Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-17, 08:17 PM   #701
Cowick22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Be aware that looks exactly like the stock unit on the Nano, and so there is probably no point in replacing with same.
Good call. Thanks for looking out. I guess I'll just have to deal with the stock HS for now or maybe look into the VO jis HS for $28. I would rather have it in black so I'll probably hold off doing anything to it except greasing it for now. Thanks again
Cowick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-17, 11:05 AM   #702
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 5,672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
A complete rebuild can easily exceed the cost of the bike.

Main areas to watch for is swapping 451 wheels for the more common 406 size, better brakes, taller seat post and new bars. Plus new tires.

That's why a mini velo is inexpensive but you can drop serious coin configuring it the way you want.
NormanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-17, 01:40 AM   #703
Cowick22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
A complete rebuild can easily exceed the cost of the bike.

Main areas to watch for is swapping 451 wheels for the more common 406 size, better brakes, taller seat post and new bars. Plus new tires.

That's why a mini velo is inexpensive but you can drop serious coin configuring it the way you want.
NormanF you are correct, a rebuild can exceed the cost of the bike. I myself am trying to keep my costs down but they are definitely exceeding what I thought they would be. I am attempting to keep the brake calipers and just replace the brake levers and pads (with Kool stop continentals). And hoping I don't need to drop another $50 on a set of tektro r559's. I still need to get new skewers and a few other things before I assemble my Nano.

But when I do you all can expect some pics.
Cowick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-17, 04:37 AM   #704
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Amen. I'm still dropping...





Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
A complete rebuild can easily exceed the cost of the bike.

...

That's why a mini velo is inexpensive but you can drop serious coin configuring it the way you want.
Abu Mahendra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 06:41 PM   #705
Cowick22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
Amen. I'm still dropping...

Hey Abu,
I have to say again, I love that mixte mini velo! I have a 52cm mixte that I just completely rebuilt and man is it a great riding bike. I need to create a thread for it as I purchased it from another bikeforums member.

May I ask what bike is that and is it available in the US?

I am thinking about getting a mini velo for the wife in the near future and I know she would NOT want a diamond frame. So a mixte like that might suit her fancy, and if she didn't like it, I could always retrofit it to fit me! :-D
Cowick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 08:18 PM   #706
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)


Thanks, man. I dropped another $50 on my mixtevelo this weekend, with the installation on new tires and a leather-lined bottle cage. Anyway, I don't think you can get this, a Bannard Sunny, anywhere anymore. Bannard is a bit of a zombie, and no longer makes the Sunny.

If you are keen to drop some coin, an option in Bangkok is a Bruno Minivelo.


Another is a Made-in-Kyoto E.B.S. Leaf. You can use a Japanese forwarder like Tenso.


SOMA makes a mixte frame, the Buena Vista, in 559 and 622 size. Bruce Metras, a regular here, mentioned he was building one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowick22 View Post
Hey Abu,
I have to say again, I love that mixte mini velo! I have a 52cm mixte that I just completely rebuilt and man is it a great riding bike. I need to create a thread for it as I purchased it from another bikeforums member.

May I ask what bike is that and is it available in the US?

I am thinking about getting a mini velo for the wife in the near future and I know she would NOT want a diamond frame. So a mixte like that might suit her fancy, and if she didn't like it, I could always retrofit it to fit me! :-D

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-02-17 at 08:32 PM.
Abu Mahendra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 08:08 PM   #707
Cowick22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post


Thanks, man. I dropped another $50 on my mixtevelo this weekend, with the installation on new tires and a leather-lined bottle cage. Anyway, I don't think you can get this, a Bannard Sunny, anywhere anymore. Bannard is a bit of a zombie, and no longer makes the Sunny.

If you are keen to drop some coin, an option in Bangkok is a Bruno Minivelo.


Another is a Made-in-Kyoto E.B.S. Leaf. You can use a Japanese forwarder like Tenso.


SOMA makes a mixte frame, the Buena Vista, in 559 and 622 size. Bruce Metras, a regular here, mentioned he was building one.
Nice! A leather bottle cage will look really nice on that frame.

I am interested in the Bruno Mixte F for her and it's listed at 52000 yen which is about $465.00 but I'm not sure how much the 3rd party shipping would cost. Have you ever ridden a Bruno? Any idea about the quality of frame and components like? If I would have known it was possible to get 3rd party shipping I might have gotten a Bruno minivelo 20 instead on my Nano.
Anyhoo, thanks for sending these tips my way... Something to think about if she decides she wants a minivelo. I certainly appreciate it.
Cowick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 08:16 PM   #708
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Never ridden a Bruno, but have seen and pawed the Minivelo. Nothing wrong with most of the components. It's a bit old school, with threaded headset, quill stem, stem mounted shifters. My only beef is the low BB height due to the 406 wheels and horizontal chainstay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowick22 View Post
Nice! A leather bottle cage will look really nice on that frame.

I am interested in the Bruno Mixte F for her and it's listed at 52000 yen which is about $465.00 but I'm not sure how much the 3rd party shipping would cost. Have you ever ridden a Bruno? Any idea about the quality of frame and components like? If I would have known it was possible to get 3rd party shipping I might have gotten a Bruno minivelo 20 instead on my Nano.
Anyhoo, thanks for sending these tips my way... Something to think about if she decides she wants a minivelo. I certainly appreciate it.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-10-17 at 04:01 AM.
Abu Mahendra is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 AM.