've been running the stock 12-25 cogset off a 54t front chainring, but I hit that combo just about every ride and find myself wanting more gearing on the low end. I'll probably go with a 11-21 8speed cassette and 60t chainring.

Since my old foto host is dead and my older pics gone, here's a current one:


Chaadster,

I did the 11-32 /56t and gained 11 gear inches. (84.1 to 95.1) It mattered a lot. With a 60t you will be at 101.9.

That will be badass.

Good luck with the knee

Note: for gearing looked at http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Mirfi
mirfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 05:35 AM   #504
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,881
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirfi View Post
Chaadster,

I did the 11-32 /56t and gained 11 gear inches. (84.1 to 95.1) It mattered a lot. With a 60t you will be at 101.9.

That will be badass.

Good luck with the knee

Note: for gearing looked at http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Mirfi
Thanks for the well-wishes and the link. I'm familiar with the calculator, though still not that sharp with it; I get GI, but prefer the 'speed at rpm' output. Gain ratios make sense in theory, but I'm too daft to put them to practice!


I wound up getting a pretty 'corn cobb-ish' 11-23 (8sp 11,13,14,15,17,19,21,23) Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette because it was cheap and shiny. I don't know if I'll miss the 12t cog or not, but usually when I'm on that one I'm going for the get-away speed anyway (as opposed to just cruisin'), so it'll probably work.


I haven't ordered a 60t chainring yet; finding affordable black ones was difficult, but there are some Driveline brand ones on ebay right now that I will probably order soon. They've got polished highlights, too, so should look good.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-13, 09:45 AM   #505
mirfi
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Thanks for the well-wishes and the link. I'm familiar with the calculator, though still not that sharp with it; I get GI, but prefer the 'speed at rpm' output. Gain ratios make sense in theory, but I'm too daft to put them to practice!


I wound up getting a pretty 'corn cobb-ish' 11-23 (8sp 11,13,14,15,17,19,21,23) Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette because it was cheap and shiny. I don't know if I'll miss the 12t cog or not, but usually when I'm on that one I'm going for the get-away speed anyway (as opposed to just cruisin'), so it'll probably work.


I haven't ordered a 60t chainring yet; finding affordable black ones was difficult, but there are some Driveline brand ones on ebay right now that I will probably order soon. They've got polished highlights, too, so should look good.
Chaadster,

Speed with RPM makes more practical sense that is easier to relate to. Considering that's why I messed with the gears, I could never keep up with the "big tire" bikes and was pedaling like crazy when the others were not. Thanks.

I think I got a big chainring from www.hostelshoppe.com and might be a Vuelta, (I've upgraded the gearing on a Downtube FS9 a few years ago).

Mirfi
mirfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 09:29 PM   #506
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,881
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Just as an informational follow-up, I think the Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette is crap. I installed it yesterday, and after futzing with the derailleur to no end, I just can't get the second smallest cog to pick up the chain consistently, and when it does have it, to stop grinding noisily away at it.

I don't know if it is a spacing problem or a tooth profile problem, but I even took it over to my guy at the shop (big up to Casey over at Tree Fort!) after failing to getting it running right, and he couldn't get it to work either. After discussing pulleys, chains, checking hanger alignment, double checking cable housing and lubing everything up, we concluded it was the cassette; everything was running fine before I swapped that one in.

I'm going to try to frankenstein the fix by mixing the the older and new cassettes to see if there's a combo that shifts well but still allows me to run the 11.

I'll keep y'all posted.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 07:21 PM   #507
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugpipe View Post
Woah! That's a fantastic build on the Bully. Well done!

Of course, it's begging for a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 09:40 PM   #508
thugpipe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Woah! That's a fantastic build on the Bully. Well done!

Of course, it's begging for a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes...
Thanks.

at some point I will probably go for hydraulic brakes but I was thinking of Magura brakes in part due to the limited real estate on the narrow bars and their levers I think would fit a little nicer that or I have to try and fit a banjo fitting to a shimano lever
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 03:17 AM   #509
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,881
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
So, that Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette is a piece of crap. I didn't try a different chain-- and I acknowledge that the stock Sunrace is itself a POS-- but I did try swapping in the stock 13t cog without much improvement, and settled on, ultimately, just using the Origin8 small 11t cog and lockring on the stock cassette in place of the stock 12t and lockring. It restored shifting performance (well, not the lockring), so I'm happy about that.

I remember the improvement in shifting when I went from freewheels to my first Hyperglide cassette, but haven't thought about cassette performance in the intervening 25 years. Lesson learned, I guess.

By the way, has anyone run a 9spd chain on their Nano or other 8spd cassette equipped bike? I'm wondering if the narrower width will help mitigate the awful chain line when crossed over...and the KMC in gold would be pretty jazzy!
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 02:46 AM   #510
Cy Trivialities
shtface
 
Cy Trivialities's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cy Trivialities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 04:36 PM   #511
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Very nicely done.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 06:48 AM   #512
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,881
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy Trivialities View Post
Tuff!

The blackout treatment looks great, and I bet those wheels were a real improvement over stock. I'll probably do wheels on mine over the winter; those are Velocity A23 MSWs?
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 08:32 PM   #513
Cy Trivialities
shtface
 
Cy Trivialities's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Queens NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Tuff!

The blackout treatment looks great, and I bet those wheels were a real improvement over stock. I'll probably do wheels on mine over the winter; those are Velocity A23 MSWs?
thanks, its a velocity aeroheat. couldnt be happier with this build.
Cy Trivialities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 09:32 AM   #514
mirfi
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you ever get an answer on the chain?
mirfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 06:11 PM   #515
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,881
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirfi View Post
Did you ever get an answer on the chain?
Me? About the 9spd chain on the 8spd cassette? No, not here, and I haven't talked to my mechanic yet about it, but as winter arrives, I'll start getting into some bike projects, so we'll see.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 10:04 PM   #516
darukhan
Senior Member
 
darukhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugpipe View Post


I love the bike ....AND.... I love that Bertoia chair!!! The modern magazine rack is nice too. Also, I have that same dark brown Expedit bookcase, except mine is full of records, not books.
(OK, I'm done stalking your photo now.)
darukhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 10:22 PM   #517
thugpipe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darukhan View Post
I love the bike ....AND.... I love that Bertoia chair!!! The modern magazine rack is nice too. Also, I have that same dark brown Expedit bookcase, except mine is full of records, not books.
(OK, I'm done stalking your photo now.)
I think everyone on earth has one of those Expedit bookshelves, good eye on the Bertoia I just wish I had the original cushion for it the only really nice modern furniture I have is that chair and a small Saarinen tulip table.

Cy Trivialities
Funny enough this bike also has velocity Aeroheat rims but in non-MSW because of the disc brakes(it actually cost me more)

Last edited by thugpipe; 11-05-13 at 04:10 PM.
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 07:57 PM   #518
mirfi
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I did a 36 mile ride with the bike club a couple weeks ago. My neck hurt for a week. So, I decided to put on some handlebars that were sitting around. I'm 6' 240, so I was always a little cramped with the drop down.



I took the old bars off intact in case I wanted to switch back. But after I tested it on the BaltimoreBikeParty last week ain't no way I'm switching back.

Mirfi
mirfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 08:45 PM   #519
Lalato
Senior Member
 
Lalato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area and Sacramento
Bikes: Bike Friday Tikit
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If there was supposed to be a picture there, I don't see it.
Lalato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 02:44 PM   #520
mirfi
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Hope this image works, it is 84KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiRise (5).JPG (84.2 KB, 77 views)
mirfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 05:12 PM   #521
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^Needs metal-flake paint and a banana seat.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-13, 08:20 AM   #522
darukhan
Senior Member
 
darukhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Just as an informational follow-up, I think the Origin8 Pro Pulsion cassette is crap. I installed it yesterday, and after futzing with the derailleur to no end, I just can't get the second smallest cog to pick up the chain consistently, and when it does have it, to stop grinding noisily away at it.

I don't know if it is a spacing problem or a tooth profile problem, but I even took it over to my guy at the shop (big up to Casey over at Tree Fort!) after failing to getting it running right, and he couldn't get it to work either. After discussing pulleys, chains, checking hanger alignment, double checking cable housing and lubing everything up, we concluded it was the cassette; everything was running fine before I swapped that one in.

I'm going to try to frankenstein the fix by mixing the the older and new cassettes to see if there's a combo that shifts well but still allows me to run the 11.

I'll keep y'all posted.
I'm curious what your reasons were for going with the Origin 8 cassette (over Shiman, SRAM, Campy, usual suspects, etc.)?

Is the Origin 8 cassette very light, or was it price?
darukhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-13, 09:51 AM   #523
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée
Posts: 7,881
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darukhan View Post
I'm curious what your reasons were for going with the Origin 8 cassette (over Shiman, SRAM, Campy, usual suspects, etc.)?

Is the Origin 8 cassette very light, or was it price?
As I said above, I went with it because it was cheap and shiny, but I think I was having a hard time finding any 11-23 8speed cassettes.

I've got the 60t chainring on the way, so I'll see how that does me.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 04:52 PM   #524
Lalato
Senior Member
 
Lalato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area and Sacramento
Bikes: Bike Friday Tikit
Posts: 1,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirfi View Post


Hope this image works, it is 84KB
Nice! I agree that you need a banana seat.
Lalato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 07:56 PM   #525
mirfi
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Bikes: DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalato View Post
Nice! I agree that you need a banana seat.
You guys reminded me. I have a banana seat up in the rafters of my garage. Once had it on a huge Schwinn varsity (along with hi-raise handlebars). Hmmm.
mirfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.